Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
Thirdpower

Default Bridge Defense Value and Dropped OGRE's.

(FYI, reported this on Steam, just noting it here for discussion)

In Scenario 2 (now that we can blow bridges) I took out the large western bridges, dropping the MkI into the river in the process. The graphics showed debris and the OGRE 'stuck' there the rest of the game however it did not take any damage from the drop.

If my rule reading is correct, it should have taken 4D6 damage to treads and 1:1 against all components. Rules also say 'worse' of swamp/rubble for movement so it could have potentially been 'stuck' or maybe a bug. GEV's were also able to cross over the destroyed bridge sections w/o issue.

I had to completely destroy both OGRE's to end the scenario.

Edit: Forgot to note, the bridge dv was 4 instead of 8.

Last edited by Thirdpower; 10-10-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Thirdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Bridge Defense Value and Dropped OGRE's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdpower View Post
(FYI, reported this on Steam, just noting it here for discussion)

In Scenario 2 (now that we can blow bridges) I took out the large western bridges, dropping the MkI into the river in the process. The graphics showed debris and the OGRE 'stuck' there the rest of the game however it did not take any damage from the drop.

If my rule reading is correct, it should have taken 4D6 damage to treads and 1:1 against all components. Rules also say 'worse' of swamp/rubble for movement so it could have potentially been 'stuck' or maybe a bug. GEV's were also able to cross over the destroyed bridge sections w/o issue.

I had to completely destroy both OGRE's to end the scenario.
Ogre's should definitely take damage when getting dropped from a River bridge, and "worse of swamp/rubble" has nothing to do with that outcome. Additionally, it would not be stuck because it didn't enter the hex (see other discussions about road destruction over swamps). GEVs passing through without issue, however, is an issue.
13.02.2 Results of river bridge destruction. If a river bridge is destroyed, place a “Bridge Out” overlay on it. GEVs can no longer cross the river surface in that hex – and, of course, units cannot cross the river on the destroyed bridge. For movement purposes, all units treat that hex as the worse of swamp or rubble. For defense purposes, the hex is rubble.
When a river bridge is destroyed, any unit on its center hex is also destroyed, except an Ogre. An Ogre falls into the river in that hex. Four dice are rolled; this is the amount of damage done to the Ogre’s treads. Each other component of the Ogre immediately suffers a 1-1 attack.
This doesn't mean GEVs can't cross it at all, it means they don't get the road bonus anymore and treat it as swamp. In any case, GEVs freely moving through is a big no-no.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
Thirdpower

Which is what I was thinking.

One 'could' argue the OGRE entered the hex..... vertically, if it was classified as 'swamp' which gives the potential of 'stuck'.

I'm thinking they didn't plan for our twisted minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Ogre's should definitely take damage when getting dropped from a River bridge, and "worse of swamp/rubble" has nothing to do with that outcome. Additionally, it would not be stuck because it didn't enter the hex (see other discussions about road destruction over swamps). GEVs passing through without issue, however, is an issue.
13.02.2 Results of river bridge destruction. If a river bridge is destroyed, place a “Bridge Out” overlay on it. GEVs can no longer cross the river surface in that hex – and, of course, units cannot cross the river on the destroyed bridge. For movement purposes, all units treat that hex as the worse of swamp or rubble. For defense purposes, the hex is rubble.
When a river bridge is destroyed, any unit on its center hex is also destroyed, except an Ogre. An Ogre falls into the river in that hex. Four dice are rolled; this is the amount of damage done to the Ogre’s treads. Each other component of the Ogre immediately suffers a 1-1 attack.
This doesn't mean GEVs can't cross it at all, it means they don't get the road bonus anymore and treat it as swamp. In any case, GEVs freely moving through is a big no-no.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdpower View Post
Which is what I was thinking.

One 'could' argue the OGRE entered the hex..... vertically, if it was classified as 'swamp' which gives the potential of 'stuck'.

I'm thinking they didn't plan for our twisted minds.
Definitely not, but Steve's no less twisted ;-)

The terrain question is in the FAQ
13.02, 13.02.2
What is the effect on units when the terrain type of the hex which they are in changes? Do they have to make stuck or disabled rolls?

No. Stuck or disabled checks are only made when entering a hex. However destruction of road/railroad within the hex may affect the cost of moving into the next hex (see 5.07).
Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Thirdpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Definitely not, but Steve's no less twisted ;-)

The terrain question is in the FAQ
13.02, 13.02.2
What is the effect on units when the terrain type of the hex which they are in changes? Do they have to make stuck or disabled rolls?

No. Stuck or disabled checks are only made when entering a hex. However destruction of road/railroad within the hex may affect the cost of moving into the next hex (see 5.07).
So... bug. That would explain why I had to completely kill both OGRE's after they were disabled. It didn't recognize the MkI as such.