Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #721
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Got Richard E. Byrd and E.W. Barton-Wright converted.

I did Barton-Wright a little differently by grouping all skills that were part of his Bartitsu together and adding in relevant techniques. While knowledge of Inp-Earth's June 2012 commemoration might bring him into the public eye again on Dsp-Earth (he so fell of the radar in the 1930s that the authors of Who's Who didn't even know when he died), without some spirit powering up at 77 years old I don't think he would be little more then a curiosity.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:57 PM   #722
Prince Charon

Given the amount of progress that I haven't made on the Order of Battle for the third Operation Pencil Sharpener expedition, nor the Axis force sent to stop them, I'm currently thinking that I'll be moving the departure to a little later in August, so that the battle can take place in September, 2014, and the orders of battle can be posted in-between (listing what's going to be there is something that I think I should finish before the battle is posted, but probably doesn't absolutely need to be posted before the departure).

The main reason I'm doing this is that this is the one thing that is holding August up, and I posted July, 2014 more than a year ago. You can probably expect the new timeline update tomorrow, or possibly on or just after New Years Day.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #723
Prince Charon

Happy New Year!

August, 2014 (1942 on Earth-2, 1880 on Earth-3, 1557 on Earth-4, and 516 CE/1269 AUC on Earth-5)

August 1: In Dsp-Fawcett City, Wis., Dr. Beautia Sivana completes a series of operations to give her half-sister Georgia a more pleasing appearance, due to her belief that 'everyone has a right to be beautiful, if they want to.' On Earth-4, the Beriev Altair from July 3, 2014, being slower than other Earth-1 spaceplanes due to errors in the upgrade process, finally arrives, landing at sea north of Mérida, Clp-Mexica.

Aug. 3: A 'wake-reducing' device (limited psychokinetic control of seawater) is developed by Axis scientists in Dsp-Königsberg - the equipment is bulky, and does not scale down well. In Dsp-UK, the RAF accept delivery of the Boulton Paul Reliant, a 'modernized' version of the company's Defiant turreted fighter. Originally intended to be a new Mark of the Defiant, the Reliant is so different that it needed a new designation: the fighter uses a jet engine based on that of the MiG-15, a pair of forward autocannons based on the NR-23 from that aircraft (while retaining the Defiant's four-gun turret), as well as swept wings, head-up displays, low-light and infrared cameras and targeting sensors, and missile hard-points based on Inp-US and Inp-UK technology delivered by MIRV (see June 13, 2013), generally equivalent to Earth-1 1960s equipment (albeit using multiplex vacuum tubes, rather than transistors). Missiles include both air-to-air (for anti-bomber duties) and air-to-surface (primarily radar-seekers). Earth-1 observers are somewhat dubious about the use of a turret on this fighter.

Aug. 5: The Soviet Navy is observed using aircraft practically identical to the Vought F5U (see April 20, 2014). OSS analysts determine that in order for the Soviets to have them in the numbers observed, they must have gotten examples, if not full production plans, months before the first losses at sea. Hermann Goering gives in to the pleading of his brother and, after completing negotiations with Il Duce, sends the inmates from those concentration camps that still exist to Italy by train. He also arranges for his family to take a vacation in Switzerland, though he himself must remain in Berlin.

Aug. 7: In Dsp-USA, United States Rocket Academy opens its doors; the school fight song, 'We are the Rocketeers of the Academy,' plays well on the radio. The Red Skull assassinates Goering, assumes the position of Führer, and orders the trains carrying concentration camp prisoners to be stopped. He is mostly too late, as Goering and Mussolini made the trains run on time, such that most of them are already in Italy.

Aug. 8: Dsp-German rat-bomb paranoia reaches its highest point, after a Wehrmacht soldier witnesses a rat enter an ammo dump in Dsp-Paris, shortly before said dump explodes (the soldier only survived because his patrol route took him behind a sturdy stone wall just after seeing the rat; he was deafened for some hours, however). It is very likely that the rat had nothing to do with the explosion, but the SOE has little interest in enlightening them. The Red Skull threatens war with Dsp-Italy if the concentration camp prisoners are not returned. Mussolini sends a coded message to the Allies: 'Alea iacta est.' Allied personnel in North Africa, Malta, and the British Isles begin loading onto troopships within a few hours of the transmission.

Aug. 9: Italy declares war on Dsp-Germany, and officially joins the Allies. On Earth 1, after a disturbing and rather painful conversation with the thoughtform of Chloe Sullivan, Allison Mack arranges for a lawyer to contact the FBI on her behalf, on the matter of testifying against NXIVM.

Aug. 10: The Perisid meteor shower occurs over Earth 1; some of the meteor fragments that reach the surface continue to glow faintly in various colours, even after cooling. Early in the morning, Allied troops begin landing in northern Dsp-Italy. Pius XII sends out an encyclical condemning the Nazis, and copies of the summary thereof are dropped as propaganda leaflets on southern Dsp-Germany.

