Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 06-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
eagle3y3

Default Questions about last game I played?

Hi I'm fairly new to munchkins although I got a couple games under my belt. I have a couple of noob questions that happened to me last game where none of my friends knew the real answer.

Munchkinomicon and Fairy Dust poses a real problem for us. My friends play the strategy of hoarding all cards until someone reaches level 9 and sacrificing levels in order to stock up on spells. Since I'm the only one in the group (our group ranges from 4-6) who doesn't like that strategy I tend to go for the class thief. I was doing fine with plenty of loaded dice and the other dice card (can't remember) at my disposal with lots of gear and doppleganger also a bunch of those mini bonuses. Then on my turn I was level 7 and there was a dragon card( provided 2 levels and 5 treasures). For some odd reason they all decided to gang up on me and threw high level wandering monsters (10,15,16) at me with the addition of monster enhancers. Somehow I end up victorious. I declared I have won, but the guy who introduced us to munchkin says no I did not (he hates losing and has bent the rules sometimes due to our ignorance), I only go up 2 levels and get 7 treasures (from the monster enhancers they added to to the dragon) cause wandering monster only adds to combat. The game was prolonged until I was up to win again. This time my friend plays all the spells he's hoarded up on the table and some fairy dust cards to take away my monster (I forgot what the spell was called) after he and the rest of my group failed to stop me. Someone else shortly wins cause everyone used their cards on me. I would be perfectly fine with the lost if I knew some quick questions.

Are spell cards classified as items? If not, do you have to keep them in your hand? Can thieves steal spells if they are items?

Do you get treasures AND levels for defeating each monster in combat?

There are some items in the conan deck that doesnt have gold value nor doesnt say "No value" (such as a card that makes you escape anything) as a thief can I still steal those items?

These are the expansions we played with:
Munchkins (original)
Conan
Game Changers
eagle3y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Questions about last game I played?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle3y3 View Post
Are spell cards classified as items?
No. They must be kept in the hand until used.

Quote:
Do you get treasures AND levels for defeating each monster in combat?
You get Treasures and levels for every monster you kill. "Defeat" is any method of ending combat, not just killing, that doesn't force you to Run Away; some of these methods grant Treasures, while others don't.

Quote:
There are some items in the conan deck that doesnt have gold value nor doesnt say "No value" (such as a card that makes you escape anything) as a thief can I still steal those items?
No, because they aren't Items as defined in the rules.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Blazinjsin

If you won the dragon combat in your example by killing all 4 monsters, then you won that game. You and your friend may want to peruse the rules together in a little more detail to make sure there are less "uncertainties"

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Clipper

Also note that you are limited to five cards in your hand at the end of every one of your turns, having to give the excess away to the lowest-Level player as Charity or discarding the excess if you are lowest, so it is impossible to hoard more than five cards between turns, be they Doors, Treasure, Spells or Fairy Dust.

The only things you can play to the table to avoid Charity is Items and character-based things like Race and Class (only one of each under normal circumstances). None of the Spells could ever be played to the table, so no player could ever be hoarding more than five Spells at a time after their turn.

Last edited by Clipper; 06-30-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
DoomedDuck

Sorry Clipper, but you're wrong about the Fairy Dust cards not counting against your hand limit.

From the Fairy Dust rules:
Quote:
FD cards in your hand count toward your hand size, just like any other
cards.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomedDuck View Post
Sorry Clipper, but you're wrong about the Fairy Dust cards not counting against your hand limit.

Thank you very much for catching that. I knew there was something different about these cards and I was somehow certain in my mind that it had to do with Charity, but I just remembered that it's that you keep them when you die, instead. I've fixed the above post.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Blazinjsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomedDuck View Post

Also some of those actually are items that can be played to the table. Although if they were being as spiteful as it sounds like, then I'm not sure how they were getting them.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote