Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
FirePuff

Default Mid-Combat Discards?

So, we had a bit of an argument last night with a game of Star Munchkin regarding when cards get discarded during a combat (if they can). As well, I searched but I couldn't find anything, even if it might have been right in front of my face. ^^;

This is the scenario that happened:
  • Open the door and on the other side is a monster.
  • Another player plays Paradox in a Box, and the monster is now theirs.
  • First player plays Plot Device and claims the used Paradox in a Box, returning the monster to them.

Because Paradox in a Box' action is now done (unlike other 1 time use modifiers), was it to be considered discarded after the monster changed hands, or is it discarded at the end of combat, making the above move illegal?
FirePuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Mid-Combat Discards?

Discards are not done until the combat is finished.
I do not believe the Paradox in a Box would be discarded until the combat is done.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
d-vils_wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePuff View Post
So, we had a bit of an argument last night with a game of Star Munchkin regarding when cards get discarded during a combat (if they can). As well, I searched but I couldn't find anything, even if it might have been right in front of my face. ^^;

This is the scenario that happened:
  • Open the door and on the other side is a monster.
  • Another player plays Paradox in a Box, and the monster is now theirs.
  • First player plays Plot Device and claims the used Paradox in a Box, returning the monster to them.

Because Paradox in a Box' action is now done (unlike other 1 time use modifiers), was it to be considered discarded after the monster changed hands, or is it discarded at the end of combat, making the above move illegal?
First off, because Paradox in a Box was played, it is now the turn and combat of the chosen player. Because the original player's turn ended, Paradox in a Box goes to the discards, specifically the bottom of them. Plot Device works as you described.
Cards played on a combat are discarded after the combat, not during. Even though it is the same monster, there are multiple combats in the scenario you described. I'm pretty sure the most recent Paradox in a Box takes precedence and play should continue after the turn of the last person to fight the monster ends. The monster didn't change hands. The first player's turn ended altogether because of Paradox in a Box, as it says on the card. Then the second player's turn ended when the first player played Plot Device. It is then, once more and with the same monster, the first player's turn in this case.
I'm not sure, but I don't think monster enhancers are transferable along with the monster in the case of Paradox in a Box or if the shift is so immediate there was never any time to enhance it to begin with.
On a side note, there are cards that can be discarded during combat, and those are cards like Races, Classes, Powers, Hirelings, etc. as well as cards that power combat abilities, like the Thief's Backstab ability.
d-vils_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Brf

But the first player's turn does not actually "end" when Paradox in a Box is played. The turn is transferred to the other player, as if that player were the one who kicked the door open. The question is whether the Paradox in a Box card is supposed to be discarded. If it is like any other "modifier", it should stay on the table until the combat is finished.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
d-vils_wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
But the first player's turn does not actually "end" when Paradox in a Box is played. The turn is transferred to the other player, as if that player were the one who kicked the door open. The question is whether the Paradox in a Box card is supposed to be discarded. If it is like any other "modifier", it should stay on the table until the combat is finished.
The reason I don't go with that theory is that Paradox targets the player's Door Kick and doesn't strictly target combat. It shifts any Door Kick to another player. Its effect is instant and resolved instantly, even if it was a combat. I would argue that since it was played on another's turn before it ended, it is discarded as the new player's "kick" happens and an eligible target of Plot Device.
I'm interested in the official resolution, too. I apologize if I'm completely wrong and confusing anyone reading this.
d-vils_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Brf

Read this topic:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...hlight=paradox
It indicates that the entire turn is moved.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

The card's effect is applied and discarded, easy peasy.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
Brf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
The card's effect is applied and discarded, easy peasy.
So back to the original question. If Paradox in a Box is immediately discarded, it appears it is perfectly valid for the first player to use Plot Device to claim it from the discards and move the turn back to himself.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

No, because that requires an action to occur between the kicking down of the door and the playing of the card. If you have to play a card to get a different card to play it, then an event that "just happened" before you played the first card no longer "just happened."
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discards, rules, rules clarification, star munchkin