Aug. 11: The Red Skull officially charters the Waffen-SS Psikorps, a currently regiment-sized paramilitary unit of psychics (mostly telepaths), with company or battalion-sized 'divisions,' mostly trained by the Cythereans, and a very few already-skilled native Dsp-German psykers. To aid in deceiving the Allies as to the number of active psykers in the SS, the SS-Psikorps is somewhat light on junior officers, having about as many men and women ranked at SS-Sturmbannführer (equivalent to a Major) as at SS-Untersturmführer (equivalent to a Second Lieutenant). Enlisted and NCO members of the SS-Psikorps tend to have rather weak abilities, or in some cases, no active power, but training in assisting psychics in some manner.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #724
Prince Charon

Aug. 12: In Inp-USA, the Z-95 Headhunter prototype (see Nov. 3, 2013) takes its first flight, though it does not break atmosphere at this time. In Dsp-Egypt, Chief Warrant Officer Theodore Adams, an American adventurer, occultist, thief, tomb-robber, murderer, and US Army deserter stumbles upon the tomb of the Pharaoh known in modern times as Narmer or Menes, though in his own time he was called Tethadom, and his kingdom was called Kahndaq. Dsp-German troops attempting to invade Dsp-Italia are surprised by fully armed and operational Italian artillery brigades where there should have been only a few incomplete and understrength battalions, backed by Allied units.

Aug. 14: On Earth-5, the Arthurian expedition to Fa-America leaves the port of Londinium. On Earth-2, the 79th Armoured Division is formed by the British Army, and given resposibility for, among other alternative tank designs, the experimental infantry section tanks (see May 19, 2014).

Aug. 15: The third Operation Pencil Sharpener mission begins gathering in Earth-1 orbit.

Aug. 16: First flight of the Saunders-Roe SR.A/2, a hydrofoil variant of Earth-1's Saunders-Roe SR.A/1, from the River Severn near RAF Filton on Earth-2; the aircraft performs quite well. Also on Dsp-Earth, a Russian fleet and a Chinese fleet, both believed to be heading to attack Australia, instead suddenly turn west to attack the more lightly-protected Philippines. Battle off Luzon occurs, followed by the Battle of Manila. Douglas MacArthur dies at the Battle of Manila. The third Operation Pencil Sharpener expedition leaves Earth-1 orbit on the way to Earth-2.

Aug. 19: Kriegsmarine aircraft carriers are spotted using a very similar design to the Soviet F5U ripoff, above (Aug. 5), during the Battle of Suðuroy. The battle is a British victory, with German ships Graf Zeppelin and Jade (the only operational Dsp-German aircraft carriers at this time) are sunk along with the destroyers Z4 Richard Beitzen, Z10 Hans Lody, and Z20 Karl Galster, while the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen is crippled and taken in tow; on the Royal Navy side, HMS Brighton is sunk, HMS Dasher and HMS Badsworth are crippled and have to be towed back to port, and HMS Revenge will need her forward turret replaced, but is capable of navigation. In Inp-Russia, Vladymir Putin dies in a car accident.

Aug. 21: Gedankenpolizei (Thought Police) 'division' (company-size) of the SS-Psikorps activated. This unit consists of high-power, high-skill telepaths with great 'ideological purity.' Their duty is to investigate the minds of the rest of the Psikorps, and sometimes of the SS and Wehrmacht, for opinions contrary to Nazi doctrine, and to correct such if necessary. SS-Oberführer Alfred Bester is promoted (on paper) to SS-Gruppenführer und Generalleutnant der Waffen-SS, to command the rather officer-heavy 'division' (the Gedankenpolizei literally have slightly more officers than enlisted men at this time, though the number of NCOs somewhat balances this).

Aug. 23: Sarah Michelle Gellar and Eliza Dushku begin writing the biography of Mary Peabody of Texas, a Slayer and amateur inventor who lived in the Dsp-Republic of Texas (briefly) and the USA of Earth-2 from 1843 to 1862. Miss Peabody is notable for having invented a bullet-sized wooden rocket able to kill vampires after being fired out of a revolver (provided it had time to accelerate), and for the Council waiving her Cruciamentum due to the fact that she killed two vampires using clever traps before she was Called in 1857.

Aug. 26: Black Widow meets Captain America, but escapes after a significant conversation. Apollo Applications Program, Incorporated (a company of empowered NASA fans, mostly pre-Space Shuttle) is founded in Orlando, FL, Inp-USA.

Aug. 30: Second Battle of the Heligoland Bight (1942) occurs on Earth-2. Just before the battle, Commodore (First Class) Sir Rupert John Hornblower, KBE, RN, signals that 'England expects that every man will do his duty.' Following the RN and RAF victory, the Royal Marines are landed on Heligoland, beginning the Battle of Hauptinsel (named for the main island of the Heligoland archipelago). Shortly thereafter, the German garrison surrenders to the British. Stone frigate HMS Heligoland commissioned.

(In regard to Aug. 7, 'We are the Rocketeers of the Academy' is the first line of a song my mother listened to as a child in the 1950s, close enough to this period that the same artist might have written it. I am unable to find anything about the song itself online.)

Thoughts?

