Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: 25mm Grenade Launchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Also note that UT battlesuits have Protected Vision and Hearing. This definitely stops the extra effects of explosions from HT and Tactical Shooting. It should probably reduce any other psychological effects.

Serious battlesuit training probaly live fires ineffective grenade rounds at the trainees. A battlesuit is _supposed_ to make you immune to the effects of light weapons such as HE grenades. Actally it's probably supposed to protect from relativley heavy weapons like IEDs.
Not being blinded and deafened by the flash, wave and and fragments is certainly nice, but I don't see how they will help against psychological effects. The battlesuit trooper still knows something suddenly makes a big boom. And it is not easily discernible in the fraction of a second when it happens whether this is a 25mm, a 40mm, an artillery shell, and what type of warhead beyond 'explosive'. It's still a potential deadly threat. You just don't know for sure. It's kinda like hiding behind a DR7 metal table when the enemy fires 1d+2 bullets - it might make you immune, or not.

Now, Enhanced Time Sense may help know some of those things in time . . .
Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
My players picked up a 25mm Grenade Launcher, whose stats I based off of the under-barrel grenade launcher listed in GURPS Ultra-Tech. Loaded with HE rounds, they are practically useless at damaging armored opponents; which are relatively frequent in my game.

They seem to be able to pin the enemy down. The explosion itself causes some knockback and conceivably forces some will checks, but only on a direct hit. The fragmentation damage also does nothing to an armored target and there's really no point in indirect fire except to make noise and maybe collateral damage.
25mm grenade launchers are a bit dubious to begin with, and totally inappropriate to lobbing HE at well-armored targets. They're really small payloads. Pass the HEAT or more exotic payloads, unless you're shooting at unprotected infantry.

25mm GL might be somewhat high velocity, I don't recall. What would you get if you loaded it with APEX? Not indirect fire, but could make a bit of an elephant gun out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
This is not the role I envisioned for GLs in my game. I rather figured that the GL would be used to frag the big, tough targets. Is there something I am missing in the stats of the weapon and how it does damage? How can I improve this without handing out shaped charge warheads and rpgs?
HE is fundamentally a bad way of attacking big, tough targets. In many video games it can work because 'tough' means 'lots of HP', but GURPS doesn't work like that. When hard targets are killed with HE, it's based on using seriously gratuitous amounts of explosive. 500 pound bombs or IEDs, not warheads for man-portable weapons.

If you really want to use concussive attacks against armor, contrary to effective practice, a 40mm launcher with thermobaric warheads is at least a step in the right direction. IIRC that will defeat some weaker armor. 64mm thermobarics are actually a threat to power armor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Not being blinded and deafened by the flash, wave and and fragments is certainly nice, but I don't see how they will help against psychological effects. The battlesuit trooper still knows something suddenly makes a big boom. And it is not easily discernible in the fraction of a second when it happens whether this is a 25mm, a 40mm, an artillery shell, and what type of warhead beyond 'explosive'. It's still a potential deadly threat. You just don't know for sure. It's kinda like hiding behind a DR7 metal table when the enemy fires 1d+2 bullets - it might make you immune, or not.
You're going to have a completely different physical experience from people not so protected. All that armor means that your senses and general physiology aren't traumatized. It also means that your body isn't crushed, burned, or shredded, which you're probably aware of.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 02-03-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Next time give a real grenade launcher, 40mm+, so, the ammo will be heavier, more expensive, rarer as well as stronger, and then, they will not use it in mooks.
Yes. 25mm sounds tiny. Maybe it'll be useful for lobbing specialty rounds, such as flash-bangs, concussion or various forms of gas?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

One thing you could do is stat up a 25mm ramjet round. A thin outer shell carries a propellant molded around a penetrator with an airspace for combustion. It is fired at a a high enough velocity to sustain ramjet combustion and continues to accelerate until burn out. Good only in atmospheres with enough O2 to support combustion. Do the math or make a judgment call on damage. You should be able to get an armor divisor out of it.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Next time give a real grenade launcher, 40mm+, so, the ammo will be heavier, more expensive, rarer as well as stronger, and then, they will not use it in mooks.
HE grenades are primarily for using on 'mooks'. 40mm HE is more useful than 25mm but still not much good against TL9 hard targets.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post

HE is fundamentally a bad way of attacking big, tough targets. In many video games it can work because 'tough' means 'lots of HP', but GURPS doesn't work like that.
This sums it up best.

