Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: Pyramid #3/36: Dungeon Fantasy

I really liked this issue. I always wanted clerical magic to feel different than wizardly magic. Now in my games it will!

And of course, explosives.

Imbuements too! Anywho. Great issue.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Refplace

My Review, all good.
Demolishers do a nice job of adding something new but not overwhelming and I like the safety features to keep it away from other Delvers. Damage seems a bit weak but still useful, especially area and blowing things open or up.

Dungeon Saints I liked. Nice new prayers which I wanted and i LOVE "Guide My Hand". So video gamish :) I also love the mace, which should be added to Monster Hunters.

The Horrific Dungeon, couple of good tips, while I think I have used or seen at least most of them they were still good for a refresher. However what really made the article was the way it was written. I really enjoyed reading it.

Powering up Imbuements, gold for those using DF and who like Imbuements since you have all the ready made templates and lenses. Not so good for the rest of us but still nice to see references to other power sources and it might inspire more sales for Power Ups. I did like and am adding to my Merfolk a martial art including the new imbuement though :)
That will give them a nice edge.

Historical dungeon was another good read.
The random idea is simple and effiecent and the article was good inspiration without overdoing things to much.

All Charged up over magic Items is quick and clean and a nice niche and shows how one can already do many things with the RAW and a little imagination or ingenuity.

Random Thought Table and Odds and Ends were good too, though I laughed and enjoyed some of the odds and Ends. really should try some of those ideas sometime...
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I quite like it!

However, one thing . . . . how to combine disposable and rechargeable spellstones?

I like the normal 'one shot its gone' spellstones, but I also like the cool new rechargeable item ones to!

Any ideas how to combine these two cool things in same game?
Use the options making them different spells and the multicharge one more rare.
Also even with a charged item available the one shot is cheaper so still seems a viable option for those on a budget or spells you think you will rarely need.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
b-dog

Here is my review so far

The Demolisher: This was interesting but I am not sure if I will allow explosives in my game but that being said I do like the idea of this being a template for dwarves. I would love if they had a regular dwarf template just like old school D&D. Dwarves would seem to fit better as a mix of many templates such as Knight for fighting, Scout for underground exploration and Artificer for some others. So the Demolisher makes me hope there might be a possible standard dwarf template and maybe even one for an elf, orc and halfling as well.

Dungeon Saints:I really liked this article and it will be of a lot of use because I think this seems more like the way faith magic should work and it also makes the cleric er saint different from the wizard.

Eidetic Memory: I liked this one a lot because I like horror and I also like to mix in some pseudo historical stuff in my games as well. I would have like to have seen some horror tips for higher level PCs as well though.

Powering-Up: Imbuements: This article was good and might be of some use in my campaign.

Historically Rich Dungeons I really liked this article because having a long history about how the dungeons came into being makes the game more interesting. Finding out why the dungeon is there is is very fun and this article gives some good ideas. I always try to have some long history behind my dungeons and tend to use an ancient race of dinosaurmen who lived long before humans came into being and the elves, dwarves, halflings and orcs came into the world. In any case a lot of the fun of a dungeon to me is for there to be some way to excavate it's long lost secrets.

All Charged Up Over Magic Items: Useful idea for old school wands of fireball with 23 charges...
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Here is my review so far

Eidetic Memory: I liked this one a lot because I like horror and I also like to mix in some pseudo historical stuff in my games as well. I would have like to have seen some horror tips for higher level PCs as well though.
A lot of those tips apply equally well to higher powered PCs.
Higher powered pcs are harder to scare but almost every trick and tip he mentioned is designed to add atmosphere and will help.
Additional things I have done that only work in gaming table type scenarios are darken the room and play eerie music. Also a remote control noise maker like a switch that you turn it on and it goes Booo or cackles. Motion detector for halloween can add atmosphere and make people jump. Dont over use it though.

The big things are taking away things they rely on which is why that secret roll thing he talked about works. It adds uncertainty no matter what your power level. Also take away magic using a antimagic area or a monster it just doesnt work on or with high magic resistance. Your Eldtrich horrors are a classic for that.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #16
panton41

Kuroshima has been hinting about "DF4DF" with me over Yahoo for months now. I'm glad I finally see what exactly it is.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 AM   #17
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
That said, I always felt Pyramid was done an injustice with the lack of a haiku.
One step closer to Steam Punk cinquains...
Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #18
Greg 1

A Pyramid devoted to DF?

I can't wait to read this Pyramid! :D :D :D
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #19
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
A Pyramid devoted to DF?
It's about time!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #20
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Demolishers
Dungeon Saints
The Horrific Dungeon
Powering up Imbuements
Historical dungeon
All Charged up over magic Items
Random Thought Table and Odds and Ends
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
The Demolisher
Dungeon Saints
Eidetic Memory
Powering-Up: Imbuements
Historically Rich Dungeons
All Charged Up Over Magic Items
To sum up: "The Musketeer" was spectacularly unmemorable.

(To be fair, the rest of the issue is really, really good.)

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
divine favor, dungeon fantasy, pyramid 3/36, pyramid issues