Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
ArcadianRefugee

Default [3e] Improving really low-level Default Skills

I've searched the forums, but either blind or just tired.

I know how Improving Defaulted Skills works: if main skill is at IQ+1, and defaulted skill is Main-2, this puts it at IQ-1 and so is considered as if you had already spent 0.5 points on it insofar as how much it costs to raise it to IQ+0 (only another 0.5 points).

My question is this: how do you improve default skills that are "too low"?

For instance, Computer Hacking (M/VH) defaults to Computer Programming(MH)-4 (Hacking has no IQ default). If your IQ is 11 and your Computer Programming is 8 (IQ-3), your Computer Hacking would default to (8-4) 4 -- which is IQ-7. M/VH starts at IQ-4 for 0.5 points.

Would putting 0.5 points into Computer Hacking simply buy the skill outright at IQ-4? Or is there some weird formula I need to know to calculate points needed to bring it up to "IQ-6" and "IQ-5" first?

Note: I am talking using Character Points awarded in-game, not points gained through "time use" study (since I presume study would just start you off at the bottom like normal).

(Again, sorry if this has been asked somewhere before.)
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: Improving really low-level Default Skills

Half points no longer exist in 4e, so I'll assume your talking about 3e - although it makes little difference to the actual issue.

Putting the 0.5 points into Computer Hacking would buy it at the IQ-4 level. Defaults make now difference in this case.

Buying skills up from a Default is only relevant when the 'default' level is equivalent to having spent points in the defaulted skill - in which case you simply treat the default as if you had spent those points in the skill and buy up from there.

Take your IQ11 character, if they pay the points to have Computer Programming at 11 (IQ+0) (which I think was [4] points in 3e?), your Computer Hacking default would be 11-4 = 7 or IQ-4, which would be the equivalent of 0.5 points in Computer Hacking.
Paying an additonal 0.5 points would give you the equivalent of 1 point in Computer Hacking (0.5 from the default, and 0.5 actually spent), which would give you Computer Hacking at IQ-3 or 8.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Half points no longer exist in 4e, so I'll assume your talking about 3e
Yeah; GM only has 3e books so we're doing 3e.

Quote:
Putting the 0.5 points into Computer Hacking would buy it at the IQ-4 level. Defaults make now difference in this case.
OK. I was figuring as much, but since it would involve a jump of 3 levels (IQ-7 to IQ-4) I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Anaraxes

There is not a smooth progression from "default" to "minimal points in a skill", whether it's 3e or 4e. As you've noticed, there's a jump. You're not missing something; that's just the way the system works.

4e has a "Dabbler" perk (a kind of Advantage that costs 1 CP) that substitutes for fractional point accounting. You can spread the one point to various skills and get IQ-6, IQ-5, IQ-4 levels if necessary.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
gilbertocarlos

On 3E you had a skill level 1 point less than if you invested 1 point.

So, let's say that with 1 point you got Spear-12. If you paid 1/2 point you got Spear-11.

On 4E we have the Dabbler perk, that works like that:
If paying 1 point you would've gotten Skill 12:
Choose 2 skills, you have them at Skill 11. OR
Choose 4 skills, you have them at Skill 10. OR
Choose 8 skills, you have them at Skill 9.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost, default, improving, skills