Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2021, 03:36 PM   #1
Adina

Default Magic Aptitude tweaks

I am currently working on a fantasy setting. I am using spell-based* magic somewhat reorganized. The colleges are grouped into nine elements that are in turn organized into three spheres.

Magic Aptitude is usually limited to one sphere, with a rare few having universal Magic Aptitude.

So, a couple of questions:

Accessibility to one third the colleges would be a 10% limitation. What would be a countervailing enhancement? Solitary ceremonial casting perhaps, any others?

How to price access to all three spheres? I want it to be all or one, two out of three not being an option.

One option is to have to buy Magery 0 (only, higher levels only have to be purchased once) separately for all three spheres. I see two problems with this. I don’t like limiting Magery 0 given what little it does. And I want universal mages to be rare, 10 points may be too cheap for PC’s.

Another option is to charge an UB, maybe 15 – 25? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, J.

*Yes there are other options but I’m not great at on the fly improv, and I’m tired of the ‘discussions’ with some players. I’ll probably adapt energy accumulating though.
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, magic