Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2019, 09:46 PM   #11
DanHoward

Default Re: Using hoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
GURPS Low-Tech, pp. 111-112, discusses sensory effects of various sorts of head protection. I suggest taking a look and comparing hoods with what's given there.
Looks like we were remiss. There is a section on hoods (p.99) but it doesn't mention sensory effects. IMO 'No Peripheral Vision' should do it.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #12
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton View Post
just say the hood is destroyed when it runs out of either dr, its not exactly the most durable garment
I guess you could do that by pricing 2 separate pools of DR as "only while using DR" and treat depleted DR like a crippled ability?

This could end up being more expensive than 1 pool of non-limited DR though, which doesn't incentivize buying it this way.

Maybe it could work like either-or limitation: Ablative / Achilles Heel: Crushing
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
They might give a -1 to people trying to identify you.
Substantially better than that if we're talking about the one in the illustration. They're also pretty good for reducing the penalties for fighting in heavy rain.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #14
newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I guess you could do that by pricing 2 separate pools of DR as "only while using DR" and treat depleted DR like a crippled ability?

This could end up being more expensive than 1 pool of non-limited DR though, which doesn't incentivize buying it this way.

Maybe it could work like either-or limitation: Ablative / Achilles Heel: Crushing
hoods are equipment, they don’t have a cp cost unless they are like a gadget which means they are like a special magic hood or something
newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #15
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
On the other hand, in a realistic setting, hoods would affect peripheral vision to a considerable degree.
From riding my bike around with a hoodie up, I'd say it gives you Tunnel Vision. If you turn your head quickly, you just see the inside of the hood. (Thus I have to wear a cap under it to avoid going under a truck.)
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #16
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Looks like we were remiss. There is a section on hoods (p.99) but it doesn't mention sensory effects. IMO 'No Peripheral Vision' should do it.
The section on hoods doesn't, but some of the helm designs do. I was suggesting that they could be transferred over. I think that No Peripheral Vision makes sense, Tunnel Vision doesn't, and Hard of Hearing is borderline. If there were a disadvantage that gave -1 to hearing it might be appropriate, depending on the thickness of the material.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #17
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton View Post
hoods are equipment, they don’t have a cp cost unless they are like a gadget which means they are like a special magic hood or something
What I meant by "if you model", trying to design a less magical hood.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
If you had 2 pools of DR, the other would keep protecting just fine even after the other was wiped out, that seems odd.
Why would you treat a split pool DR as two seperate DRs?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #19
Black Leviathan

I've fought with a hood before. I had a camouflage mantle made from an old wool army blanket. I didn't notice any eclipse of peripheral vision more than my helmet. There were maybe one or two occasions where I'd turn my head and the hood wouldn't flex to accommodate me but that was more a case of my helmet catching on the fabric than a problem with the hood. At best maybe a small PER penalty would be appropriate but I really lost a lot of hearing range. I could barely hear a conversation unless I was directly facing it. I had to constantly ask people right next to me to repeat themselves if they were speaking softly.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #20
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
At best maybe a small PER penalty would be appropriate but I really lost a lot of hearing range. I could barely hear a conversation unless I was directly facing it. I had to constantly ask people right next to me to repeat themselves if they were speaking softly.
On the other hand, a hood just for appearances (concealment, intimidation) could be made of much lighter cloth.