Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #11
TheAmishStig

Default Re: KS Ogre Mini

In the immortal words of TF2's Heavy: EEEEEEEENCOMIIIIIIIING! Fedex predicts Weds, but it seems to be going on an adventure; normally they get tendered to USPS at Harrisburg, which tells me Christmas mail traffic is in full swing and somebody's already diverting loads to try and cope.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Mine just arrived. I have to say, the book is beautiful; it came out great.

The supplemental sheets look great, too. I might actually consider a "real" minis game :-)
Old 12-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
totalfailure

I got my copy in NY earlier today. It is a lovely book, but some of that sense of wonder was stolen away by having the PDF file months ago. And the game is not radically different from the earlier edition; really just some stuff added to it.

That brings me to sadder news, for me anyway, and maybe SJG. I think I am not going to participate in the Battlefields Kickstarter. It seems like there have just been too many SJG kickstarters lately; this one is not especially well timed for me during the holidays while I am stuck out of work on partial pay, too. And frankly, I am just not getting to play enough to justify it, bottom line. I’d like to continue to support Ogre, but several Ogre kickstarters per year, plus other SJG Kickstarters, plus all the other gaming Kickstarters, is just too much. Somewhere you have to draw a line, and it looks like Battlefields is my bridge too far.
totalfailure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #14
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalfailure View Post
I’d like to continue to support Ogre, but several Ogre kickstarters per year, plus other SJG Kickstarters, plus all the other gaming Kickstarters, is just too much. Somewhere you have to draw a line, and it looks like Battlefields is my bridge too far.
I know what you mean, I've had to make similar choices about other stuff. Hopefully things will work out in the end.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #15
totalfailure

I don't like jumping ship, as this seems to be a critical time for Ogre, and maybe SJG in general. There's a core of around 1000 backers that are keeping Ogre alive right now; any losses hurt. But I feel SJG may be going to the Kickstarter well much too often, and I mean that in general, not just for Ogre. I understand things may not be great financially for them, and they need these cash infusions, but I think it is a path that can, and I think likely, will, backfire painfully at some point.

For me, Battlefields is just at the wrong time, as I am not getting any games with the stuff in, and am not in a good financial spot for at least the short term. Either one alone, and I would likely still be backing. But together, I'd think I'd need a psych eval if I did part with the money. I wish the Kickstarter success, but I'm out.
totalfailure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:13 AM   #16
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalfailure View Post
. . . am not in a good financial spot for at least the short term.
No game is worth jeopardizing your financial safety. Do as you feel is best; we'll still be making games when your situation changes.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #17
ColBosch

I believe that SJ Games is using Kickstarter heavily for Ogre because: 1) Steve Jackson wants to make more and better Ogre games and accessories; 2) the mass market hasn't been very receptive to the line. By going directly to we core fans, SJ Games can cut out a lot of the middlemen and just concentrate on satisfying us (and SJ!), even if means low profits. As long as the employees are getting paid and the customers are happy, I don't think Steve is too terribly concerned that he might not be able to purchase a new Tesla every month. ;-)

So don't worry about missing some campaigns, and if you're tight on money, concentrate on yourself first. I've had to skip some projects because of low funds. But, the nice thing about living in these times is that there's always something to spend your money on...
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
Mack_JB

.. and should one miss the KS, things always eventually get sold on eBay. It might take some searching, but you can find it later.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
.. and should one miss the KS, things always eventually get sold on eBay. It might take some searching, but you can find it later.
And Phil is usually thoughtful enough to do "some" over-printing, even if it's just rounding out the lot...so there will be copies on W23 for at least a little while.

I feel you though, totalfailure...this has been a rough year financially. Not enough to put me at the point of 'I'm sorry guys, I'm out' (and my deepest sympathies there), but definitely at the point where I'm appreciating any breathers I get.

The biggest hit for me has to be changing social dynamics; my friends are at that point in their lives where they're too busy for, well, anything...even getting a D&D session, something that used to be every week and "Sorry, I can't, I have D&D that night" now takes months of planning and at least 3 postponements for "sorry, I have something that night". That's got me weaning back my hobby activity considerably; as cool as some of this stuff I've picked up is, I can't keep dropping chunks of change on games I'll get to play maybe once a year and four times total.

Ogre, Munchkin, and Car Wars won't have to worry about that for as long as I have the MIB program and the convention circuit, but it has claimed a few victims already.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #20
cephalopagus

Just got my too many minis today...now I've got a lot of explaining to my wife to do...oh well.
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote