Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #41
coronatiger

Default Re: Excel Character Sheet

Version 19.1 was just released.

I found an error related to the new Ammunition feature, so I had to fix that.

I also posted an update of Mattea Vishi's character sheet (which hasn't been updated on Google Drive since August). For new readers of the thread, I use Mattea as an example character to demonstrate the use of my Character Sheet.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #42
coronatiger

Version 19.2 was just released.

Seems there was another minor bug that should be fixed. Thanks to J.J. for pointing it out.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:13 PM   #43
Hide

Great Job!

Here are some suggestions for you, this is data you could include in the front-page:
  • Your character’s CP value.
  • A window/space for the character's picture.
  • The calculation of the character’s running speed and jump length/height, including the bonuses from advantages.
  • The psychology section has the potential of auto-filling itself. You could add a column to mark disadvantages and quirks as mental traits. Then, you make the cells from the psychology section look for mental traits in the respective tab.
  • The date of the latest changes.
  • A button to wipe all the worksheet’s data.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:19 AM   #44
coronatiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Great Job!

Here are some suggestions for you, this is data you could include in the front-page:
  • Your character’s CP value.
  • A window/space for the character's picture.
  • The calculation of the character’s running speed and jump length/height, including the bonuses from advantages.
  • The psychology section has the potential of auto-filling itself. You could add a column to mark disadvantages and quirks as mental traits. Then, you make the cells from the psychology section look for mental traits in the respective tab.
  • The date of the latest changes.
  • A button to wipe all the worksheet’s data.
Thanks for the compliment and the suggestions. Some will be implemented, others will not; see my answers below.
  • CP value is displayed on Attributes sheet, alongside a few associated values. Are you suggesting that I move them all, or copy just the CP value, or what? I'm inclined to keep them where they are, but if you make a good argument, I'll consider it.
  • There is a lot of white space on the right side of the Front Page sheet which could be used to hold a picture. I'll make it clearer that this space can be used for this purpose. However, I don't want to create a frame locked to a certain range of cells, since pictures can have different shapes and sizes.
  • Move (Attributes, Current Status) and jump distances (Calculations) are calculated and displayed elsewhere, and I think that's where they should remain. They depend on things like encumbrance and running start, which change frequently, so it doesn't make sense to me to have them on the Front Page. Also, I think of the Front Page as a place for answers to "Who is this character?" like physical and psychological descriptions, not "What stats does this character have?"
  • Good idea about auto-filling the psychology section. It's a little more convoluted than I'm willing to do for a minor release, and I'm not 100% sure I can get it to work the way I'd like. I'll add it to my TODO list, and I'll try to implement it in version 20.0.
  • I've done some googling, and it seems like displaying last save date requires a macro. I could do it, but I've decided I don't want macros in the Character Sheet. Last save date is part of the metadata for the file, so it should be visible elsewhere, like in File Explorer (if you use Windows).
  • If I was allowing myself to write macros for the Character Sheet, I'd add a button for wiping it. I'd also add a button for upgrading to the latest version. But as I said, I'm not doing macros. If you need a clean sheet, just download another copy.
I really appreciate the feedback. It gives me a boost to keep working, keep improving.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #45
Hide

Hey there,

I am referring to the character’s final CP value, just mirroring it, I think it is good for the overview. Attributes has a section with the awarded points history, but also features cells named "Point Value" and "Master PT". It was a little confusing when I first checked it.

I understand your point about the pictures, I agree it is enough if you do as you say.

Yes, the most adequate place for jumping and running stats is the “calculations” tab. To be honest I skipped the tab because its name gave me the impression it was there for the sheet’s internal calculations, and not the player’s (maybe it is just me, but most of the spreadsheet is doing calculations). Perhaps you could rename the calculations tab, for example, to “volatile attributes”.

You know, I was about to write in my previous post that "maybe you do not want macros". I process spread sheets almost every day, so I guess I know what you mean.

I understand the effort it takes coming up with the quality job your workbook is, it is looking great!

Take care!
Old 03-11-2021, 11:30 PM   #46
coronatiger

The big disadvantage to having a so complex workbook, is that you have to have a user manual, too. And that has become its own "monster" of 50+ pages. The players in my groups often take the shortcut of asking me directly when there is something they don't understand about the Character Sheet, and I have to admit that if they ask about an old feature that I don't use myself (for example, none of my current characters are spell casters, so I don't use the Spells sheet), I have to look up the answer in the user manual.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:36 PM   #47
coronatiger

By the way, I'll happily answer questions from other users of the Character Sheet, too.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #48
coronatiger

Version 20.1 is now released, and let me say Wow! It was a big one!

(For those who wonder, version 20.0 was never released, but was used for testing.)

Features, v 20.0:
  • Alternate forms (including racial template) can now be entered in a new sheet, and you can toggle between the different forms with a dropdown list in Current Status. This automatically updates ... everything (I could make a list, but it would be loooong). Check out the user manual or contact me if you have questions.
  • Clarification that the Front Page can be used to hold an image of the character.
  • Fright Check table and Reaction tables added to lookup in Calculations.
  • Psychology (role playing cues) section on Front Page now populated automatically from Traits marked for this purpose.
  • Character point total is mirrored on the Front Page.
  • Minor formatting fixes.
  • Minor bug fixes.

Features, v 20.1:
  • Added data validation to required Front Page cells (character name and race; name is used as a Container, race is used as a Form).
  • Lots of fixes related to alternate forms. Hopefully, everything is working correctly now!
  • Attr Mods now connected to Forms.
  • Traits may negate others, e.g. Dwarf template with Detect (gold), but your dwarf can't, which should count towards the campaign disadvantage limit. Traits can be turned off either by other traits, or by selecting an alternate form that doesn't have that trait.
  • Minor formatting fixes.
  • Minor bug fixes.

Enjoy!

Old 03-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #49
coronatiger

Version 20.2 was just released.

It's now possible to have alternate forms with points in skills, techniques and spells. (These points only apply when you're in the right form.)

Old 03-16-2021, 11:10 PM   #50
Hide

I know you know already, but this workbook looks neat.

Tags
character sheet, game aid