Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #11
Agramer

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Getting the Wind Knocked Out of You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post

Plus, the vitals in particular are fairly well-protected by muscle, especially on fit people (Or even people well-trained in taking such blows).
Fighters in MA burst exhale when taking a hit...it has 2 effects:
1) muscles around solar plexus tighten even more
2) there is "nothing" to "pressure out" with blow
they do 3rd thing when receiving such blow
3) slightly "hop"(lift themselves) on their fingers(foot) w/o leaving ground to be pushed by kick instead smacked

Solar Plexus is "natural" target for forward direct kicks..aka "Front kick"

EDIT: above is reason why you never see it in pro fights,but is more common with untrained (or unsuspecting)people

Last edited by Agramer; 08-10-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
kenclary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
You have to keep in mind two things. First off, a stunning effect in GURPS is a blow hard enough to floor you
This is basically why I (still) suggest using the Pressure Points rules; from BS215, they can cause temporary suffocation.

While it is tempting to just make Pressure Points an Easy skill that doesn't require TBaM, and call it the archetypal playground bully skill, that solution is messy.

(This paragraph assumes the reader has read the expanded hit location rules in MA.) Perhaps have a target roll at HT-3 (or so) on _any_ hit to the vitals; if they fail, they take the suffocation effect. This could fit in well with existing rules for vitals hits. And you could add basic stunning risk for any attacks to the jaw or neck (or maybe just veins/arteries in the neck). And add temporary limb paralysis risk to crushing attacks to the joints or veins/arteries in the relevant limb...

...at which point I'd remove the Pressure Points skill entirely, and let Pressure Secrets cover remaining funky effects from over-the-top martial arts films.
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:33 AM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenclary View Post
While it is tempting to just make Pressure Points an Easy skill that doesn't require TBaM, and call it the archetypal playground bully skill, that solution is messy.
Or the playground bully has Unusual Training (Can use Pressure Points against untrained unsuspecting victims)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:15 AM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Or the playground bully has Unusual Training (Can use Pressure Points against untrained unsuspecting victims)
With a bonus for surprised foes.

I've only had the wind knocked out of my once. I fell from a two story barn directly onto my chest. I couldn't fully inhale for half an hour. I just calmly laid down on the couch until I recovered without any injury.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #15
kenclary

Quote:
So, a style perk (implying 10+ points in Bully-Fu before buying) and an IQ/Hard skill with no defaults. That's a lot of investment for the ability to give someone a good charlie horse ;)
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
Gigermann

I'm kinda thinking now that the best way to handle it would be, using the expanded hit location stuff from MA, add it to the possible effects of a torso vitals hit, maybe as a special effect of the usual Knockdown stuff.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenclary View Post
So, a style perk (implying 10+ points in Bully-Fu before buying) and an IQ/Hard skill with no defaults. That's a lot of investment for the ability to give someone a good charlie horse ;)
A 25 point bully gets one general perk, he could use that. As for the skill, that could explain the straight F's and complete lack of social skills.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
Icelander

Quote:
A 25 point bully gets one general perk, he could use that. As for the skill, that could explain the straight F's and complete lack of social skills.
Funny.

But it's really not hard to knock the wind out of a person who is not expecting the punch (and even those who do expect it generally are discomfitted enough for a few second that I'd count it as 'stunned' in GURPS).

For an unaware person, a moderately hard punch to the solar plexus will completely stun him for much longer than 1 second (about 10 seconds seems average, not that I'd ever do such a thing). A full-force one tends to induce retching or vomiting, both of which count as 'stunned' in GURPS and last for longer than the standard 1 second stun.

It's just far too hard to do this under the RAW.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
For an unaware person, a moderately hard punch to the solar plexus will completely stun him for much longer than 1 second (about 10 seconds seems average,<snip>.
Sounds like you need to go gather some data next time you're at the bar.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #20
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post

EDIT: above is reason why you never see it in pro fights,but is more common with untrained (or unsuspecting)people
I've seen it in a televised boxing match. 10 seconds into the 1st round, he goes down from a blow to the solar plexus, doesn't get his wind back in time for the 10 count. First K.O. from a body blow I'd ever seen, I can't remember the fighters (except that the winner was an Olympian in his first pro match) but it definitely made a lasting impression on me.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation, martial arts