Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Ivar

Default Need help in creating a spy parasite

I ran into the problem while creating the ability for one of my characters. In theory, this ability should allow the character to infect the target with the parasite. This parasite connects to the brain of the target, and then passes everything that the target hears and sees to the character.

The problem is that I do not even have the slightest hint of how to do this in GURPS. Clairvoyance with restriction? Creating a parasite with a telepathic connection to the character? Something else? I dont know. So I'm asking for help with this. The budget for creating this ability is approximately 100 points.
Ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Need help in creating a spy parasite

I would use Mind Reading for this, with the Sensory Only limitation, to cover only being able to read the target's senses, rather than their surface thoughts.

The parasite effect could go a couple of different ways. The first model is, once you implant the parasite, you immediately start reading the target's senses, which continues until you choose to stop, at which point you lose the connection and would have to find the target and implant a new parasite. The second model is that once you implant the parasite, you can at any later point choose to "look in" on the target, reading their senses at a distance, letting them go, and then checking back in later on.

In either model, the parasite effect is best represented by a combination of the modifiers Melee Attack, Range C (which turns a normally-ranged attack into one that has no range), Contact Agent (which means you not only have to hit them in melee, you have to make contact with bare skin, and any armor will stop it), and probably Based on HT (changing the normal Will roll to resist the ability into one based on physical health instead). Which advantages those modifiers apply to changes based on the model you pick, though.

For the first model, where you start reading senses immediately, just apply the modifiers directly to Mind Reading.

For the second model, where implanting the parasite gives you the option of reading their senses, you'll need a second advantage. I'd actually suggest Mindlink, with a new enhancement: Transferable. This would be worth +300%, and it would mean the link you have is not with a specific individual, but rather could be shifted to a new target, with a second of concentration and IQ roll opposed by the target's Will (if they were unwilling), with standard range penalties. So, for this model, you'd still take Mind Reading with Sensory Only, but you'd also take Mindlink with Transferable and the other modifiers I mentioned above, which would change the transfer process into one that required physical contact, and a resistance roll on the target's part based on HT rather than Will. You'd take Mindlink at whatever level would give you the number of parasites you could simultaneously support. Then, once you had parasited someone, you'd be able to use Mind Reading on them at any distance, without penalties, automatically successfully if they were willing.

The first model looks like this:
Mind Reading (Based on target's HT, +20%; Contact Agent, -30%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Sensory Only, -20%) [12].

While the second model (using only one parasite at a time) looks like this:
Mind Reading (Mindlink targets only, -30%; Sensory Only, -20%) [15] + Mindlink (1 person; Based on target's HT, +20%; Contact Agent, -30%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Transferable, +300%) [18].
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Ivar

Default Re: Need help in creating a spy parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I would use Mind Reading for this, with the Sensory Only limitation, to cover only being able to read the target's senses, rather than their surface thoughts.

In either model, the parasite effect is best represented by a combination of the modifiers Melee Attack, Range C (which turns a normally-ranged attack into one that has no range), Contact Agent (which means you not only have to hit them in melee, you have to make contact with bare skin, and any armor will stop it), and probably Based on HT (changing the normal Will roll to resist the ability into one based on physical health instead). Which advantages those modifiers apply to changes based on the model you pick, though.

For the second model, where implanting the parasite gives you the option of reading their senses, you'll need a second advantage. I'd actually suggest Mindlink, with a new enhancement: Transferable. This would be worth +300%, and it would mean the link you have is not with a specific individual, but rather could be shifted to a new target, with a second of concentration and IQ roll opposed by the target's Will (if they were unwilling), with standard range penalties. So, for this model, you'd still take Mind Reading with Sensory Only, but you'd also take Mindlink with Transferable and the other modifiers I mentioned above, which would change the transfer process into one that required physical contact, and a resistance roll on the target's part based on HT rather than Will. You'd take Mindlink at whatever level would give you the number of parasites you could simultaneously support. Then, once you had parasited someone, you'd be able to use Mind Reading on them at any distance, without penalties, automatically successfully if they were willing.

The first model looks like this:
Mind Reading (Based on target's HT, +20%; Contact Agent, -30%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Sensory Only, -20%) [12].

While the second model (using only one parasite at a time) looks like this:
Mind Reading (Mindlink targets only, -30%; Sensory Only, -20%) [15] + Mindlink (1 person; Based on target's HT, +20%; Contact Agent, -30%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Transferable, +300%) [18].
Well, the second model describes what is happening better. But there is a small fact that this is a long-range ability. Just like the parasite should theoretically be able to find the point of implantation on the target's body itself.But thanks for the suggestion, it looks like a pretty clever way out of the situation.
Ivar is offline   Reply With Quote