Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #141
Refplace

Default Re: GURB- The Generic Unoriginal Roleplaying Blog

I like these. The Belt armor option is a really good idea and the Structural one is as well. I would suggest adding verbiage on how that section can count as Sealed even if the rest of the ship is breached.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #142
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I like these. The Belt armor option is a really good idea and the Structural one is as well. I would suggest adding verbiage on how that section can count as Sealed even if the rest of the ship is breached.
I like these as well.

My main problem, however, is that I tend to give my ships a lot more armament, that I run out of hull sections. :(

An chance you can write these (and several of your other blog posts) up and submit them as a single Pyramid article? I've love to see them made official.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #143
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Doh! How did I miss that?!

Good suggestion man, I'll add that in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I like these as well.

My main problem, however, is that I tend to give my ships a lot more armament, that I run out of hull sections. :(

An chance you can write these (and several of your other blog posts) up and submit them as a single Pyramid article? I've love to see them made official.
Yeah, there's always going to be a trade off. You can either do the belts as an half or a small system. Another thing to keep in mind that most real warships use what Spaceships would call a medium battery or smaller so maybe scale back the fire power a bit heh.

As for a Pyramid article, I got few ideas in the works but time right now is a limiting factor (we have a worker shortage at my job and I"m being use to plug all the holes. In fact I just got called to go in early heh). As for making them based on my blog posts I'm going to have to look into if I can do that.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #144
The_Ryujin

Need a spaceship but just can't find the size you want? Then head on down to your local certified GURB dealership, we got a spaceship for any size and any occasion!

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
Old 03-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #145
Humabout

Isn't "Structural Reinforcement" the same system that Eric B Smith created for his Spaceships Spreadsheet and also at the top of page for of this document from his website? I didn't see you give him any credit in your blog for his work, which he did back in 2009.

Rory's band armor looks spiffy, though. It makes the system slightly less ham-fisted, in my opinion, which is usually my biggest complaint. Survivability is easily tweaked through a combination of IT:DR as suggested in Spaceships 3, more armor, Hardened armor, and weapon choice. The biggest headache I ever encounter is choosing the rules and campaign switches needed to emulate specific genres, but that requires a more holistic approach than just adding HP or thicker armor, usually. Eric's and your/Rory's systems do help a bit, though! Thanks!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #146
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Isn't "Structural Reinforcement" the same system that Eric B Smith created for his Spaceships Spreadsheet and also at the top of page for of this document from his website? I didn't see you give him any credit in your blog for his work, which he did back in 2009.

Rory's band armor looks spiffy, though. It makes the system slightly less ham-fisted, in my opinion, which is usually my biggest complaint. Survivability is easily tweaked through a combination of IT:DR as suggested in Spaceships 3, more armor, Hardened armor, and weapon choice. The biggest headache I ever encounter is choosing the rules and campaign switches needed to emulate specific genres, but that requires a more holistic approach than just adding HP or thicker armor, usually. Eric's and your/Rory's systems do help a bit, though! Thanks!
I didn't credit him since I came up with my system independently and had no idea till now that he did something similar heh. Although his and mine assumptions are different (for example he seems to give a flat ×2HP per system were I followed the heavy structure option progression from Vehicles 3rd ed and modified their assumptions to fit the cube root HP assumption of 4th ed). But this isn't so surprising since this is something that real ship builders do so I would be surprised if there are a couple more Structural Reinforcement ideas floating around somewhere.

Rory also did a belt armor system? I know he posted he liked mine but I didn't know he did one himself.

As for giving ships IT:DR, I'm a bit unsure about use it as I find it hard to come up with justification for it. I generally use extended Injure to Unliving, Homogenous, and Diffuse Objects table from Pyramid 3/34 Alternate GURPS (which I believe David has said somewhere on the forum will be used in the VDS manuscript).

But anywho, thanks for the input. Glad you like the options. Hope you like today's post as well as it really goes into the Spaceship system.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #147
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post

Umm thanks but your giving me credit I don't deserve.
I have commented on various threads and made some suggestions but I don't recall anything I did on belt armor before this thread. And my Sealed suggestion was barely anything not worth a credit.
I have suggested a version of IT:DR to increase survivability and a few other IT variations for ships bought with points.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #148
Kalzazz

I'm now curious whether a SM 0 Death Star could fit in a normal party and be effective, piloted by space hamsters
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #149
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I'm now curious whether a SM 0 Death Star could fit in a normal party and be effective, piloted by space hamsters
You keep your miniature giant space hamsters away from my eyes, Kalzazz. ;)

That said, I really don't want to think about a hamster ball with a spinal-mounted total conversion beam weapon.... o/` :)

All in all, I like it, Ryujin. I feel like the formatting needs to be cleaned up a little, though, particularly the area where you're dealing with the intermediate sizes. (And yes, that's an area where I've been calling for some support for a while.) I've give it a whirl to come up with a 50- or 75-ton attack fighter or fighter-bomber at some point this weekend.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #150
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Umm thanks but your giving me credit I don't deserve.
I have commented on various threads and made some suggestions but I don't recall anything I did on belt armor before this thread. And my Sealed suggestion was barely anything not worth a credit.
I have suggested a version of IT:DR to increase survivability and a few other IT variations for ships bought with points.
Ah, ok. I thought he meant you came up with your own take on the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Well, if we are being serious (and let's face it, how can one not be super serious when talking about hamster powered weapons of mass speculation) you'd still need around about a 2.6 mile Deathstar for your furry crew to in habitat if you want to be true to scale :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
You keep your miniature giant space hamsters away from my eyes, Kalzazz. ;)

That said, I really don't want to think about a hamster ball with a spinal-mounted total conversion beam weapon.... o/` :)

All in all, I like it, Ryujin. I feel like the formatting needs to be cleaned up a little, though, particularly the area where you're dealing with the intermediate sizes. (And yes, that's an area where I've been calling for some support for a while.) I've give it a whirl to come up with a 50- or 75-ton attack fighter or fighter-bomber at some point this weekend.
Yeah, blogger was fighting me tooth and nail on this post for some reason. I spent hours going into the HTML trying to fix things by hand and that was the best I could do before I want "Frak it!". Assuming I'm not murdered by my job when I get home later tonight I'll take another crack at fixing it up.

But yeah, let me know how your fighter bombers work out. Let me know if you run into any bugs.

Ah crap, breaks already over... only got to survive another two and a half hours... >.>

Tags
blog, blogs, gurps day