Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #31
lordabdul

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
What? Half your move? But I also never realized it!
Haha oh well I'm happy the thread was useful :D

Interesting comments about relative vs. absolute SM in combat... mmh, I had never thought about it that much.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #32
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Indeed. And if you want to read someone's nerdy commentary on why things work that way, I offer this. (All exposition that nobody needs, but hey, there it is.)
You had me at nerdy commentary!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #33
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
For a long time I didn't realize that All-Out Attack lets you move half your Move. Yeah. I know.
Isn't AOA also actually FULL move if your attack is a slam, per Martial Arts?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:41 PM   #34
Gollum

I didn't read it anywhere (which doesn't mean that it is not written somewhere). Now, the Slam attack allows to use the Move and Attack maneuver without the -4 and the cap of 9 (Basic Set, page 371).
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:50 AM   #35
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

I didn't read it anywhere (which doesn't mean that it is not written somewhere).
That you can use full Move on an All-Out Attack to slam was first clarified on p. 98 of GURPS Martial Arts – although the Basic Set is written as if that were true, it never actually spells it out.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #36
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
That you can use full Move on an All-Out Attack to slam was first clarified on p. 98 of GURPS Martial Arts – although the Basic Set is written as if that were true, it never actually spells it out.
I disagree that MA was a 'clarification', no where in Basic does it even hint at allowing a full Move on an All-Out Attack, for any reason. That may have been the intent, but it wasn't in any way mentioned, even in passing or obscurely.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #37
Plane

I'm a bit unclear on is certain parameters of using Ceremonial Magic....

Like for example:

1) there are strict energy contribution limits when initially casting the spell, but are there any on maintaining it, or can any member contribute as much energy as they like for maintenance?

2) detractors who protest the ritual basically contribute 1 FP as negative 5 FP or something like that during the initial casting... can they also interfere with the maintenance costs?

3) how far apart can people be from each other to contribute to a ceremony? I remember there is a "Combat Ceremony" perk where everyone has to link hands (or staves), but I can't remember anything about proximity requirements without this perk.

4) if a spell indicates it can ONLY be cast ceremonially (like that thing next to Pauts in Thaumatology, I think Cone of Power?) then would the "casting time" already incorporate the x10 requirement and not be multiplied as standard?

5) specifically for Cone of Power: why is there a "6 to Maintain" when duration is worded as if it were indefinite? It seems like the duration is actually meant to be something like 1-hour?

6) Cone of Power says you can't use the energy generated to (directly) maintain the spell... but is there anything stopping someone drawing on it to cast "Lend Energy" to restore the spent reserves of one of of the people maintaining the spell, and then just having it spend from their reserves?

7) for skills like Lend Energy which say cost is not reduced for high skill... are they still cast for free on a critical success?

8) I know you need at least skill 3 to attempt a skill other than an active defense (so perhaps this doesn't apply to Blocking Spells... not sure)... does that mean if your target has Magic Resistance which reduces your spell skill to less than 3 that you can't attempt the spell on them at all (so you know this and don't waste your time or energy) or that you can try anyway and just consider it an automatic failure?
Old 11-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #38
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Thank you very much. Another rule I didn't remember!

To me, even if it was not clearly written in Basic Set, the intention was still there. A slam attack requires to move and, most often, to move as fast as you can.

But the clarification was required. And it brings even more interesting detail, especially about the attack (double) option.

Last edited by Gollum; 11-14-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #39
Boge

With an All Out Attack you're allowed to move up to half your move rounded up without the penalty of a move and attack.

Unfortunately, our GM doesn't seem to like this. I used it once and he was incredibly weirded out about it after I had a VERY uncomfortable rules discussion with him. I don't think he'll allow it and will likely adjust it to something more like a double step instead.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #40
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
I don't think he'll allow it and will likely adjust it to something more like a double step instead.
You can also get a double-step by taking Committed Attack and retain some ability to defend yourself, if you're okay with giving up a +4 hit or +2 dmg or a double.

Kinda seems like maybe AOA should maybe be a bit less mobile if you take the "double" option, like if you want to throw a double-jab with your right hand at the end of a run, how much time is there for thaT?

Tags
rules