Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
FireHorse

Default 264-Hex Ogre

I was curious how big a Mark V would in The Fantasy Trip. Turns out you need an awfully big figure. Really, more like a map of its own. And a pretty big table.

264-Hex Ogre Mark V
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:44 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: 264-Hex Ogre

That's can't be right - it's only 22 hexes or 88 feet long.

Compare a 90-foot yacht to THIS

Hmm... I do see some new sources saying 90 feet, but that seems to be based on the new miniatures, not the concept.

The original OGRE book said they were up to 50 meters... oh... HA! They changed it! Probably so they could more practically make game pieces. In the new version of the rules it changed that line to say they only get up to 30 meters!

Pretty funny...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:31 AM   #3
FireHorse

To be honest, I didn't even look at the literature (from any edition). I was working purely from Winchell Chung's artwork. I put a hex grid over it and scaled the graphic to fit, using the given height of that human silhouette as a reference (1.72 meters = 1.41 TFT hexes). Then I added the overhead outlines from a 3D cardboard Mark V, and scaled them to match the length on the Chung chart. Presto.

I never even bothered to look at the alleged size of the Mark V, which he gives as 25.5 meters.

EDIT 1: Oh, wait. That's probably referring to the height. Never mind. Doesn't matter though, because the scaling is still correct, at least with reference to his graphic. So 22 hexes is the "correct" (Chung) length.

EDIT 2: Here it is with the Ogre's outlines included, and the hexes colored green for contrast. Note the 4 yellow hexes, which one might argue shouldn't count, since the Ogre fills less than half of them. I figure those are some of the most dangerous hexes on the entire planet, and reaching them when that Ogre is live must mean it trusts you. So I'm guessing the maintenance access ports are somewhere in that area. ;)

Last edited by FireHorse; 01-14-2020 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Added Overlay Graphic
Old 01-14-2020, 05:40 AM   #4
RobW

Beautiful!

I figure my best chance is HTH. Can you add the front, side, rear hexes? :)
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
To be honest, I didn't even look at the literature (from any edition). I was working purely from Winchell Chung's artwork. I put a hex grid over it and scaled the graphic to fit, using the given height of that human silhouette as a reference (1.72 meters = 1.41 TFT hexes). Then I added the overhead outlines from a 3D cardboard Mark V, and scaled them to match the length on the Chung chart. Presto.
Yeah, you did it right, and great job!

I was just surprised and amused to see that OGREs had shrunk so much between the original edition and whatever edition changed it (I assume the Kickstarter one with miniatures). The original art with the Mk V smashing the Heavy Tank like a speed bump while filling the horizon is my main reference for scale, and would look a lot different at this size.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
I figure my best chance is HTH. Can you add the front, side, rear hexes? :)
I suspect that an Ogre doesn't really have anything but "front" hexes, all the way around — but you probably would be safer in HTH, simply because it can't aim most of its weapons at hexes that it occupies.

I wonder… could it get you if you were directly beneath it?
Old 01-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
I wonder… could it get you if you were directly beneath it?
Depends on your location relative to its treads...
Old 01-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
KevinJ

Time to map out the interior and drop it in some obscure location as a OOPArt...