Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #11
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Pyramid #3/87: Low-Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
It's one of the reasons why I love GURPS - it doesn't just have to be all crunch, all the time. We have some truly amazing scholars who write what amounts to an essay - but in gameable form. I may be alone, but that's pretty incredible to me.
I too find it awesome.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #12
Dexion

The Broken Blade article is wonderfull. I really love it.
After a few fights, I find it very simple to use.
But I have a question. How do you handle it with the Cross Parry option for MA p.121 or when the parry or block is in the DB marge?

Dexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexion View Post
The Broken Blade article is wonderfull. I really love it.
After a few fights, I find it very simple to use.
But I have a question. How do you handle it with the Cross Parry option for MA p.121 or when the parry or block is in the DB marge?

Good question - maybe take 1.5x the Breakage Threshold (so the threshold for each weapon goes up by 50%) but apply full damage to each.

So if you have two weapons with ST 8 (say two large knives or something, books not with me), and cross parry a blow with 9 points of damage, you'd compare 9 to 8 x 1.5 = 12, and parry with no problem. I think Failure Increment might be 2 for this one, and it would not change.

If you parry a 15 point blow the same way, then you'd apply the 15 points to the threshold of 12, and since that exceeds the threshold by 3, you'd make a HT roll for each weapon at -1, because you're over the threshold by one full increment for failure, but not 2.

This has the advantage that if you cross-parry with (say) a ST 6 parrying dagger and a ST 10 sword, you can just adjust thresholds to 9 and 15, and apply one damage total to each.

Do not re-calculate the failure increment, I'd say.

Thanks for the comments!

Last edited by DouglasCole; 02-23-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: edited to take out something that seemed easy but wasn't.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #14
Dexion

The Broken blade system is very good and after numerous fights using it I have some questions:
-Anybody try to use something similar for armor?
-How to adapt the spells (Weaken, Shatter, Explode, Ruin, Repair or Shatterproof M116-118) of the Making and Breaking College. This spells mainly remove or restore HP. And this is the Robustness (HT score) that is testing in Broken Blade.

For example of situations I have in mind, I think of the fight in GoT where the steel sword of Sam is broken/shatter by the magical hit of a white walker (my idea of the Shatter spell). Or in the Snow White and the Huntsman when the Huntsman block with a shield a projection of glass shard than eats the wood of his shield.

For Shatterproof I think that is just a +2 bonus to HT, or it possible to do a variable bonus proportionnet to Energy. But I not sure how to handle others.

In addition how to simulate, in HT tests, the effects of acid, extreme heat or cold attack to weaken or destroy armor and weapon?

Thanks
Dexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:18 PM   #15
Varyon

Pagan (for some reason it's not letting me quote you)*:

Remainder refers to how much is left over once you've evenly divided as much as you can. The remainder is the numerator (the number on top) of the remaining fraction. In this case, you have an end result of 1 and 2/6, meaning a remainder of 2, so 1d+2. The safety threshold is basically the highest amount of damage where rolling all 6's won't risk damaging the weapon.

*EDIT: I see now that you've deleted your post. I'll leave this up in case someone else has a similar question (original was on why a MinST 8 weapon has a threshold of 8, when 8/6 is 1.333).
Old 05-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #16
Pagan

Varyon,

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I figured it out right after I posted and reread that section of the article, so I deleted the post.

Tags
low-tech, pyramid 3/87