Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2016, 12:56 AM   #1
JMD

Default GURPS Discord Server is up and running!

Mook started up a GURPS discord. I'm on it all day everyday. Come help make it a success. https://discord.gg/vk5GtQy

The forums are great for long discussions and lost of Q&A, but this discord could really help fill the void of *immediate* chat that we seem to lack, allowing us to grow closer as a community and maybe even schedule play over voice!

One thing at a time. Come join in, fill the discord with warm bodies, and then we'll make it happen. We're gonna GURPS the hell out of this discord guys, so come on in.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:36 AM   #2
mook

Default Re: GURPS Discord Server is up and running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
We're gonna GURPS the hell out of this discord guys, so come on in.
I love when "GURPS" is used as a verb.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
Phantasm

As someone who has Incompetence (Social Media) and/or Incompetence (Current Affairs), I have to ask this: what is 'discord' beyond the traditional definition of the word?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
As someone who has Incompetence (Social Media) and/or Incompetence (Current Affairs), I have to ask this: what is 'discord' beyond the traditional definition of the word?
Ditto this. What, exactly, is 'discord', and what does it do? I'm 100% behind any attempt to GURPS the hell out of anything (but I also want to know what I' signing up for before signing up!)
Old 10-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #5
Ptaloth

Discord is a voice chat like teamspeak.
Ptaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
Myrion

It's a cross between text and voice chat programs and currently very "in".
Old 10-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
It's what angels and demons have instead of disadvantages in In Nomine and GURPS In Nomine. However, that might not apply in this context.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I've recently started using discord to run my over-the-internet game.

Its a text chat mixed with a voice chat. We use it because its been more reliable and more system agnostic than google chat, skype, and roll20.

I'm sure there is more you can do with it, but we just started using it and I'm not one of the discord gurus of the group.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #9
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptaloth View Post
Discord is a voice chat like teamspeak.
Of if that doesn't ring any bells, it's a VoIP client, something like Skype. It's aimed at (computer) gamers, as such things are commonly used to play team games like Team Fortress, Overwatch, other multiplayer FPS, or MMOs like World of Warcraft. So it mostly sits in the background and does voice. Other programs in the category include TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, Mumble, and RaidCall. Which one you use is mostly a matter of social convention of the community in question.

Discord (and others) also have text chat functions if you want to type at people. The main advantage of the text chat is that it's persistent, remaining on the server after you log off, so you can leave notes for people. Also it's good for posting links to things on the Web, so you don't have to recite the URL over voice and scribble it down ("that's aitch tee tee pee ess colon slash slash..."). However, it's not meant to be primarily a text platform, so it lacks many features common in web forum software. It's not that kind of persistent text comms.

Discord also has a web-only version, so you don't need to download a client. The web version does have a few limitations -- for instance, it lacks the "Push To Talk (PTT)" feature, and also seems not to work if the web browser isn't focussed (because, say, you've alt-tabbed to your FPS game). But it does mean you don't have to download or update anything if you just want to chat, and not all programs will interfere with it.

Discord and its competitors generally have "servers", which act as ways to limit the conversation to particular groups of people. You'd have a server for your GURPS game, or general GURPS chat, or your WoW raid, or whatever, perhaps many of them. People join the servers, perhaps invitation-only, and within servers there are usually "channels" to have multiple conversations going at once. Everybody in the same channel can talk and hear each other; people in other channels or connected to other servers cannot.

https://discordapp.com/

Last edited by Anaraxes; 10-16-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
JMD

Hi everyone!

Thanks for posting your interest in our discord server!

To answer some of the questions, discord is a combination voice and IRC client. It is very extensible and has many bots to help make moderation, gaming, and social interactions easier. Our goal with this new server is to fill the void of a GURPS chat where none currently exists. I oftentimes wish I could just chat about GURPS or gaming in general with you fine folks, but the forums are a bit too formal for random chatter back and forth, and the threads are pretty heavily structured on single topics. While this is great for a forums-like atmosphere, it does leave something to be desired.

That's where this discord comes in!

On this new server we're hoping to have random chatter galore, as well as share lots of loosy-goosey, wibbly-wobbly character/monster builds, and even schedule one-shots and maybe someday reoccurring campaigns. It would also be a great place to share one-off adventure hooks, critique puzzles, and get some help with your map designs. :)

Come join us! We've got big plans, but need the community's creativity and good vibes to make it happen.

Thanks!
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chat, discord