Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
chang

Default How many can i put down into play (in the table)?

Hi,
me and my friends got into a discussion yesterday that we couldn't solve; even though for some of us was obvious (we had 2 new players to our group that it seems have being playing the game quite difference)

This game was based on super munchkin, I also own munchkin (deluxe version) and munchkin bites! which i play the same, of course with added race, or no power and you know.. :)

So after reviewing the item and when to play section:

1. You can:
- have one class, sidekick, one head, one body, one foot and 2 one hand or one 2 handed (unless u have a card that affect this, eg super munchkin)
- unlimited origins
- one hq
- power as many as the rank total does not go above ur level (unless u have that origin card that aloud u to have unlimited power no matter ur level.. cant find the card on my deck now <.<)
right?
(we all agree on the above)

2. You can not NOT put anything down that does not have a gold value bc it is not an item (mainly those cards that have "usable once only" e.g "contrived escape", others that affect combat e.g "alternate world version"; "go up one level" cards... and so) These cards that have no gold value cant be put down in the table into play as "in used", nor as "carried". Correct??
(this was the 1st argument - they say you could put them down as carried and use them whenever... this way you would have dozens "carried" and never use charity, and the amount of damage/affect you can do to a combat would be insane... no? They say this were the same as the "one shot item" from the original munchkin, but that is not right because those have value, hence ARE items, these are not... )

3. They are other cards that have gold value (hence items) and give u bonus e.g "utility girdle", "molybdenum skateboard" >> of this u can have "in use" as many as you want, no?
(second argument - They say it was only 1 of this "in use" others carried because they were under the same category as some of cards mention in point #1 (mainly gear). This way you would never get high enough, no?)

4. And all these items (have gold value) classified as "small items" (no important for super munchkin, but figured i clarified bc i see that one under the same line and coming once we play munchkin original)

5. there is one card called "insane obsession" that specified "no value" and give you "+1 bonus"; so i read this card as a "item card" because it talks about value, right?

Really appreciate the clarification, we couldn't finish the game and had to play something else. <.<

PS they are several points but i think they all go into the same category, hope I'm not braking any rule forum. thx
Old 04-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: How many can i put down into play (in the table)?

There's a difference between asking a multi-part question, as opposed to asking multiple random questions, so in this case, you're doing just fine.

As for your question, I'm going to try to answer everything, and in some cases, I may cover some points you already have, but I'm just doing it to be complete rather than just comment on points you made:

At the root of it, in Super Munchkin you may have only one Class, one HQ, one Sidekick, unlimited Origins, any number of Powers whose sum of Ranks does not exceed your Level, and any number of small Items in play. Yes, if you add in other Munchkin versions, you might have to deal with Big Items, and in that case, you may have only one Big Item in play.

What I want to make clear, since it's a frequent misconception, is that you can carry (in other words, have in play) any number of what some people might refer to as "slot" Items: Headgear, Footgear, Armor, and Hand Items. However, you can only use (in other words, get a bonus or special ability from) one of each type of Item. So, you can carry 3 Headgear Items, but you can only use one. You can use any number of Items that don't qualify as one of those Items indicated above.

As for value: Items have a Gold Piece value, which includes the phrase "No Value." Anything else is not an Item, and can't be kept in play unless it's one of the other cards mentioned above, or says so on the card or in the rules: In some Munchkin games, there are cards that are not Items, but give a continuing bonus, so they remain in play. You can't keep GUAL cards, or cards like Contrived Escape and Wardrobe Malfunction in play. However, you can still put one-shot Items in play.

I'm hoping I covered everything, but if I missed something, don't hesitate to point it out.
MiB #1029
Old 04-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
six's monkey

The limit on big items would seem to be a niggling complication that was omitted for brevity.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Brf

Quote:
Originally Posted by six's monkey View Post
omitted for brevity.
It was omitted because Super Munchkin has no Big items.
There is no need to include a rule for a non-existant case.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Reminder: Munchkin 101 discourages discussion threads. If you can elaborate on someone else's answer in a useful, informative way, do so, but don't comment otherwise. Thanks.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Closed Thread