Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #601
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

Railways and water transport are very location specific. Widespread roads are the only real competition for hypothetical unrestricted flight paths.

Navies can have vehicles orders of magnitude larger than any flying vehicle. Militaries have a thing about size and mobile weapons' platforms.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #602
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Railways and water transport are very location specific. Widespread roads are the only real competition for hypothetical unrestricted flight paths.
Having seen more ships load and unload without docks than with them in the Northwest Passage, I have to ask you to expand upon that statement. I'm obviously not understanding what you're saying.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #603
Flyndaran
Untagged

My point is that "If the sky is the best, cheapest, and safest, highway, what functions as a natural barrier?" is what our present already is.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #604
Astromancer

Quote:
My point is that "If the sky is the best, cheapest, and safest, highway, what functions as a natural barrier?" is what our present already is.
And my counterpoint was "No, air travel is quickest, but ground and sea are still vital, practical, irreplaceable." Major ports remain vital to commerce because water based transport is far cheaper than flight and in most ways just as reliable.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #605
Flyndaran
Untagged

Vital to infrastructure, sure. I never said boats don't exist.
Could we step back and you describe the world line more?
How are they making crashes and vehicle damage so far less likely than us?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #606
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Path/Book Magic does not use or depend on mana, at least under the default rules. Even energy accumulation uses a separate form of energy than mana, so it can hypothetically work in no mana worlds, depending on the assumptions of the setting. As far as I know, Homeline/Centrum depends on physical observations to detect magical, psychic, or other supernatural abilities.
To be fair, Path/Book does crop up in a few other places in Infinite Worlds; once in Thaumatology: Age of Gold, where mana is just set at normal globally, and in Taft-1 where it represents sufficently advanced technology.

I suppose Jomon-1 could be default style Path/Book, but that could create problems with other parallels, unless you specify that it's something esoteric and specific to this parallel.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #607
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Path/Book Magic does not use or depend on mana, at least under the default rules.
That's a GM call, really; see, for example, GURPS Thaumatology, p. 126. With regard to Infinity - I think that there's a line somewhere in Infinite Worlds heavily hinting that some timelines have a sort of quasi-aspected mana that makes ritualistic magic work while spell-magic doesn't.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #608
Flyndaran
Untagged

What works in a particular reality is always up for GM determination.
If basic artificial electricity fails in one world, why is it hard to imagine that some form of magic fails to work outside of certain regions within a world?
If you want, you could instead think of the null zones as anti-magic rather than lacking a necessary "mana".
Old 11-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #609
Astromancer

Quote:
Vital to infrastructure, sure. I never said boats don't exist.
Could we step back and you describe the world line more?
How are they making crashes and vehicle damage so far less likely than us?
First off this world has cheap antigravity through alchemy and has had such since the 1500s. At first the effect was seen as a toy, but soon navies started to use the benefits. Britain and the Netherlands, pioneers in flight, were regularly sailing over Europe and West Asia to trade with India and China.

In the late 17th century a British fleet sailed through the skies and bombared Paris and Versailles. Forcing the shocked French to both surrender and invest in alchemical flight. The 18th century saw the exploration of the interiors of the continents and the first trips to the Moon.

Transport barriers and limits we still face disappear on this world before 1800.

Note vehicles float in the air, sure they sometimes crash, but it is only about as common as submarine crashes.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #610
Jasonft

Over a century and nobody built flying warships? That might be the one unbelievable thing about this world. Someone will *always* take the newest thing and try to make a weapon out of it.

Just how long was it from Kittyhawk to the Red Baron? Less than twenty years.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, weird worlds