Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #21
Plane

Default Re: Using hoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Why would you treat a split pool DR as two seperate DRs?
I think maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by a split pool DR, is there an example of this somewhere?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I think maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by a split pool DR, is there an example of this somewhere?
My post should have read "Why would you treat a split DR as two seperate DR pools?"
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #23
Anaraxes

"Split DR" just means that the armor has different DR values based on the type of the attack. See B282. It's usually written as two numbers, e.g. "4/2", with a note telling you what the difference is. For instance, the Basic Set mail shirt or hauberk is listed as "4/2* [3]", where Note 3 says "Split DR: use the lower DR against crushing attacks." Or the TL 7 frag vest, at "5/2* [1]", where Note 1 on this (different) table reads "Split DR: use the first, higher DR against piercing and cutting attacks; use the second, lower DR against all other damage types.".

(The * means the armor is flexible, which matters to some other rules.)

It would be awkward to have a fixed order for attack types and expect armor to list all the possibilities, e.g. DR 4/4/3/1/2/2/4/... crush/cut/impale/pierce/fire/cold/corrosion/... So the notes for particular kinds of gear generally have to make do.

DR doesn't come in "pools", so I'm not sure what you're trying to say there. You don't allocate DR to different attacks or damage types as it comes in.

If you're tracking armor damage, then once the armor is destroyed, it doesn't provide any of its DR to any sort of attack. You don't destroy armor one pool at a time.

If you're sufficiently into detail and bookkeeping, I suppose you could define armor as taking different amounts of damage from absorption of different attack types. I can even imagine some sort of ablative armor that gets (say) burned off by laser beams, but in the meantime provides protection against melee attacks thanks to its bulk, so it's anti-melee DR continually declines with each laser hit, but anti-laser DR remains constant until the armor is destroyed by melee hits or burned off by laser hits. At that point, we're headed off into houserule territory, though. I suspect a minority of players track damage to armor at all.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #24
Plane

I can see B284 explains the * and [3] and on that page is an example of the Mail Coif. If your DR is 2 against crushing and 4 against everything else, you could probably stat that as DR 2 + DR 2 (Bane: Crushing Damage).

I have no idea how to deal with "Limited" for Headgear though because that protects the skull AND the face, and the roll to hit those changes from the rear.

Since "all but skull" is worth -5% (the same as Bane: Occasional) and Limited: Occasional is -60%, that seems like a fair compromise between the -7 to hit from the front and -5 to hit from the rear. Though I remember "Thin Skull" valued it at a full -80%, I don't know if that was done keeping in mind the greater ease of hitting the skull from the rear from MA.

Last edited by Plane; 01-14-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote