Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-21-2021, 09:16 PM   #11
phiwum

Default Re: Adventures 2 (and all dat loot)

Yes, I agree. I'm still just trying to find a balance. The difference between dangerous (a character or two dying in an adventure, out of say four or five starters) and slaughter is a bit tricky.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:58 AM   #12
hcobb

Balance scenarios in the Death Test way with a lot of small combats that the party can still win even after one of their own goes down from a lucky shot.

After the fight you either loot the body or apply Physicker (as you like) then move on to the next test.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:37 AM   #13
phiwum

Yes, that's exactly what you have to do if you've got a labyrinth or other multiple combat adventure coming up. I'm with you on that, Henry.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:40 AM   #14
Shadekeep

I try not to worry about the players getting too much money. Just because they have it doesn't mean they can always find the things they want to buy with it (charms and youth potions being particularly hard to come by). And rich players make a tempting bandit target, so they may not get to keep it for long anyway.

I like to offer up a special reward in the adventure, something not available outside of the setting. And if there's just one such item, then you get the extra fun of watching the players bicker over who gets it. ^_^
Old 04-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #15
Shadekeep

And I tend to go easy on my players, too. My preference is for role-playing to be the dominant factor as opposed to combat, so once they've created interesting and compelling alter egos I am loathe to slay them outright.

That probably why I've never really got into rule-maxing or exploit-based characters, those character designs which are tailored to uses the systems rules to make the most efficient combat characters. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it can be a fascinating exercise as well. Just not where my priorities lie.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #16
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
And I tend to go easy on my players, too. My preference is for role-playing to be the dominant factor as opposed to combat, so once they've created interesting and compelling alter egos I am loathe to slay them outright.
Yes, that's the rub. I'm trying to slowly increase the danger, but at this point, the characters are well-developed and making the campaign go quickly deadly would be unfair because it's unexpected and there's some investment in the current crew.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #17
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
... and making the campaign go quickly deadly would be unfair because it's unexpected and there's some investment in the current crew.
Agreed. It's all about meeting expectations. After all, you're playing to have fun.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #18
hcobb

It's a fair game iff a TPK results from either stupid play or really really bad luck.