Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #41
Rick_Smith

Default D&D Mega-dungeons adapted to TFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I never played in Barrowmaze but it was well spoken of.
I adapted the huge dungeon / adventure, "Axe of the Dwarves Lord's" to TFT. It turned into a complete campaign. It was fun, especially after the players took the central citadel, (with its traps, masses of arrow slits and murder holes), which gave the PC's a quick route to each of the major areas.

It was so large, that my players expressed a relief that it was finally done. (I never told them that there was a subbasement level that they never found.)

;-D

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #42
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Clockwork room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Neat idea! What if the character is a Master Mechanician?
Hi Zot,
Like the other talents, if you have the higher level of the talent you roll one less die.

Warm regards, Rick.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #43
Rick_Smith

Default Play test of Goblin River room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
OK. Here's an example I thought up but haven't had a chance to playtest. It was designed to give my puny Goblin archers a bit more bite. Any comments appreciated.

The Goblin River ...
Hi Chris, everyone.
Last weekend I demoed TFT at the Trumpeters War-game night and we tried this room. The party had a fair bowman and he slaughtered the goblins. The other guys moved across the river very slowly and carefully. (One fell, but I moved him 3 hexes towards the waterfall rather than instant death.)

The room would be tricky with no bowman, but with a bowman it was super easy.

Warm regards, Rick.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #44
Chris Rice

Default Re: Play test of Goblin River room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Chris, everyone.
Last weekend I demoed TFT at the Trumpeters War-game night and we tried this room. The party had a fair bowman and he slaughtered the goblins. The other guys moved across the river very slowly and carefully. (One fell, but I moved him 3 hexes towards the waterfall rather than instant death.)

The room would be tricky with no bowman, but with a bowman it was super easy.

Warm regards, Rick.
Hi Rick, thanks for giving it a go. I guess no room is ever going to be the same challenge for every party as there are too many variables. I didn't want to make the Goblins too dangerous although their 1d-1 bows may be a bit weak.

Regards. Chris
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:47 AM   #45
CardDiceian

Default Re: Modular Death Test

I'll have to read through the whole thread and add a room idea into the mix soon - (Too much going on at the moment just now though.)
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #46
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Play test of Goblin River room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Hi Rick, thanks for giving it a go. I guess no room is ever going to be the same challenge for every party as there are too many variables. I didn't want to make the Goblins too dangerous although their 1d-1 bows may be a bit weak.

Regards. Chris
Hi Chris,
The goblins are sub 32 attribute figures so out numbering the PC's would be fair. Having at least one goblin with a heavier bow would be important.

Perhaps say, "If the party has no bowmen, the goblins are armed as described. If they have 1 or more bowmen, each goblin has a heavy crossbow which was loaded with a cranequin. They will shoot at the bowmen, drop the unloaded crossbows, and then fire their bows for the rest of the fight."

This will make the room a bit more nerve wracking for parties with bowmen. If that is too much, consider giving them light crossbows.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-14-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 AM   #47
Rick_Smith

Default Pictures from Trumpeter's War-game Night.

Hi all,
I demoed TFT for the Kickstarter a couple weeks ago. During it I ran several of the fights that were posted here. (On my Wizard map, since Melee has worn out.)

The link will take you to a web site which has 4 pictures of the Wall and Thorn room and the 5 hex ogre in the Howdah room.

https://theslope.brainiac.com/pmwiki...Main.MiscPicts

Warm regards, Rick.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:18 AM   #48
Rick_Smith

Default Tested the room of Walls and Thorns.

The party entered the room. I suggested that they would prefer to fight in the area where the walls and thorn bushes made spears less useful. The players saw the wisdom of this, and charged forward.

The effectiveness of the tactic depended strongly on the initiative roll. If the spear men moved second they would move or shift in such a way that they were not troubled by the thorn bushes. If the players moved second, then they were able to sometimes get the spearmen at a disadvantage.

Daniel (who had never played TFT before), was rather charmed by the tactics. He had played several RPG's and he found the importance of maneuver to be much more interesting than in other games. Len, another player who had not played TFT, seemed to be enjoying himself but didn't comment on this room.

The battle was more spread out on the wizard map than on the Melee map. I would playtest this more if it was to be published, and get the right amount of walls and brush. (The map I played on had too much open ground.)

The players were a bit lucky and they managed to defeat the spearmen without loss.

After each successful battle I gave them an attribute. This battle took place early in the evening, when they were not at Thorsz quality yet. So I didn't add in the Spear man leader to the fight.

Over all, a fun room if I do say so myself.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-17-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:46 AM   #49
Rick_Smith

Default Tested the Howdah room.

This room was the last battle of the night. When I pulled out the 5 hex Ogre counter, Daniel said, "This is the last fight - the boss fight."

I had taught him the rules to Wizard, and he had written up an IQ 10 wizard with the attributes spilt fairly evenly between ST, DX and IQ.

The team moved in. Since it was on the Wizard Map, I had two big pits rather than just one. (See the photograph from a couple post above.)

The party was dismayed by the 8 points of armor thru the Ogre's front hexes. They fired a long bow into the Ogre's side over a few turns and did a couple points of damage.

The party ended up running around avoiding the Ogre and taking pot shots. The Hobbit in the Howdah saved his fatigue ST.

Then the Ogre ran and caught a swordsman and Wizard at an end of the pit. The wizard noticed that the Ogre was overlapping the pit and asked if a Magic Fist might knock it into the pit. I said if it might if it did a lot of damage. The wizard tried, spending 3 fST, and rolled a spectacular 6, 4, 5 for 9 points of damage before armor. (Only 1 point got thru, but Magic Fist knock back is based on damage BEFORE armor.) The Ogre was treated as if he had a Trip spell on him, failed his DX saving roll, and toppled into the pit. This badly damaged the Howdah.

Everyone was hooting and hollering at this point.

The next turn the wizard cast a fire spell on the hobbit. The ogre un-wedged himself. The Hobbit cast a spell, but failed (-2 DX for being in a fire, -3 DX for permanent negatives).

The next turn the wizard cast another fire, killing the Hobbit in the Howdah.

The Ogre climbed out of the pit, and ended up taking enough damage that he surrendered.

The players had a tonne of fun in this fight.

I'm going to edit my room description and say that the Hobbit takes falling damage if the Ogre falls for any reason.

Daniel said that he had really enjoyed the battles. Len, said that he was glad he had passed on Wings of War in order to try out TFT.

Very happy how the evening went.

Warm regards, Rick.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #50
Chris Rice

Default Re: Modular Death Test

That sounds like a hoot! Hobbit in a Howdah :)
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote