Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2021, 11:23 PM   #1
lugaid

Default GURPS Combat Cards Expanded?

Does anyone know if there's any plan to put out a booster or whatever of Combat Cards that cover the optional maneuvers from books like Martial Arts? A quick search of the forum didn't turn up anything, but it's not like I'm a master of search terms.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: GURPS Combat Cards Expanded?

Do you mean the pdf or the physical cards?
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
Plane

if we did expand it, do any new color options jump out? presently there's:

4 yellows (do nothings)
3 reds (A,MAA/F)
3 greens (2 maneuvers: Move and Change Posture, and one for "crouch" as free action)
5 oranges (ready/aim/evaluate/concentrate/wait)
6 more reds (AOA variations)
4 blues (two AOD variations, two combat options: retreat and Dodge and Drop)
3 blacks (major wound, under 1/3 HP, 0 or less HP)

If we were going to update this, here are some changes I could see.

1) two more black cards: should also have some for FP being under 1/3 and FP being 0 or less. If using last gasp rules, rather than separate cards for each 20% loss in FP, you could probably just use counters like they do in MTG, as I imagine players might use to track HP/FP so long as it were in small amounts.

2) three more blue cards: since Increased Defense must specify ONE, you should have separate cards for Increased Dodge / Increased Parry / Increased Block. Plus then also add one for "All-Out Defense (Mental Defense)" in psionic powers

3) one extra orange card: for all-out concentrate. Possibly two if you want to introduce a logical "committed concentrate"

4) swap out 2 red cards: we no longer need a "Feint" maneuver or AOA:Feint, so replace them with Committed Attack and AOA (Long)

5) create a new "white" card category for free actions (Feint being one) and create cards for other stuff like Extra Effort in Combat.

6) One green (crouch) and two blues (retreat, dodge and drop) could also be made white cards, since combat options (offense or defense) effectively operate like free actions too. You could maybe keep a slight green/red border to indicate offensive/defensive ones but it should be less prominent than the thick borders used by the maneuvers: maybe a dotted-line?

7) more active defense options for white cards: sideslip, (fore)slip, drop, sprawl

8) if we have a card representing a retreat choice, could be interesting to have cards for active defenses too, like a dodge card, parry card and block card. Just like keeping track of whether or not you retreated is important, for applying a cumulative -1/-4/-5 it's important to note how many active defenses you did

9) for parries it's probably useful to have separate cards for leg parry, hands-free anti-grappling parry, left-hand, right-hand and 2-hand parries, plus extra options like grabbing parry, hand catch, aggressive parry, jam

10) plus for dodging, an acrobatic dodge card and a sacrificial dodge card

Rainbow-wise it seems like Purple is free, and we could probably also use Brown, if we needed to establish a new category.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #4
lugaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Do you mean the pdf or the physical cards?
Physical cards, ideally.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:48 AM   #5
Taneli

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
Physical cards, ideally.
Those are two different products. And not just by the extension of one being some changed bits on a hard drive, and the other being some cardboard with drops of paint on it.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:58 AM   #6
lugaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Those are two different products. And not just by the extension of one being some changed bits on a hard drive, and the other being some cardboard with drops of paint on it.
I have been trying to puzzle this reply out, and I think we may be talking past each other, because none of this makes any sense to me in relation to the question I asked.

I asked at the beginning if there were any plans to expand the (physical, though I didn't say so at first; it seemed obvious to me given which was the more recent publication and my mention of a possible "booster pack" format for publishing such an expansion, but clearly it was not obvious to everyone) Combat Cards to include Maneuvers that are not in the Basic Set. Examples include, but I don't think are limited to: All Out Attack - Long, Committed Attack, or Defensive Attack.

If they'd wanted to expand the PDF of Combat Cards, they would have probably done so when publishing the physical cards.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:53 PM   #7
DangerousThing

Perhaps a slightly different thought.

How about a blank set of cards of different colors so that we could create the ones we want?
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat cards