Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 09-22-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
banditangel

Default Calabite of Lust Qs

If an attack does mind hits or soul hits, does it generate disturbance? I'm thinking specifically the Calabite of Lust attunement that lets them hit celestials for soul damage even when they're in a vessel.

Also, if they take the -4 penalty to deal subtle damage, does this mean the victim is unaware of their lost soul hits? o.o

Last, is there any way to force someone to go celestial, so you can get that last hit in and carve off a force? Is there a way to actually finish off a human's last soul hit and make them lose a force?

Much appreciated ^.^
banditangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Calabite of Lust Qs

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditangel View Post
If an attack does mind hits or soul hits, does it generate disturbance? I'm thinking specifically the Calabite of Lust attunement that lets them hit celestials for soul damage even when they're in a vessel.
So far as canon is concerned, sort of. Mind Hits cause such a minute amount of disturbance that only the Grigori can hear it ... it's too quiet for other beings to notice. I don't know of any being who can hear Soul Hits, though I'm sure the person being damaged could feel the pain.

Quote:
Last, is there any way to force someone to go celestial, so you can get that last hit in and carve off a force?
Very, very difficult. The Corporeal Song of Banishing (in Liber Canticorum) will force an ethereal or celestial out of a vessel, but only a few Superiors teach that Song. Lacking that ability, the best results, in my opinion, come from a combination of psychological pressure, fear, and the Will-nerfing Celestial Song of Charm so that someone can be persuaded to abandon their vessel.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Acolyte

Also: most things that cause Mind hits (like the Ethereal Song of Entropy or Numinous Corpus: Tongues at a high level) on the Corporeal plane have their own disturbance associated with them. Same for Soul hits...but I'd say the Calabim of Lust can do that damage silently, though I'd also say the victim should notice, even if the resonance is done silently. Since they have to touch their victims to do this, I'd say that with the -4 penalty, the victim wouldn't connect the touch to the anguish of Soul damage.

And you don't want to go overboard with the Song of Charm if that's your tactic, since they still need a Will roll to go celestial in the first place.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post

And you don't want to go overboard with the Song of Charm if that's your tactic, since they still need a Will roll to go celestial in the first place.
Very true. That requires a rather delicate touch ....

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Very, very difficult. The Corporeal Song of Banishing (in Liber Canticorum) will force an ethereal or celestial out of a vessel, but only a few Superiors teach that Song.
Yes, but Banishing would be a fairly common spell among sorcerors*. That won't help too much, as they need to spend Essence to use it IIRC and thus create disturbance.

*at least those who deal knowingly with demons and ethereals--it would be basic self-defense.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Yes, but Banishing would be a fairly common spell among sorcerors*. That won't help too much, as they need to spend Essence to use it IIRC and thus create disturbance.

*at least those who deal knowingly with demons and ethereals--it would be basic self-defense.
That doesn't help much if the Celestial coming after you is an Angel, of course...
but at least you'll know that that's what you're dealing with, right?
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
banditangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
You could always teach your sorcerer servant how to do Shields (Celestial), and make sure you're someplace else when the song wears off...

Thank you muchly for this suggestion.
banditangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calabim, lust