First, real-world weapons of this kind are optimized for attacking many soft and typically concealed targets over a small area, and not for striking a single hard target dead-on. A grenade launcher is basically a low-powered, big-bore shotgun capable of lobbing small gobs of explosive a lot farther than you could throw them. It isn't a proper anti-armor weapon! A 25mm or 40mm weapon powerful enough to defeat armor kinetically would smash the person firing it. A man-portable weapon powerful enough to defeat armor explosively would need to be larger than 25mm or 40mm; that's why RPGs have 80-150mm over-caliber warheads.

Second, video games ignore all this in favor of the Rule of Cool: Of course you use the biggest-bore gun that you have against the toughest bad guy! Of course a projectile that goes BOOM is better for this than one that doesn't! Video games also regularly conflate grenade lauchers with rocket launchers (which are good for fighting hard targets), up to and including in the character dialog. Video games and action movies make crappy reference points for real-world armaments.

Realistic options are to make the mooks soft targets, so that a single fragment or a few HP of concussion will demoralize or incapacitate them, or to issue a weapon built to fight hard targets. The latter is realistically a recoilless or rocket-propelled projectile launcher, although some fancy grenade-launcher rounds might suffice, if barely.

Cinematic options are to make "hard" mooks softer by swapping out DR for HP, or to issue some sort of science-fictional ammo that can reliably defeat DR from a low-powered 25mm barrel. Just going to high-velocity 25mm cannon rounds and ignoring recoil would be a start.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
Kraydak

One thing is that, if UT explosives are useless against common armor, then the militaries will tweak them to become useful, or not issue them at all. It would be nice to have rules for increasing the number of fragments (at the expense of fragment damage, to increase the chance of getting a hit on an un/underarmored location) or increasing fragment damage (at the expense of fragment number).
Kraydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The bad assumption is "common armor." Armor has existed for as long as there has been warfare. It has always been the preserve of the wealthy individual (knight, samurai, whatever) or the rich nation. For everybody else, there's prayer and fate. This hasn't changed from TL1 to TL8, and I doubt that TL9+ will change this unless you posit a post-scarcity world for all, in which case why are people fighting wars? So in a TL9+ world with warfare, most targets will remain ill-equipped, unarmored conscripts, ill-equipped, unarmored guerrillas, and ill-equipped, unarmored Third World professionals. That's why HE won't go out of style in infantry weapons. When the rich kids fight each other, though, they'll have armor, and thus use armor-piercing weapons rather than peasant-killer weapons . . . just like knights did.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The bad assumption is "common armor." Armor has existed for as long as there has been warfare. It has always been the preserve of the wealthy individual (knight, samurai, whatever) or the rich nation. For everybody else, there's prayer and fate. This hasn't changed from TL1 to TL8, and I doubt that TL9+ will change this unless you posit a post-scarcity world for all, in which case why are people fighting wars? So in a TL9+ world with warfare, most targets will remain ill-equipped, unarmored conscripts, ill-equipped, unarmored guerrillas, and ill-equipped, unarmored Third World professionals. That's why HE won't go out of style in infantry weapons. When the rich kids fight each other, though, they'll have armor, and thus use armor-piercing weapons rather than peasant-killer weapons . . . just like knights did.
According to UT, Typical Armor by TL:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT186
TL9
Civilian and Police: Reflex jacket, trousers, vest or
tailored armor. For spacers, a civilian vacc suit or zero-G worksuit.
Light Infantry or Paramilitary: Reflex tactical suit {DR 20/10, flexible} or
vest; light infantry helmet { DR 18 }.
Mechanized Infantry or SWAT: Combat hardsuit {DR 50/30, hard, sealed} (or
space armor), or powered combat armor.
Heavy Powered Infantry: Combat walker {duh}.
Braces include added DR for convenience.
The Reflex Tacsuit, which is the typical (i.e. neither the élite nor junk, I assume) armour of paramilitary and light infantry units, provides DR10 against Crushing damage, stopping 3 out of 4 dice that grenades do. That's for the same-hex hit, though admittedly not counting any peculiarities of different armour levels across the body. That's with light infantry and paramilitary types. Even with SWAT-level armour, we get enough DR to survive (but of course not ignore) a direct hit. And Heavies, indeed, are to be fought exclusively with AP weapons like Shaped Charges.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
lexington

I really doubt something called the "thimble grenade" is going to see general use on the front line of many armies, it seems more like a special ops weapon. Combatants should be worried about 40mm grenades doing 8d[2d] crex. If one of those lands in your hex while you're wearing a full tacsuit you're out of the fight.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grenades, rules, rules clarification, ultra tech, ultra-tech, weapon