Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Is There a Way to Be Reverse-Summoned by an Ally?

I feel like I've seen it done somewhere, but all of my Google Fu is failing me. Is there a way to make it so a PC is reverse-summonable? Say the PC has an Ally or a Patron with Summonable, but the catch is that they can also be summoned and called on for a duty. Sure, I could hand-waive this under the Duty or something, but I wanted to find someone kind of modifier to Ally or even Duty that might solve this issue. Or do I just need some version of Jumper or Warp that is anchored to my Ally or Patron? But that doesn't make it so they can summon me. And what if I can't jump to them when I want, but they can always call on me?

Thanks. You guys are the best.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Is There a Way to Be Reverse-Summoned by an Ally?

The best RAW way is to buy Warp or Jumper with To/From Summoner only, -60%
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
zoncxs

Have the Ally have YOU as a summonable ally. Make both advantages take the Pact modifier. Problem solved. As for a Patron, That would be the same thing except their Ally version does not need the Pact modifier. Or just hand wave it for them.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
Gef

It's also RAW to reverse a standard modifier, and simpler than modified warp/jump. Summonable (can be summoned) and Summonable (can summon you) would be separate enhancements, though.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 PM   #5
Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
It's also RAW to reverse a standard modifier, and simpler than modified warp/jump. Summonable (can be summoned) and Summonable (can summon you) would be separate enhancements, though.
Oh... I was kinda building an Affliction before you said that. I'm a masochist. ):

That's the definite answer. Variant Traits, Powers, p.113.

You can probably reverse "Summonable" to "Can Summon You", if the GM allows.

I'll still stick here the horribly costly Affliction I was building, for history.

Affliction: Advantage, Warp(+1000%), Extra Carrying Capacity (Extra-Heavy, +50%),
Accessibility (Only you -60%),
Cosmic (No active defense allowed +100%),
No Signature (+25%),
Increased Range (x500.000, +170%(this is like 45.700 km (going around the Earth on the Equator is like 42.000 km),
Long-Range (From Size/Speed/Range to No Modifier) (+100%),
Homing (Detect (You), 55%),

This would cost around 200 points per level of the Affliction. Maybe would need more enhancements for World-Spanning or Time-Spanning, if applicable.

Last edited by Set; 09-20-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
talonthehand

I had given PC's a cursed bangle that did this to them - it was an in-game explanation for why, say, Lothar wasn't there when his player couldn't make it to game night. The local mob boss just needed him for a task for the session.

The campaign quickly became about how to get the cursed bangles off. Live and learn.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
PK

There are really four different possible situations here. (If more than one applies, then the notes are cumulative.) Note that I'm using "Earth" as shorthand for whatever your home plane is.
  1. An extradimensional Ally, or a Patron who'd be willing to use this ability to help you out, can summon you from Earth to its own dimension.

2. An extradimensional Patron can summon you from Earth to its own dimension, but will only ever use this ability for its own whim and needs.

3. An Ally, or a Patron who'd be willing to use this ability to help you out, can summon you from your location on Earth to its location on Earth.

4. A Patron can summon you from your location on Earth to its location on Earth, but will only ever use this ability for its own whim and needs.

In the case of #1 and #3, you definitely need to buy Jumper or Warp with a limitation reflecting that you can only travel to your Ally/Patron and that they have to be conscious and willing to trigger it. That's because this is potentially a very useful ability -- send your Ally to sneak behind enemy lines, and then Warp right to him by having him summon you.

In the case of #2 and #4, this can be a special effect. It's incredibly convenient for the Patron, but that's it. Usually, the assumption is that the PCs will be summoned, briefed, and then sent back. Now, if the Patron has the ability to Jump/Warp the group anywhere, that's the Special Abilities modifier.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

If your Ally has a general purpose ability or spell to summon things like you it can just use that and it doesn't cost anything extra.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The best RAW way is to buy Warp or Jumper with To/From Summoner only, -60%
Okay. Yes. I know I've seen this before, but where is that modifier from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Have the Ally have YOU as a summonable ally. Make both advantages take the Pact modifier. Problem solved. As for a Patron, That would be the same thing except their Ally version does not need the Pact modifier. Or just hand wave it for them.
Is it RAW that your Ally can also take you as an Ally? Because this is kind of along the lines that I was most recently thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
I also like this approach. Especially if I could conjoin this with an Ally taking the PC as an Ally and making the Ally pay for those points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
There are really four different possible situations here. (If more than one applies, then the notes are cumulative.) Note that I'm using "Earth" as shorthand for whatever your home plane is.
  1. An extradimensional Ally, or a Patron who'd be willing to use this ability to help you out, can summon you from Earth to its own dimension.

2. An extradimensional Patron can summon you from Earth to its own dimension, but will only ever use this ability for its own whim and needs.

3. An Ally, or a Patron who'd be willing to use this ability to help you out, can summon you from your location on Earth to its location on Earth.

4. A Patron can summon you from your location on Earth to its location on Earth, but will only ever use this ability for its own whim and needs.

In the case of #1 and #3, you definitely need to buy Jumper or Warp with a limitation reflecting that you can only travel to your Ally/Patron and that they have to be conscious and willing to trigger it. That's because this is potentially a very useful ability -- send your Ally to sneak behind enemy lines, and then Warp right to him by having him summon you.

In the case of #2 and #4, this can be a special effect. It's incredibly convenient for the Patron, but that's it. Usually, the assumption is that the PCs will be summoned, briefed, and then sent back. Now, if the Patron has the ability to Jump/Warp the group anywhere, that's the Special Abilities modifier.
As always, PK, you have been very helpful. This really is more of a case of #2, and I should've mentioned one other drawback of this sooner. This is more of a case of projection. Think of the PC as on Earth and the Ally/Patron as on the Astral Plane. So, the Ally/Patron summons the astral spirit of the PC, leaving the PC's body helpless, which is obviously a drawback. Of course, the Ally/Patron wouldn't want to endanger the PC, but the PC could be endangered if an Enemy took advantage of this knowledge, and it also means that the Ally/Patron can't use the summoning as a get-out-of-jail-free card for the PC.

All in all, I'm still a little undecided on which approach I will use, but this thread has been majorly helpful in showing me my options.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Okay. Yes. I know I've seen this before, but where is that modifier from?
DF 9: Summoners p. 25, the box "Regular Summonees"

Quote:

Is it RAW that your Ally can also take you as an Ally? Because this is kind of along the lines that I was most recently thinking.
Yes, though it is stated that NPCs do not need to pay for Allies so it would just be noted on their sheet.
If you wanted an Ally to give you powers buy them for the PC with the Granted By Familiar limitation.

Quote:

As always, PK, you have been very helpful. This really is more of a case of #2, and I should've mentioned one other drawback of this sooner. This is more of a case of projection.
Add the Projection limitation (-50%) from GURPS Powers to the mix.
So you could have Jumper (Projection, -50%; To/from Summoner Only, -60%) for 20 points. Seems pricey at first but it depends how you use it. Compare it with Oracle if your Patron gives you visions or information and its a good deal. Make it an Alternative Ability (and I just added that to my Shaman Powers list) at 4 points and it is a very good use of points.

I did not think of Special Powers for the Patron because I tend to try and stat everything but PK's suggestion of it just being a case of the Special Powers modifier is a good one. Clean and simple.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ally, duty, jumper, patron, summonable