Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Tinman

Default [RPM] & [MH] Lycanthropes & Paths

It says in MH-1 that to ward vs a Lycanthrope you need both path of mind & body.

My player, (who plays a witch) is telling me that for his detect spell, he should only need mind to detect a Lycanthrope.

Is there a cannon answer to that question?
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
tg_ambro

Default Re: [RPM] & [MH] Lycanthropes & Paths

I'd say it's fair to say he only needs path of body or mind to detect a werewolf. From what I understand, the use of both path of body is to keep the creature in wards is to keep the creature out physically. Seeing as undead and spirits are only governed by one path (because they're a "one and the same" sort of entity), while weres are dualistic beings, then I'd say if he wanted to detect a werwolf body (living or dead) then he should use Path of Body, or to detect a werewolf mind (usually only belonging to the living) I'd go with Path of Mind.

I'm kind of in a hurry, and in a break for my current session (also MH) so if my answer is rushed, ooops!

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
Stone Dog

It depends completely on the campaign world's metaphysical definition of a werewolf.

If it is just a human that can shapeshift then you only need mind. If it is a hybrid of man and wolf-spirit then you need spirit too. If it is a terrible curse laid down on a person than you may need to combo magic instead of spirit.

If it is a terrible curse laid down on a person forcing their soul to be grafted to a wolf-demon then you might need all THREE to get all the details or ward against it!
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
It says in MH-1 that to ward vs a Lycanthrope you need both path of mind & body.

My player, (who plays a witch) is telling me that for his detect spell, he should only need mind to detect a Lycanthrope.

No, there isn't a cannon answer to that question one way or the other.

If it were my campaign, I would allow it.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Yes there is, Silver Cannon Balls work wounders on Lycanthropes, inherited silver is the best.

as for Canon answers, no clue, ask the Rev. ;)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
PK

The need for Body+Mind is specific to warding. Basically, it's kind of weird to be able to ward off living beings -- and the only reason you even can do it is because it's a feature of their lycanthropy -- so it requires two paths because a ward affects the target both mentally and physically.

A detect spell doesn't have to do both. If you want a spell to detect when a lycanthropic mind is nearby, use Sense Mind. If you want to detect when a lycanthrope is physically present, use Sense Body. The two are subtly different, mind you -- but in practice, they'll have identical effects 99% of the time.

For example, if your player just uses Sense Mind, that's fine . . . but if a psionic werewolf (hey, it's your game, maybe they exist!) is nearby using Astral Projection, the spell will detect it, even if the were can't possible threaten you. Similarly, if a werebear has had its brain scooped out by a mad scientist and replaced with a computer, the spell wouldn't detect it. It's the little flavorful details that make things interesting, and should give the GM wicked ideas. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Genesis

My next game will now contain a were-bear that has had its brain replaced with a computer. BONUS: it will have glowing red eyes, and a little metal skullcap.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
ssveter

Wow, cyborg-were-bear aaaawwwsome
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote