Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Cone questions (especially with LOS)

I stumbled across LOS when trying to figure the correct ranges for my character's attack and saw it fit perfectly. However, the attacks also have Cone on them. Where is the 'end' of the cone places for where it spreads out? Wherever I look? Spread from the 100 range it initially starts at?

In another campaign, I was trying to figure out how to make 'huge beams' and notice that Cone 1 does this great for 3 foot wide beams. For (say) 9 feet, would Cone 5 be okay? Namely, is it okay to put the 'wider' parts of the cone at either end? Mathematically I'm hitting the same amount of area (if I'm ignoring actual hexes). Could I also have the cone start wide and thin at the end?

Thank you ahead of time.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
Captain Joy

Default Re: Cone questions (especially with LOS)

I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking. A quote from the Cone Attacks section of Basic Set is below. If what you’re trying to do isn’t consistent with what is below, then you are in house rule territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B413
A cone is one yard wide at its origin, but increases in width at a “rate of spread” equal to its specified maximum width divided by its maximum range.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Cone questions (especially with LOS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking. A quote from the Cone Attacks section of Basic Set is below. If what you’re trying to do isn’t consistent with what is below, then you are in house rule territory.
Increased Range: LOS is in Psionic Powers and PowerUps 4. It changes the ranges of something to 'line of sight'. I'm not sure how that interacts with Cones wider than 1 since the end is 'as far as I can see', which makes for a very different shape when (say) inside a small room.

As for changing the 'shape' of a cone, a cone with a max width of 5 at one end and '1' at the other covers the same amount of area as 3 on both ends, which makes it sound fair to add the cone yards to either the beginning or end (however, it is slightly better due to 1/2 range, so I'd likely buy 1/2 range to Max to make it fair). I was wondering what others thought.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote