Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Decks of Destiny Labyrinths Journal

I haven't seen a detailed explanation for the uses of the Labyrinths Journal so I'm tempted to do a video of my own notes (if somebody else has done this then I will gladly just link to them.)

The first mode of use I can see is to keep track of a dungeon that is randomly generated during the session. The Labyrinth Cards are drawn randomly and these are consulted for how to setup the current room. Random features are generated and noted. At this point flip to the page in the Labyrinths Journal that matches the card number and note on the edges the card numbers that this card connects to and inside the hex use capital letters A, B, C, etc to note the location of features that are described in the text area below the card image on that page. I.e. card #34, feature E is a hidden door and so the players don't know that card #45 is on the other side of this, yet.

The revealed Labyrinth Cards remain connected to each other at the side of the table for the players to consult as their "map". And as they move back to previous cards the GM consults the Labyrinths Journal for the detailed setup of megahexes and features and/or creatures.

The second mode I see is to randomly (with some selection) setup an entire dungeon up front and note in the journal the geometry and features. The Labyrinth Cards are placed in the noted alignment as the players explore the dungeon, with the Journal consulted for hidden and obvious features.

A third mode would be for the players to keep their own Labyrinths Journal with their own notes as to what they found.

Is there some other obvious use I've overlooked and ought to mention?
Old 02-18-2020, 08:56 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Decks of Destiny Labyrinths Journal

I like your suggestions, and would add that they can also serve as an efficient way to design and record a labyrinth that is not random but makes use of the hex cards (i.e., choose for yourself how they are laid out and stocked, as opposed to doing those thing randomly).

The important point is that we will want to have a bunch of these things, as each journal will serve as a permanent record of the geometry and stocking of that particular labyrinth. The same cards (and treasures and monsters and so forth) might appear in different combinations in another labyrinth, but you will want a separate journal for it.

I'm unsure about the notion of players using the journal to record their adventures. I think that format provides them too large of 'bites' of information on each page. My feeling is you'd do better to have the players follow a more traditional model of recording their path on a blank hex sheet.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:21 PM   #3
hcobb

So that makes the two modes Random and Deliberate. In either case you can pack everything away at the end of a session and start back up in exactly the same place next time by pulling out cards to match the journal.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #4
larsdangly

Yes; exactly. I was totally baffled by the idea of the journals when DoD was advertised, but now that I've got all the 'kit' from the last 2 years in one place, you can see that there is a system not found in any other table top roleplaying game: The labyrinth hexes are a 1:8 map of your MH tile lay-out; the cards are your detailed records of relatively standard things that appear; the journal is your permanent record of what goes where; and all of it is sufficiently modular that you quickly break it down for storage and be ready to go again in minutes.

The only part of the 'system' that is not fully developed is the set of cards containing things you run across in dungeons. I.e., traps, encounters, treasures, the full range of monsters and humanoid races, etc. We have enough examples of how such decks work that you can imagine what a comprehensive supply would look like, but I suspect it will take another 1-2 years of publications before all the pieces come together.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The only part of the 'system' that is not fully developed is the set of cards containing things you run across in dungeons.
Don't forget to check the drop tables; there is one in the Legacy Edition box and one in the Decks of Destiny box.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
larsdangly

Yes, those are a nice generic random generation system!
Old 02-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #7
hcobb

I'll try and use the cards to make a deliberate dungeon for Hex #5.

I've got some unusual geometry in mind so let's see if I can make it work.

Uploaded the video https://youtu.be/DA3HAJ1OAkA

And the dungeon seems to work okay directly from the cards.

Last edited by hcobb; 02-22-2020 at 04:01 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote