Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Magic] Magic Items, Magery and Missile Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Really? Unless the GM comes right out and states "There are no Low/No Mana Zones" almost everyone in our games that buys magic items pays the premium "just in case".

Unless they simply can't afford it. But even then I've seen characters go back and trade-up when the had the cash.
If you follow the example of Yrth, Low Mana Zones normally exist on a national basis rather than being random hazards.

You could limit yourself to Normal Mana only pretty easily and without giving up anything in -particular. Again on Yrth, Low Mana means low interest for most delver-types.

So no, I've never seen anybody buy items at Power 20 or a steep surcharge.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If you follow the example of Yrth, Low Mana Zones normally exist on a national basis rather than being random hazards.
Which is boring and completely predictable.

Quote:
You could limit yourself to Normal Mana only pretty easily and without giving up anything in -particular. Again on Yrth, Low Mana means low interest for most delver-types.
Until the mission requires travel to one of those "national low man zones" or into an area of freakish low mana or some other such thing.

So, as I said, unless the GM stated "There are no Low/No Mana Zones"... which also equates to, "No, I won't throw this sort of thing at you without some warning".

Quote:
So no, I've never seen anybody buy items at Power 20 or a steep surcharge.
If that works for you, great. In games where I let money set part of the character's power level, I toss in a few odd curves to keep them spending.

I do it even when they're spnding CP on those Magic Powers.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Which is boring and completely predictable.
<shrug> It may be boring to you as a GM but my opinion and my experience is different than yours.

If you ask "Why is it predictable?" the answer is obviously that it's noticeable to every magic-user in the vicinity. In a realistic world with Mana this would definitely be the case.

If you ask "Why isn't it boring?" and my answer is that it doesn't amuse me to subject my players to petty harassment. It's a trick that would only work once anyway.

I also can't think of good reasons why any bad guy worth chasing would head for Low Mana. Such a thing ought to handicap him at least as much as it would the PCs. Probably more, the Barbarian's favorite weapon is ancient and powerful.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:16 AM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
<shrug> It may be boring to you as a GM but my opinion and my experience is different than yours.
It's boring to me as a Player.

Quote:
I also can't think of good reasons why any bad guy worth chasing would head for Low Mana. Such a thing ought to handicap him at least as much as it would the PCs. Probably more, the Barbarian's favorite weapon is ancient and powerful.
When most of one's primary enemies are using Magic, one heads for the places of No Mana.

It's easier to whip up on a Barbarian when you no longer have to even consider the glass cannons he's meat shielding.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
When most of one's primary enemies are using Magic, one heads for the places of No Mana.

Only if one is not using Magic for anything important oneself. Which poverty of items to be looted makes one not worth chasing.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:19 PM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Only if one is not using Magic for anything important oneself. Which poverty of items to be looted makes one not worth chasing.
Either your players care nothing for revenge, or they've never been properly motivated.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Either your players care nothing for revenge, or they've never been properly motivated.
My players both care little for revenge and leave few survivors whom they cold conceivably want to take revenge on anyway.

They did try and hunt down a lich once so they could make his death really permanent but a decoy spell sent them to Undermountain.

There they found a statue of the lich with his thumb against his nose and his fingers spread. The cleric was heard to observe "I don't think that's his soul object." and they gave the idea up as a bad job.

Note that this trick wouldn't have worked as well in Low Mana. My bad guys can use Magic too ad Low Mana would tend to handicap them at least as much as it would the PCs..
Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #18
CraigR

Quote:
My players both care little for revenge and leave few survivors whom they cold conceivably want to take revenge on anyway.
Boy, that's the truth.

Quote:
They did try and hunt down a lich once so they could make his death really permanent but a decoy spell sent them to Undermountain.

There they found a statue of the lich with his thumb against his nose and his fingers spread. The cleric was heard to observe "I don't think that's his soul object." and they gave the idea up as a bad job.
On the other hand, we did a (BIG) favor for a green dragon, who either feels friendship toward the group or a debt. Either would be useful.
Planet Flipside
CraigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:56 PM   #19
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
So no one ever comes after them and survives or escapes and threatens anything they care about?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #20
Fred Brackin

Quote:
So no one ever comes after them and survives or escapes and threatens anything they care about?
I thought we'd already discussed the lack of survivors. There's just that one lich and he doesn't want to see them again. They might get luckier next time. They've definitely already seen one of his best tricks.

Tags
magic, magic item, magic item creation