Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #1
Kymage

Default Question about Infinite Worlds and Quantum level

I have in the back of my mind that there is a rule somewhere that the more 'exotic' Timelines (such as magic based, supers running around and off the wall stuff) seems to be in the lower levels, Quantum, 3 and lower, of the various Quantum levels.

Is that correct or did I misremember something else?
Kymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
ravenfish

Default Re: Question about Infinite Worlds and Quantum level

It might just be a practical point of design that, when a world is already complicated enough with Centrum being involved, putting said world on a low quantum means the author needn't worry about them.

Last edited by ravenfish; 02-21-2021 at 02:16 PM. Reason: correct pluralization
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymage View Post
I have in the back of my mind that there is a rule somewhere that the more 'exotic' Timelines (such as magic based, supers running around and off the wall stuff) seems to be in the lower levels, Quantum, 3 and lower, of the various Quantum levels.

Is that correct or did I misremember something else?
The GURPSwiki has the canonal Worlds of Infinite Worlds. Roma Arcana, Krypton-1, Azoth-4, and Azoth-5 are accessible to Centrum. Bases on the author latter comment Krypton-1 appears to be in Q3 due to bungling by Interworld as it was originally in Q7.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I've seen a similar comment, that "magic leans towards the lower Quanta".

This is true if you zero in on the words "Magic", and "Lean". There is a skew, but it only effects magic, and magical worlds are present up into Q7, though of the worlds mentioned by maximara, only Roma Arcanus really uses magic, with the others using superscience or alchemy (which has some strict rules, is more prone to engineering, and is something of a half-way point between magic and super-science). Its also worth noting that Q4 has if anything more magical worlds than Q3, hosting Wyvern, A copy of frank baum's Oz, the engstrom skerry, Taft-2, the madlands, Yrth, and more.

While Q7 is light on magic, it seems to be heavy on alternate technology paths, including Gernsback, Steel, Three Gotha Zombie worlds, and the Azoth worlds mentioned.

So you can adjust magical worlds towards lower Quanta, but don't start at Q3, don't treat it as an absolute statement, and only apply it to magic. I certainly, do, fading the lower quantum levels into fantasy settings.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
There is a skew, but it only effects magic, and magical worlds are present up into Q7, though of the worlds mentioned by maximara, only Roma Arcanus really uses magic, with the others using superscience or alchemy (which has some strict rules, is more prone to engineering, and is something of a half-way point between magic and super-science).
Krypton-1 includes what amounts to magic abilities (the Villian Necron in the Classic: Supers books case in point) as powers and could have "regular" mages as well.

QUOTE=ericthered;2368424]While Q7 is light on magic, it seems to be heavy on alternate technology paths, including Gernsback, Steel, Three Gotha Zombie worlds, and the Azoth worlds mentioned.[/QUOTE]

There are enough no quantum given worlds to mess up those assumptions. Becaises I think Infinity would rather have Centrum then Reich-5 mucking around in magical worlds like Merlin 1. Never mind the Q4 nightmare that is the Nine Worlds.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Krypton-1 includes what amounts to magic abilities (the Villian Necron in the Classic: Supers books case in point) as powers and could have "regular" mages as well.

Super hero magic works a bit differently than generic magic, but you can get magic as powers builds on supers worlds. Krypton-1 is now on Quantum-3 in any case, so you can count it, but it gets two asterisks next to it.

Quote:
Becaises I think Infinity would rather have Centrum then Reich-5 mucking around in magical worlds like Merlin 1. Never mind the Q4 nightmare that is the Nine Worlds.
What does infinity's preferences have to do with the layout of the quanta? worlds are where they are, and infinity lacks the scraps of knowledge that Centrum clumsily uses to try and move them.

Quote:
There are enough no quantum given worlds to mess up those assumptions.
by which you mean worlds with unspecified quantums. You could intentionally use them to spread magic more evenly through the quanta, but I'm not sure that it would make much sense. Some of the cabal worlds make me wonder if a conveyor could get there at all, and the Yrth worlds you'd think would naturally end up next to it on Q4.

Then look at the difference between ISWAT and Centrum Unattatched Agents. Unattatched agents don't use magic, and they don't seem to plan on dealing with it much either, which is a stark contrast with ISWAT.

If you want to keep the pattern of worlds so far, you should slant magic worlds towards the low end of the quantum.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 02-22-2021 at 10:05 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #7
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Super hero magic works a bit differently than generic magic, but you can get magic as powers builds on supers worlds. Krypton-1 is now on Quantum-3 in any case, so you can count it, but it gets two asterisks next to it.
Based on the author's expansion there is this:

"Krypton-1 is troubling even though it was not an echo of Homeline it was Centrum's first attempt to move a timeline to a closer Quantum....and it succeeded in Centrum year 2005 (local 1981). Centrum then tried to shift the reality back to Quantum 6 and use it as a base in its battle with Infinity."

This is where things when totally pear shaped for Centrum.

Given its highly mythical nature Sherlock-2 may have magic - if Dr. Jekyll and Abraham van Helsing are real there why not Victorian Fairies? Based on Dracula, the count is due to arrive in London by 1890 and vampire are regarded as supernatural ie "magical".
Old 02-22-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
TGLS

Quote:
Its also worth noting that Q4 has if anything more magical worlds than Q3, hosting ... Yrth
Not to take away from your greater point, Yrth is on Q5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
There are enough no quantum given worlds to mess up those assumptions.
Sure, but just because there's no quantum given doesn't mean they're on a quantum that proves your argument. They could be in line with other fantasy worlds, or possibly only accessible by more exotic methods (Gates of Thoth, Planar Shift spells, etc.)
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:13 PM   #9
arcanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
It might just be a practical point of design that, when a world is already complicated enough with Centrum being involved, putting said world on a low quantum means the author needn't worry about them.
Out of game yes undoutably to support Centrums Vulcan logic based technocracy v Homelines crazy federation.

Quote:
I've seen a similar comment, that "magic leans towards the lower Quanta".

You could intentionally use them to spread magic more evenly through the quanta, but I'm not sure that it would make much sense. Some of the cabal worlds make me wonder if a conveyor could get there at all, and the Yrth worlds you'd think would naturally end up next to it on Q4.

Then look at the difference between ISWAT and Centrum Unattatched Agents. Unattatched agents don't use magic, and they don't seem to plan on dealing with it much either, which is a stark contrast with ISWAT.

If you want to keep the pattern of worlds so far, you should slant magic worlds towards the low end of the quantum.
It might be that there is a quantum flow of OZ particles and higher mana levels down quanta (5 downwards) normal to High mana are down stream whilst low to no mana are upstream (6 upwards).

Magic is is generally gurps standard down stream (Yrth, Merlin) whilst more slower energy gathering magic upstream, examples could be the (homebrew) Craft and Grimoire Worldlines (Q6 & 7).

http://http://forums.sjgames.com/sho...ine#post557872 Craft Worldlines

http://http://forums.sjgames.com/sho...oire+worldline Grimoire Worldlines

Centrum being even more dismissive than Homeline around Magic avoids the few High magic lines upstream whilst missing the subtler secret magic ones.

Cabal Home Worldlines could either be completely non-quanta, only accessible from the Astral Plane or in Quantum 11 upwards.
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:18 PM   #10
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanus View Post
It might be that there is a quantum flow of OZ particles and higher mana levels down quanta (5 downwards) normal to High mana are down stream whilst low to no mana are upstream (6 upwards).
The big problem is little to no magic doesn't mean little to no mana ie OZ particles). There are a lot of worlds where we just don't know the mana levels. Sherlock-2 case in point