Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #11
Astromancer

Default Re: Roma RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
From what we know though, they abandoned the Vedic traditions and made their own (for example, they do not truck with Hindu cosmology, deities, and mythology).

r.
You may be right on many points, but remember Vedic tradition is a fairly small subset within India's religious practices. The Roma descend from tribes of wandering Smith's or at least that's the dominant theory. Many such tribes even in today's India follow religious practises and myths unrelated to Hinduism or Vedic tradition.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #12
Lameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
FYI: I edited this thread to remove a word increasingly considered to be offensive. Please be aware of the effects of the language you choose.
Honestly I was going to complain about this and stress that perhaps that is taking things too far but that’s fine. I think it has to do with context and how the word is used and what it is being used for. I have literally never been edit it before. I think from my post you can tell the reason and the purpose that I was using the word. Even gurps, and many other rpgs, uses it in books. Yes times change and we learn and adjust. But again, context. But that is fine. It was not used in any way to disparage.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #13
Lameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
You may be right on many points, but remember Vedic tradition is a fairly small subset within India's religious practices. The Roma descend from tribes of wandering Smith's or at least that's the dominant theory. Many such tribes even in today's India follow religious practises and myths unrelated to Hinduism or Vedic tradition.
Ok I’ll blame ignorance and the public School system on this… But when I describe a “Roma” magical tradition...akin to Drag me to Hell, Hunchback of NotreDame, Wolfman, Thinner, Ravenloft, etc...are they of India historically or of Egypt or eastern Europe? I have alsways assumes...stupidly Romania or alike.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

They traveled from the Indian Subcontinent through Southwest Asia and then divided into two branches, one that migrated through North Africa (including Egypt) and one the migrated through Eastern Europe. Sometimes that were tolerated, sometimes they were enslaved, sometimes that were expelled, but they were usually distrusted. They often adopted the local religion (usually Christianity or Islam) while keeping their own traditions.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #15
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
Ok I’ll blame ignorance and the public School system on this… But when I describe a “Roma” magical tradition...akin to Drag me to Hell, Hunchback of NotreDame, Wolfman, Thinner, Ravenloft, etc...are they of India historically or of Egypt or eastern Europe? I have alsways assumes...stupidly Romania or alike.
If you want Romantic Fantasy Roma out of 19th century literature why not find the book "Egyptian Secrets." I'll check the title. It proports to be the magical practises of the Roma ( who were said in folklore to be Egyptians) . The myth of Roma as Egyptians is the source of a common but no longer acceptable name for the Roma. They were often called Egyptians in English law

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-16-2019, 07:18 PM   #16
Astromancer

I had the right title, Albertus Magnus is your author. It's what 19th Romantics and Hollywood scriptwriters would have used. It has nothing to do with real Roma but it's what people believed they believed.

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #17
Michele

Divination is obvious. Trappings and forms of "real" divination are secret to any outsider, with tarot cards and crystal balls being meant to separate the gullible from their excess money. Palmistry might be part of serious divination, or yet another trick. But that all is good news to you: if it's all secret you are free to come up with whatever you like.

Roma (at least those I know of) have significant traditions concerning the dead, funerals, proper burials etc.; there also are remnants of legends about revenants coming back from sudden death if they were murdered, treated unfairly, or even not properly buried (and, of course, taking vengeance against the living who did any of that). So I wouldn't be surprised if a Rom witch had some necromancy up her sleeve.

Cultural traditions and customs stress purity and purification. Blood is impure, and so are (obviously!!) bodily fluids and waste, so any magic involving any of that would certainly be evil and harmful, while healing magic would steer clear of such things.

As to the question of whether the Vedas are important to them - I'd say no. They tend to adopt the main religion of the place. Italian Roma are Catholics, elsewhere they are Orthodox Christians, then there are the Horahane ("readers of the Koran", so you get it), etc.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #18
AlexanderHowl

In addition, lower garments are contaminated and must be washed separate from upper garments (clothing of women who are menstruating or who gave birth must also be washed seperately).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:39 AM   #19
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In addition, lower garments are contaminated and must be washed separate from upper garments (clothing of women who are menstruating or who gave birth must also be washed seperately).
That's a manifestation of the taboo I mentioned above.