Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #21
Mack_JB

Default Re: latest trend in original counters: no info, just image

And we forever thank you for doing so!

Met up with a local guy today who had posted a request to play face to face -- he hadn't played in (he said) 26 years. We got in three Ogre Mk III games ... all three times, the CP died, twice the Ogre died on the field, once it wiped the table clean. We had a blast.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #22
sparky00

I know I'm bucking a trend here, but I really do like the the ODE & O6E counters. I like their different shape & I love the colorful graphics on them. I also like the 3-D construct-able units, though i do color the edges of them.
Maybe its just because I re-discovered Ogre only a few months ago, and have recently acquired O6E, Reinforcements, a retail ODE, dice, all the sponsored counter sheets & a spare ODE box to keep them in, but I really like the current look of Ogre & its big, beautiful counters & maps. I'm really looking forward to what the Battlefields kickstarter will bring.
I have no problem with flat counters whatsoever, but I'm not a fan of vertical counters - to hard to see when there are many units on the board. I'd much prefer minis to vertical counters.
I do also like the original silhouette counters. They bring back great memories of Ogre battles in the late 70's & early 80's. Iconic is a good word for them, and i probably will end up getting the ODE-sized version of them at some point. Between having about 5 full ODE factions & the impending video version release, when I'll actually get to play a game with them is anybody's guess.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #23
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
I know I'm bucking a trend here, but I really do like the the ODE & O6E counters. I like their different shape & I love the colorful graphics on them. I also like the 3-D construct-able units, though i do color the edges of them.
Maybe its just because I re-discovered Ogre only a few months ago, and have recently acquired O6E, Reinforcements, a retail ODE, dice, all the sponsored counter sheets & a spare ODE box to keep them in, but I really like the current look of Ogre & its big, beautiful counters & maps. I'm really looking forward to what the Battlefields kickstarter will bring.
I have no problem with flat counters whatsoever, but I'm not a fan of vertical counters - to hard to see when there are many units on the board. I'd much prefer minis to vertical counters.
I do also like the original silhouette counters. They bring back great memories of Ogre battles in the late 70's & early 80's. Iconic is a good word for them, and i probably will end up getting the ODE-sized version of them at some point. Between having about 5 full ODE factions & the impending video version release, when I'll actually get to play a game with them is anybody's guess.
Sparky ole buddy ole pal I have never heard it said better. And yes I have a boatload of minis coming BUT the ODE ain't going anywhere because all of the player and pieces are there NOW, 'Nuff said
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #24
Mack_JB

I'll buck the trend the opposite direction. I have never even punched many of the 3D models, and may never. In fact, I've been considering selling the various ones I know I'll never use, like the Vulcan sheets, ACD, Uncommon Ogres, and all the 3D Ogres, etc.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #25
sparky00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I'll buck the trend the opposite direction. I have never even punched many of the 3D models, and may never. In fact, I've been considering selling the various ones I know I'll never use, like the Vulcan sheets, ACD, Uncommon Ogres, and all the 3D Ogres, etc.
Vulcans & Friends are the only sheets I have't gotten yet. If you're willing to part with them, maybe we can work something out.

What would you like for them? PM with details.

Thanks, erik krieger
sparky00
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #26
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Sparky ole buddy ole pal I have never heard it said better. And yes I have a boatload of minis coming BUT the ODE ain't going anywhere because all of the player and pieces are there NOW, 'Nuff said
An Ogre in the hand... something, something
Old 10-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #27
Knockman

Have to say I'm with Mack JB's comment above, never used the 3d models, they were made up and then promptly 'garaged' and stored away. I'd go one step further and say that with the hex-scale as it is, I think all Ogres should be single-hex counters too. But all that is entirely my preference.

I also really like the classic counters, a nostalgic reminder of not just Ogre in the early days, but of many military strategic/tactical games on a hex grid from the same era. The Symbol-Only counters could prove useful for some sort of game where recognition and targeting of enemy forces has been compromised perhaps? Or as 'blind' counters for reinforcement stacks entering table edge?

E-mail Contact: tiffingames@gmail.com

BGG Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee...ponsored-count

Update: 8th June 2018 - officially formatted S&TO Rules Version 3 now available on this website.
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #28
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockman View Post
I also really like the classic counters, a nostalgic reminder of not just Ogre in the early days, but of many military strategic/tactical games on a hex grid from the same era. The Symbol-Only counters could prove useful for some sort of game where recognition and targeting of enemy forces has been compromised perhaps? Or as 'blind' counters for reinforcement stacks entering table edge?
Does that mean an old-style silhouette book would be needed? :-)
Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #29
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Does that mean an old-style silhouette book would be needed? :-)
Didn't someone long ago come up with an OGRE Identification Sheet. A silhouette version of that would make and interesting poster(hint....stretch goal) with both a side and overhead look

Last edited by Misplaced Buckeye; 10-04-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: addtional info
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #30
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Didn't someone long ago come up with an OGRE Identification Sheet. A silhouette version of that would make and interesting poster(hint....stretch goal) with both a side and overhead look
Well, we know they have CAD models from promotional materials for the recent Ogre Miniatures products.

Project those isometrically along the axes and bang, silhouettes.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote