Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #11
T.K.

Default Re: Using high cost spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Do you roll breakage for peoples belts? scabbards? hats? boots? and other stuff strapped on people that are not enchanted as part of them?
Do your player characters are born with belts, scabbards, hats and boots? Because that would be the correlate to a item enchanted with a gem from the very beginning...

...which is _WORLDS_ different from strapping gems of irregular size and shape, that were made in different times, places and by different people being attached to a staff that most likely was made to function as a weapon and thus have very hard wood as composition and very rough and defined edges.

Most certainly I'd require rolls for breakage if the mage in question got involved into any physical convolution like combat or running if he had stuff among the lines of potions or flasks hanging outside of potion-holder belts.
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.K. View Post
...which is _WORLDS_ different from strapping gems of irregular size and shape, that were made in different times, places and by different people being attached to a staff that most likely was made to function as a weapon and thus have very hard wood as composition and very rough and defined edges.
Ah, so jewelry making is an unknown art in your world, sure, you are the GM. But in most worlds there are actually professionals who can do such things.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.K. View Post
a staff that most likely was made to function as a weapon and thus have very hard wood as composition and very rough and defined edges.
I disagree with the characterization of a staff-weapon as very rough with defined edges. A staff-weapon should be smooth, to allow easy transition between different hand positions, and well balanced. A fully round shape will reduce chipping if the staff hits hard objects.

Of course, a mage's magic staff isn't usually designed to be a weapon, or een look like one. A tall walking stick with gems ensconced in either end, and intended to be used in extending the reach of spells, not bashing orcs over the head. Probably enchanted with essential wood, too. If the mage is especially paranoid, the powerstones could be enchanted with further protections, and if the PC is especially paranoid, the staff and powerstones could be purchased as signature gear.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quarterstaffs intended as weapons were almost inevitable shod at both ends with metal caps or ferrules. Sure, an improvised staff made from any old stick wouldn't have this feature, but if you're paying money for one (as in fantasy games), you're getting such furniture. In light of that, I don't think it's particularly over the top to assume that the hardware at either end of a wizard's staff normally has a "Powerstone hollow" under it. In fact, there are plenty of real-world examples of caps that screwed off to reveal small carrying compartments. These would protect both staff and contents, and if anything make the weapon more durable.

As for length . . . a six-foot staff is a short staff. It can go and be wielded anywhere a six-foot man can go and fight. It's hardly so long as to be unwieldy, as it isn't swung around like some huge maul or axe. In traditional staff fighting, the long staff or pikestaff was considered the unwieldy one, but it was up to 12 feet long, so there was good reason for that.

Honestly, denying wizards six-foot staffs with gems at opposite ends – while within the GM's purview – is somewhat denying how ordinary, non-wizardly staffs normally work.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #15
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Quarterstaffs intended as weapons were almost inevitable shod at both ends with metal caps or ferrules. Sure, an improvised staff made from any old stick wouldn't have this feature, but if you're paying money for one (as in fantasy games), you're getting such furniture. In light of that, I don't think it's particularly over the top to assume that the hardware at either end of a wizard's staff normally has a "Powerstone hollow" under it. In fact, there are plenty of real-world examples of caps that screwed off to reveal small carrying compartments. These would protect both staff and contents, and if anything make the weapon more durable.

As for length . . . a six-foot staff is a short staff. It can go and be wielded anywhere a six-foot man can go and fight. It's hardly so long as to be unwieldy, as it isn't swung around like some huge maul or axe. In traditional staff fighting, the long staff or pikestaff was considered the unwieldy one, but it was up to 12 feet long, so there was good reason for that.

Honestly, denying wizards six-foot staffs with gems at opposite ends – while within the GM's purview – is somewhat denying how ordinary, non-wizardly staffs normally work.
The reason the idea is for a 6 foot staff is because that's the maximum length a Staff spell can be enchanted onto, so denying Mages access to 6 foot starves is a bit unusual for GURPS
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
... It can go and be wielded anywhere a six-foot man can go and fight. ...
I wouldn't go quite that far. I don't see how one could wield it properly in tight hallways or caves requiring hunching. But certainly anywhere that allows nearly any other two handed weapon.

Though being a bit frugal, I would hesitate to smash enemies with a staff holding my life savings in gem form on either end.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #17
Bibiribobiri

So.... my approach form first post would work?

Can I spend a few days creating several manastones for free and than go running arround with huge ammounts of mana?

Can i use more than one manastone for a single spell?
Can i use a manastone that is in my pocket? (thus leaving my hands free for combat gear)?

[HR] Tactical Combat Overhaul: house rules for adding depth to attack speed mechanics
Bibiribobiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibiribobiri View Post
So.... my approach form first post would work?

Can I spend a few days creating several manastones for free and than go running arround with huge ammounts of mana?
Yes, of course you need the gems(or other valuable things) to cast it at and a GM could rule things like quirks staying in gems(objects) if re-enchanted or that a given gem(object) can be enchanted only once or some other limitation, but if you have the gems to enchant the base approach is yes.

Of course if you can get 20 energy into the casting the whole thing becomes nice and easy, as they can be cast on any items, so you can create small stones with any amount of power by casting manastone multiple times at x4 cost.

If you cannot get the 20 energy then you need a lot of money to buy the items to enchant to power 10.

Quote:
Can i use more than one manastone for a single spell?
No, mana stones have same limits are power stones.

Quote:
Can i use a manastone that is in my pocket? (thus leaving my hands free for combat gear)?
No. "Any wizard touching a Powerstone ..." and so on.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #19
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
"Any wizard touching a Powerstone ..."
Which is one reason for the Staff spell and building a Powerstone into the staff.

To keep your hands free, you might consider stringing the manastone(s) into a necklace, amulet, bracelet, etc, and wearing that against your skin.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #20
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibiribobiri View Post
On a technicality, a specially designed pocket that keeps the stone in constant contact with your flesh would work. Otherwise, no, you actually have to touch it.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost, fatigue points, magic, manastone, recover energy