Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #21
Culture20

Default Re: DF Monsters: A Wizard did It!

There are entire sites devoted to photoshopped hybrid animals, some are quite well done, and others are frightening because of the animals they're made from. Hybridize anything with top tier predators, and you have dangerous weird things.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hybr...oshop&tbm=isch

Speaking of hybrid photoshops:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Vroat: a cross between a giant toad and a crocodile, they jump and bite with their big jaws.
A Vroat? https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AUEJDw91ceI/maxresdefault.jpg

A monster I never got around to using when I was a DM was the AD&D Oriental Adventures version of a goblin spider: just a giant spider that was able to mimic human speech like a parrot. So most of what is says are "Aaah! It's eating me!" "Save yourselves!" "It's a giant spider!" "Hello, are you trying to communicate?" "I think we're safe now." And despite all the spider webs, and even the spider yelling about a giant spider, the players would still have to make fear checks as the spider attacks them, screaming like a human being killed by a giant spider. Hilarity might ensue if players think it's intelligent and aren't 100% murder-hobos.

Last edited by Culture20; 09-17-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #22
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Tapestry Golem:
Tapestry Golems are flexible, animated lengths of fabric perfect for guarding entraces you don't want to stick a big obvious statue next to. Tapestry Golems appear as rugs, carpets, bed handings, and other upholstry until the moment they strike. Tapestry Golems are homogenous and completely immune to crushing damage (but not knockback), and have a constriction attack. Tapestry golems no longer look nearly as fine once they've been through a battle or two, but who will suspect the curtain? The theif is already worried about what's BEHIND the curtain...
A related construct
The sack Golem
This patient construct usually just waits, balled up in a corner near some treasure. Once someone picks it up it will wait for an opportunity to engulf and strangle it's prey.

The main problem with dealing with a sack golem that has wrapped itself around someones head and upper body is blow through. . .
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #23
(E)

Collar of sustenance
This collar is a product of a combined food/mind control enchantment that allows the animal wearing it to patiently wait for decades.

It may be seen around the neck of a tiger that is the sole occupant of a locked 10 foot by 10 foot room.

Last edited by (E); 09-17-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #24
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
There are entire sites devoted to photoshopped hybrid animals, some are quite well done, and others are frightening because of the animals they're made from. Hybridize anything with top tier predators, and you have dangerous weird things.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hybr...oshop&tbm=isch
For a real "hybrid" animal look for pictures of the mantis fly. It's harmless but looks like a flying praying mantis.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #25
zoncxs

Gas Slim.

A wizard somehow managed to evaporate a Slim's body into gas and move it's conscious into a pocket dimension while having it still maintain its mental link to its now gaseous form, the wizard was then immediately suffocated to death.

The slim consumes all the moisture within its reach and is capable of pulling moisture out of bodies. It can also cause you suffocate if it surrounds you. The only way to kill it is to either somehow pull it's conscious back from the pocket dimension and then condense the gas into liquid or solid form and then destroy it.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #26
(E)

Depthlings

A magically created Goblin-kin subspecies.
Smaller, weaker and even more cowardly, and sadistic.

Numerous, great at stealth and small places. Possessing Dark vision they naturally avoid light and hide in the dark.

Less an opponent and more of an infestation. They will attack from stealth and then leave, hoping whatever substance they coated their weapon with will have the desired effect.

They could almost be treated as an environmental condition.

Last edited by (E); 09-21-2016 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #27
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Firelings
Brutal stupid warriors with an innate affinity with fire. Firelings have thick, ashen hides, no body hair, and wicked faces. They can blow small blasts of fire out of their mouths, and have a high resistance to it. They love to set things on fire, mostly for the fun of watching them burn. They're a favorite minion of dragons and wizards fond of flooding battlefields with fire.

Firelings are too brutal and stupid to maintain numbers without a master making sure they're kept fed and from killing each other. In a twist of Irony, legend has it that they were created to slay dragons, not to serve them.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #28
Gnome

Cordlings
These demonic creations appear as animated, vaguely humanoid-shaped knots of rope or twine that can either whip, entangle, or strangle their victims. More powerful Chainlings exist as well, which appear as humanoid bundles of chains of course, are stronger and tougher, and don't share the Cordlings' vulnerability to fire attacks.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #29
(E)

The Gulkig Clan

This group of goblins is led by a necromancer shaman who was lucky enough to come across the body of a Hill Giant. The Giant was reanimated as a skeleton and the Gulkig clan filled it with their smallest warriors. Over the years they have made several running repairs and added a few improvements.

- a shrine in the head makes it resistant to religeous undead counters
- layers of armour and cover has been added.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #30
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Cordlings
These demonic creations appear as animated, vaguely humanoid-shaped knots of rope or twine that can ...
Not to be confused with rope elementals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
The Gulkig Clan
- a shrine in the head makes it resistant to religeous undead counters
- layers of armour and cover has been added.
That's just awesome. A giant skeleton with a shrine in its skull, and defensive archers.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, monsters