Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
meregeeks

Default Inspired Creation cost

What is the cost and when is the cost needed?

It seems to be a pay as you go, so cost of 5FP per day. BUT it also has in the description a 10FP and 5HP cost. Is that last larger cost at the end of the process perhaps?

I can not find anyone who explains it, only people who banned it from their games. :/
meregeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Inspired Creation cost

Personally? I'd say the extra HP/FP burn comes when you finish the product. After all, it's not really a cost if you can take a nap immediately after!

If you want to rationalize it, it's all the excitement and rushed tinkering (and mashed thumbs) during the last few hours of the build.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
kirbwarrior

It costs you (the caster) 5 energy per day. This is the actual spell. At the end of the process (which can take anywhere from a minute to a decade or more), the subject loses 5HP and 10FP.

The slight thing that confuses me is if the caster can be the subject. I thought it would, but both the 'TIme to Cast' (being the entire time it's being made) and the 'Duration' (Permanent instead of Instantaneous) make it sound like you are casting a spell the entire time.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meregeeks View Post
What is the cost and when is the cost needed?

It seems to be a pay as you go, so cost of 5FP per day. BUT it also has in the description a 10FP and 5HP cost. Is that last larger cost at the end of the process perhaps?

I can not find anyone who explains it, only people who banned it from their games. :/
This is one of the semi-broken spells that really ought to have been fixed with the edition update.

Duration should be Instant, since it's pretty clearly intended to improve your crafting skill - i.e. once the object is created it's not magical, and its quality doesn't go away if you dispel it. Cost is 10 FP plus 5 HP at the end, plus 5 FP for every day you spend making the item, which might be charged each day (I'd go with that) or at the end as well (which would mean the spell was pretty useless for making anything that requires more than a couple days), the authorial intent could have been either. Casting time likewise might be intended to work like Enchantment (the more useful choice), or it might be you have to work on the item continuously to the exclusion of anything else (which again makes it useless for anything that takes very long unless you don't need to eat or sleep).

GM choice I guess. Or rewrite the spell however you like, it's not like the official verison, whatever that was supposed to be, shows any signs that would suggest it is better balanced than a house ruled spell vaguely similar to it. Personally I think I might change the cost to a flat 10 FP (and make the spell skill roll) when you *start* the project. If that works, the project stays slightly magical until you finish it, however long that takes, whereupon you pay 1 character point and get an automatic critical success - making it essentially a cheaper form of buying success, thanks to your spell and pre-planning.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
it might be you have to work on the item continuously to the exclusion of anything else (which again makes it useless for anything that takes very long unless you don't need to eat or sleep).
Though this has possibilities as well. Perhaps the artisan is seized by divine (or other) possession and really does work exclusively on the item, heedless of anything but the project, neglecting to eat or sleep -- and accumulating fatigue and starvation penalties accordingly, which helps explain the HP/FP loss. This sort of creation could be risky.

Progress would be three times faster than normal, if crafting times are calculated based on an 8-hour day.

A kinder version would allow caretakers for the artisan.

There's an event very much like this in the computer game Dwarf Fortress.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost, inspired creation, spell