Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
platimus

Default TFT Beastiary Suggestion

Moving from here:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=78

I don't know if SJG plans on publishing a TFT Beastiary but if they do, I would suggest listing the monsters by attribute-point totals. A table of contents or index can provide alphabetical lookups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I second that motion, although I have to wonder if stat totals alone are sufficient to defining a creature's 'challenge quotient'. I don't want to over-complicate this, but many creatures have special abilities that should somehow be factored into their difficulty rating, shouldn't they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Just add up the attribute point totals listed for the critter's advantages and disadvantages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
(Fortunately, TFT doesn't really reduce to a "challenge quotient", or it'd be much less interesting.)

In the detailed combat experience rules a TFT friend and I designed back circa 1985, for fighters we ended up with ST + adjDX + armor + other offsets, such as off-ST-scale damage. Various abilities, combat spells, unusual MA, flying, etc are kinds of apples & oranges cases.

However, while that system seemed vastly better than just adding ST + DX, it's clear that it's not nearly enough to estimate even just combat threat value accurately - relative armor to damage is a massive factor, especially when someone has more armor than a foe is likely to do damage. Look at the damage amount they do and compare it to the armor of what they're fighting, and vice versa. Compare adjDX. Compare number of attacks. Notice MA, hex size, ST and other features. Still, the relative numbers and situation in a combat tend to be more important than one-on-one stat comparisons. Also, how deadly you consider a monster also has to do with how much of a defeat it is to lose one or more of your comrades defeating it.

Rather than trying to come up with a number, perhaps type categories would be more appropriate. Some monsters are sort of like fighting a human, or close enough. Others have peculiar abilities to sort out. Others are large beasts of varying challenge. Others are especially deadly mainly only if they get you in HTH. Others are deadly for unarmored people but have a hard time hurting people with enough armor. Many/most can be challenging one-on-one but will be wiped out by a coordinated group in a situation where they can all attack it at once.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
platimus

Default Re: TFT Beastiary Suggestion

Obviously, stat totals alone aren't enough to form a perfect "challenge quotient" but it's a good starting point.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
platimus

It seems like each talent/spell/special attack/ability known could be added to a(n) (N)PCs stat totals to get a little closer to a simple but true-ish appraisal/comparison also...but for logistical sanity, listing by stat totals will suffice.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
TippetsTX

I'd even be OK if everything was put into big 'buckets' like High/Medium/Low Challenge, but at some point GMs will want to know how to quantify their own creations and for that we'll need guidelines on how to weigh certain abilities against each other.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I'd even be OK if everything was put into big 'buckets' like High/Medium/Low Challenge,
I would rather they were listed by stat totals but they could be grouped by "20-30", "30-32", "33-35", etc.

Quote:
but at some point GMs will want to know how to quantify their own creations and for that we'll need guidelines on how to weigh certain abilities against each other.
That would seem to come from experience - playing and GMing. It also depends on how intelligently the PCs and NPCs are played. I'm not sure any guidelines can be given beyond what I've already described. Some things will be obvious. Some things take time.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
larsdangly

I wouldn't really like this organizing principle; I'd greatly prefer something more conventional, like a grouping by broad type (plants, wild animals, spirits, etc.), or just alphabetical.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote