Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
b-dog

Default [ATE] Return of the Immortals

The world has been destroyed by nuclear war and civilizational collapse. Ages have passed and humanity, the prize of Creation, has been reduced to tiny tribes seeking to make do with the New World. The Immortals, who in the beginning, came into the world to teach and instruct humanity have now returned to help humanity recover from apocalypse. The Immortals have returned. Some called the Alfar or Elves have returned to their ancestral home in what was once Germany and Scandinavia. The dvergar or dwarves did likewise. The djinn have returned to the Arabian lands along with the angels in the Holy Land. The leprechauns and sidhe have returned to the British Isles.

There are endless types of Immortals that have returned to help humanity recover and rebuild. The New World is not what it once was, mutants and monsters now stalk the forests and jungles while robots and AIs roam the ruins of the cities. The Immortals are making a difference to humanity. They are teaching the old ways of magic and enchanting to help overcome the endless monsters and mutants. They are also teaching the faiths of the Gods so that the Divine can also help bring back humanity from ruin.

But not all the Immortals wish to help. Some like the ogres and trolls wish to use the chaos to return and devour humans, especially children who they find delicious. The Immortals like medusae, sphinxes, chimerae, hydras, and dragons are also returning to feed on humanity. But worst of all are the demons who wish to destroy humanity completely. They have created false religions to capture the souls of humanity while also bringing back the dark arts of black magic and the undead.

With the chaos caused by the nightmare world of mutants and rogue technology and the good Immortals being occupied, the forces of darkness seek to enter the world and this time truly destroy it.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Leeland

Default Re: [ATE] Return of the Immortals

Sounds interesting, i would love to play in such a setting. What powerlevel are you thinking of for the players? 100 to 300?

Also, how high was the techlevel before the apocalypse? Are theere still some "technowizards" around generating "magic" with nanobots?

(Sidequestion: What does ATE stand for?)

Last edited by Leeland; 04-21-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Leeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeland View Post
GURPS After the End.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

What power level are you thinking of for the immortals? That really effects the way the game is played...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
What power level are you thinking of for the immortals? That really effects the way the game is played...
The PCs are 150 points to start but they can power up to very high levels. The Immortals are like the monsters in Monster Hunters. The ogres are like the fae examples from Monster Hunters rather than the lame ogres of DF. This is because humans can use high tech weapons.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeland View Post
Sounds interesting, i would love to play in such a setting. What powerlevel are you thinking of for the players? 100 to 300?

Also, how high was the techlevel before the apocalypse? Are theere still some "technowizards" around generating "magic" with nanobots?

A wizard is a person "touched" by an Immortal and allows him/her to access the powers of mana. A person so touched and also understanding of the workings of nanobots can control them.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #7
b-dog

The various races of the supernatural :

Elf'-blooded: After the world was destroyed the elves descended from Alfheimr to teach tribes of humanity the arts of survival. Over time they inter-married and had children and the elf-blooded were born. The elves returned to Alfheimr and the elf-blooded retreated to forests and secluded groves. They are averse to technology but their skill with magic compensates.

Dwarf-blooded: The dwarves are descended into the mortal realm and interbred with humanity producing short but stocky offspring. The dwarf-blooded excel in magic-technology as opposed to superscience that was the world before the fall. Thus the dwarf-blooded need mana for their contraptions to function. The dwarf-blooded live deep underground.

Troll-blooded: These may have come from the raping or humans by trolls or the intentional mating by evil humans. They live underground but come out at night to hunt. They also can live near radioactive zones and are often have mutations.

Ogre-blooded: These are like the result of rape and they are large and hungry for children. They live in caves and hunt in packs.

Pure-blooded are the Immortals who often live among the mixed blooded and act as leaders. They are much morepowerful though and have supernatural resistance to mundane attacks. Luckily, most have returned to their homelands.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

So really all demigods? Why did they leave in the first place, and why would they pop back when everything's such a nasty mess for low beasts like mankind?
I get that locals may have no answers, but as a Player I would wonder.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
So really all demigods? Why did they leave in the first place, and why would they pop back when everything's such a nasty mess for low beasts like mankind?
I get that locals may have no answers, but as a Player I would wonder.
The concept I have is that in the beginning, the Immortals were the teachers of humanity but their power rested in faith or belief. The early people had faith in the Divine and the supernatural and thus it was strong. The Infernal tried to get humanity to sin and disobey the Gods and to some extent it worked but the Divine was far stronger and the Infernal was denied victory. The Infernal plotted ways to weaken the Divine and instead of having humanity follow the Infernal they had humanity reject the Divine and the supernatural in order to destroy the faith that sustains the Gods. Over time the Infernal helped humanity to learn the mechanics of the universe in order to deny the supernatural and it succeded. Soon humanity advanced in technology and denied ever more the power of the Gods. The faith in the Gods was weakened to the point where they could no longer intervene in the material world, they could only communicate through prayer and only vaguely at that. The Infernal power grew however. Although the faith in the supernatural declined to the point where the Infernal could no longer manifest physically in the material world, the fact that people only satiated their desires with computers and virtual reality instead of being spiritual and also the endless wars and greed also delighted the Infernal. Until finally, when nuclear war almost destroyed all of Creation, the Infernal was at the height of its power.

But even after nuclear war almost destroyed Creation, some humans did survive. Humanity had a second chance and so did the Divine. The Divine was greatly weakened due to lack of faith during the height of technology so once humanity started back to its spiritual roots, the Divine sent the Immortals back to teach humanity again to follow the path of the Gods. They help to protect humanity from the mutants and teach the old ways. But the Infernal is extremely powerful due to all the wars and destruction. The mutants represent the corruption of Creation even though they are not necessarily aligned with the Infernal. The Infernal seeks to wipe out the last traces of humanity and there by destroy the faith that powers the Divine.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
acrosome

That sounds almost like Stand Still. Stay Silent. Not so much the Immortals per se, but the way some old legends have come back to life.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote