Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #51
platimus

Default Re: New use for XP - Heroic Exploits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Good thing I'm resilient then because "failure is the fog from which we glimpse triumph".
;)
Who said you failed? Just because I don't like it doesn't mean anything. I'm just a weird simpleton. Others may love it. What matters is whether or not you like it.

On the other hand, that's the spirit! Go get'em, tiger! LOL
Old 12-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #52
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Who said you failed? Just because I don't like it doesn't mean anything. I'm just a weird simpleton. Others may love it. What matters is whether or not you like it.
Sorry, just being a bit self-deprecating while quoting movie lines. Perhaps the better response is to say that nothing can really improve without opposition and to that end, I genuinely appreciate criticisms of my ideas. It helps me make them better.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #53
platimus

Glad I could help! LOL
Old 12-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #54
TippetsTX

Quote:
Glad I could help! LOL
But of course, specific criticisms are more useful than vague ones. ;)

So setting aside the larger issue of using my Power concept to replace the Staff spells entirely, what specific changes to the individual 'tiers' can I work on?
Old 12-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #55
platimus

Quote:
But of course, specific criticisms are more useful than vague ones. ;)

So setting aside the larger issue of using my Power concept to replace the Staff spells entirely, what specific changes to the individual 'tiers' can I work on?
See ITL Staff spell descriptions. :)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #56
TippetsTX

Quote:
See ITL Staff spell descriptions. :)
You're killing me Smalls!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #57
TippetsTX

So anyway, moving on...

This next portfolio is one of the most critical i am creating for this whole Powers concept. I'm really hoping I can works the kinks out here since it will play a key role in the campaign I am developing.

Channeling Portfolio
Prerequisites: TBD (not sure it needs any TBH)
There are many forces of power in the universe. Two of the most influential are positive and negative energy; the opposing powers of life and anti-life. Sometimes referred to as ‘incarnum’, positive energy is seen by men of faith as divine or by others as simply the force generated by all living things. The character who selects the Powers from this portfolio has discovered that they have a link to this energy source and whether they believe their connection has been granted by a higher being or that they found it thru personal enlightenment or unlocking their chakras, the abilities they gain will be used in defense of life and to oppose creatures like the undead who draw upon its antithesis. Unlike spells, channeling these Powers does not require the character to draw upon their own ST since they are really just a conduit for the energy. Instead, the Powers will typically have a limited number of uses.

Tier 1 - Bestow Grace (500 XP):
Twice per day, the character may draw on positive energies to temporarily boost DX or restore ST lost to fatigue for themselves or another player by 1 point per Power tier they have acquired in this portfolio (i.e. a character w/ the tier 4 ability ‘Radiant Burst’ may add up to 4 DX). If granted to another player, the giver must be physically touching them. This enhancement only lasts for 3 turns.

Tier 2 - Heal/Fortify (1000 XP):
For each tier from the Channeling Portfolio that the character has, they may bestow 1 point of ST (or 2 points if it is from fatigue loss) per day to one or more characters including himself. For example, the channeler will initially have 2 ST to grant each day but if they advance all the way to the 5th tier they will be able to distribute up to 5 ST. The healing energy will cure ST already lost to disease and poison, but it will not cure the disease nor make a poison go away. As with Bestow Grace, if the ST is given to another player, the giver must be physically touching them.

There is also synergy between this Power and the talents for Physicker and Master Physicker. A character with these talents will have a greater understanding of the healing arts and will therefore be able to more effectively channel the energies from this Power to the wounds being treated. As a result, a character with Physicker has access to double the amount listed above for ST lost to injury only, not fatigue, and a Master Physicker will have triple.

Tier 3 - Smite (1500 XP):
The character with this Power has unlocked the ability to channel positive energy as a weapon against creatures that draw their strength from negative energy such as the undead (and demons in my campaign). Three times per day, they may target a single opponent and deliver Smite damage equal to 1d plus 1 for each Power tier they have (i.e. 1d+3 initially). This damage will bypass the armor or natural defense of its target, however, magical defenses such as Stone Flesh still apply. The charge can be delivered directly via touch or as bonus damage channeled thru the character's melee weapon on a successful hit. Additionally, a wizard with this Power can add Smite damage to their arcane staff strike or missile spells.

Tier 4 - Radiant Burst (2000 XP):
Once per day, the character can now deliver a burst of positive energy to every undead creature (or demon) in their hex or any hex directly adjacent to them. It has no effect against other creatures. Burst damage is 1d for each Power tier they have (i.e. 4d to start). No roll to hit is necessary, although intelligent foes in the blast radius may attempt to resist, taking half damage by making a successful adjDX roll.

As a secondary effect, the energy burst will paralyze unintelligent undead up to two hexes away from the character for 3 turns (assuming those closest are not immediately destroyed by the initial blast damage).

Tier 5 - Restoration (2500 XP):
Once per month, the character can use this Power to restore any dead creature back to life. Like the Revival spell, it cures all minor wounds and diseases and leaves its subject unconscious with a ST of 0. Unlike Revival, however, the window to perform this feat is up to 24 hours from the time of death (at the GM’s discretion, they might set the deadline to be something like “before the last light of the setting sun disappears into the night”). The restored character also suffers no permanent loss of their stats.

This Power can also be used to reverse the effects of magical aging and the corruption that results from exposure to necromantic forces.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-18-2018 at 01:53 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #58
TippetsTX

My daughter just made an interesting point... perhaps Restoration doesn't really fit in the theme of this portfolio after all, at least not how I have defined it. She made the argument that a restoration/revival/resurrection power breaks the cycle of life since death is a natural part of it. I'm not entirely convinced, though I can see the logic.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #59
warhorse11h

Quote:
My daughter just made an interesting point... perhaps Restoration doesn't really fit in the theme of this portfolio after all, at least not how I have defined it. She made the argument that a restoration/revival/resurrection power breaks the cycle of life since death is a natural part of it. I'm not entirely convinced, though I can see the logic.
Perhaps and then again, perhaps not. Methinks one would need to know the circumstances of the death. If he was 95 and ill or if he had led a misspent life and acquired some infectious disease then the circle of life is definitely at work. On the other hand, he took vows of poverty, chastity and sobriety and lived up to them and is merely dead because someone stuck a big sword through him, then you could argue his journey around the circle was untimely and restoration is merely that, restoring a life unjustly taken.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #60
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
Perhaps and then again, perhaps not. Methinks one would need to know the circumstances of the death. If he was 95 and ill or if he had led a misspent life and acquired some infectious disease then the circle of life is definitely at work. On the other hand, he took vows of poverty, chastity and sobriety and lived up to them and is merely dead because someone stuck a big sword through him, then you could argue his journey around the circle was untimely and restoration is merely that, restoring a life unjustly taken.
Maybe the solution, rather than trying to create another version of the Revival spell, would be to have Restoration only work on the "mostly dead" and not the "all dead".