Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
alphacentaurus

Default GURPS 3rd WWII for 4th edition games?

Hi,
since there is no 4th edition books on WWII can I use the info and rules of the 3rd edition?

I imagine that certain rules on vehicles or character templates must be adapted

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: GURPS 3rd WWII for 4th edition games?

There's an official PDF for 3e to 4e conversion of characters, which may be somewhat helpful though it doesn't directly address converting non-character vehicles.

You'll definitely need to re-calculate HP for proper 4e stats. For a powered vehicle, 4e HP should be 4 times the cube root of weight in pounds, as noted in Campaigns. GURPS 3e, I gather, did something different there.

Also, I've heard that the GUPRS 3e WWII vehicles were assigned DR different from the standard conversion of their protection. I don't know what you'd do with that.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
borithan

High Tech has most of the small arms required. Using those converting the rest shouldn't be too difficult. High tech also has a Sherman and I think a Panzer 4, which for the purposes of North West Europe 1944 is all you really need, and gives further guidance if you were looking to do a conversion (ie, ok, a Sherman looks like this in 3e and this in 4e, so maybe a t-34 should look like this in 4e).
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

There are unofficial, but good, conversions of all the character templates here.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
borithan

Having had a look at both, unfortunately the Sherman provided in High Tech is the 76mm armed one, which is an occasional feature early in Normandy, but only becomes common later on (perfect for Battle of the Bulge for example). It has heavier armour and a better gun than the "standard" Sherman would get (And if the Panzer 4 gets explosive the standard Ronson should certainly get it). The Panzer 4, however, remains perfect for any late war scenario with German armour in it.

Looked at Gurps WW2 more carefully... it would be quite a job converting the vehicles (the templates I don't see as being nearly as troublesome). DR is higher in WW2, while tank guns seem to do slightly less damage (small arms seem to be pretty much identical). The write ups also include a lot of extraneous information if all you are using is the 4e basic vehicle rules. It goes on about sub-assemblies, engine power etc (think it has a stripped down version of the 3e vehicle creation rules).

Last edited by borithan; 08-19-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan View Post
Looked at Gurps WW2 more carefully... it would be quite a job converting the vehicles (the templates I don't see as being nearly as troublesome). DR is higher in WW2, while tank guns seem to do slightly less damage (small arms seem to be pretty much identical). The write ups also include a lot of extraneous information if all you are using is the 4e basic vehicle rules. It goes on about sub-assemblies, engine power etc (think it has a stripped down version of the 3e vehicle creation rules).
It is not that hard... trust me. Well not that hard if you just write your own spreadsheet, work out a forumla for one example and then just take the stats from oh... say real life or even just a range of accurate games.

Only prob is it is a lot of work to research everything else, but the stats, no prob.

If there is ever a WW2 issue of Pyramid I will certainly be proposing an article to convert vehicles left right and centre.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 AM   #7
alphacentaurus

Thanks for the info everybody!

I would like to run a game where Canadians Paratroopers land behind German line prior to D-Day, like the US 101st Airborne did.

Since there is no GURPS Vehicle yet Y think the best option is to adapt those from 3rd.

Anyway I think the book should provide me with good info on the troops and Army formation. Thanks

Last edited by alphacentaurus; 08-19-2011 at 04:45 AM.
alphacentaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:13 AM   #8
borithan

Truthfully for formations etc I suspect the nationality specific supplements would probably be better. The main rulebook (from what I remember) only gives a very brief overview, which are often very generalised (there is only so much that can fit in the book).

On unit formations a useful resource is the Bayonet Strength website (just put "bayonet strength" into google). Gives guidance on the theoretical make up of many typical formations from all the major combatants, often even down to section (squad) level. Canadian Paratroopers would almost certainly be organised on a similar line to the British Parachute units.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
alphacentaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan View Post
Truthfully for formations etc I suspect the nationality specific supplements would probably be better. The main rulebook (from what I remember) only gives a very brief overview, which are often very generalised (there is only so much that can fit in the book).

On unit formations a useful resource is the Bayonet Strength website (just put "bayonet strength" into google). Gives guidance on the theoretical make up of many typical formations from all the major combatants, often even down to section (squad) level. Canadian Paratroopers would almost certainly be organised on a similar line to the British Parachute units.
thanks for the info i'll go check the site.

Tags
wwii