-- Tacitus

Old 01-02-2020, 05:30 AM   #725
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
In regard to Aug. 7, 'We are the Rocketeers of the Academy' is the first line of a song my mother listened to as a child in the 1950s, close enough to this period that the same artist might have written it. I am unable to find anything about the song itself online.
I did find something that could be close (or tweeked to fit). It appears in Texas Monthly Nov 1982 pg 272:

We are the rocketeers
We are the pioneers
We are the Engineers
The Biggest bunch of crazies
Who ever lifted beers

Change that last line to "Who ever launched men into the Stratospheres" and I could easily see such a song being sung over the radio by some now forgotten singer/group in 1950's
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:28 PM   #726
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
I did find something that could be close (or tweeked to fit). It appears in Texas Monthly Nov 1982 pg 272:

We are the rocketeers
We are the pioneers
We are the Engineers
The Biggest bunch of crazies
Who ever lifted beers

Change that last line to "Who ever launched men into the Stratospheres" and I could easily see such a song being sung over the radio by some now forgotten singer/group in 1950's
Not the one that I was looking for, but nonetheless interesting. Thank you for the effort.

-- Tacitus

Old 01-06-2020, 06:22 AM   #727
maximara
On Notice

Well all the people who were alive in OTL in the years of the respective Earths when the event happened are done. As expected Fantasy Earth has the least (only 2), Clockpunk Earth has 9, Steampunk Earth has 15 with 5 of them likely having counterparts on Dieselpunk Earth which has 13.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #728
Prince Charon

Sorry that this isn't an update.

Thinking about Iron Munro, and how, if at all, he fits into this timeline (remembering that the Superman of Earth-2 was the person Phil Wylie of Earth-2 based Hugo Danner on, and that there isn't a separate super-powered 'Hugo Danner' in this setting). It's something that I should have worked out earlier, but I kept getting distracted. There are a few possibilities. I'm not putting this to a vote, exactly, but I am asking for opinions:

1. He exists on Earth-2 under that name, and with pretty close to the same personal history and powers (in which case Superman should know about him by now, even if he hasn't done much with his powers, yet). I don't like this option, since it means that others would have noticed him by now (even with there undoubtedly being a lot of teenage boys living in America and Canada named something close to 'Arnold Munro,' there are ways to narrow it down, not all of them ethical). It would be fine if I had gotten around to him early on, but now it's harder to justify.

2. He exists with a reasonably similar personal history and powers, but he isn't named 'Arnold Munro,' in much the same way that the Superman was not named 'Hugo Danner' growing up, and isn't named 'Clark Kent,' now. Kal'El would still have heard of DC's Iron Munro early on (due to getting information from the Future Earth) and gone looking for women that he'd been with in the past, and would have most likely found him by now, but his existence might not be public as yet.

3. The Superman has a child or children, but either none of them are similar to Iron Munro from the comics, or the Arnold Munro equivalent of Earth-2 is a much younger child than the comics say that he should be in 1942.

4. Kal'El has no children on Earth-2 at this time, but there's a child who was made using mad science and samples of the Superman's blood, who is a close enough equivalent to Iron Munro (which sounds a lot like the post-Crisis Superboy's origin, but without Superman having a near-death experience; if he is created by Alexei Luthor, it sounds like the Young Justice Cartoon Superboy's origin).

5. Earth-2 just has no equivalent of Iron Munro at this time, full stop.

6. Something that I haven't considered (anyone have suggestions?).

Thoughts?

-- Tacitus

Old 01-25-2020, 12:30 AM   #729
ronwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Sorry that this isn't an update.

Thinking about Iron Munro, and how, if at all, he fits into this timeline (remembering that the Superman of Earth-2 was the person Phil Wylie of Earth-2 based Hugo Danner on, and that there isn't a separate super-powered 'Hugo Danner' in this setting).
6. Something that I haven't considered (anyone have suggestions?).

Thoughts?
It maybe too late to do this degree of a retcon but: Al Schroeder of Schroeder's Speculations had the idea that Hugo Danner and Clark Kent were the same person. Hugo fakes his death at the end of Gladiator and created Clark to rid himself of all the baggage Hugo had picked up. A twenty years older Kal-El would have time to have a child by any of the women mentioned in the novel before WWI. An immortal Kryptonian might still look young enough for him to associate with the Legion during this "missing decade" and to pass as a Superboy.
ronwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #730
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwit View Post
It maybe too late to do this degree of a retcon but: Al Schroeder of Schroeder's Speculations had the idea that Hugo Danner and Clark Kent were the same person. Hugo fakes his death at the end of Gladiator and created Clark to rid himself of all the baggage Hugo had picked up. A twenty years older Kal-El would have time to have a child by any of the women mentioned in the novel before WWI. An immortal Kryptonian might still look young enough for him to associate with the Legion during this "missing decade" and to pass as a Superboy.
It's already canon for this version of Earth-2 that the Superman is the person that Phil Wylie of Earth-2 based the fictional character Hugo Danner on. I really should have mentioned that, but since it had been established as part of the setting for years now, I forgot that most people wouldn't remember that.

-- Tacitus

Tags
5 earths in a row, alternative earths, infinite worlds