Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #41
BaHalus

Default Re: Armor bought as Damage Resistance Advantage

Ok, here comes:
Soul Armor, RD 15, Basic cost 75

Hardened +20% (Reduces armor divisor by one level)

Weakned without preparation -20% (10 minute in knees praying for his guardian angel for protection, or the last turn of fading won't appear)

Fade -10% (5 seconds to full manifestation after activation. 0 RD in the turn of the activation, 1 RD in the 2nd turn, 3 RD in the 3rd turn, 7 RD in the 4th turn, full manifestation in the 5th turn. It has a ghostly appearance until the 3rd turn)

Temporary disadvantage -20% (-1 to Basic Speed since the armour is activated)

Can't Wear Armour -40% (It is already an armor, you can't wear a second armor together)

Nuisance Effect -10% (-2 reaction to anyone seeing the armor activation -The ghostly effect is a little bit scaring. After thar, -4 reaction in any situation in which a ful plate armor would cause a -4 reaction penalty)

Perk: Can use non protective clothes +1

Final cost: 75 -80% = 15+1 = 16

What do you think?
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #42
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
Well, the Basic Set at page 286 says at Reaction penalty topic:
plate armor and a full helm would give you -4!

So, I put this limitation in the armour.
Instead of making it a Limitation on the power, I think the power should be specified to be visible. Let any appropriate reaction modifiers accrue in play on a situational basis.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #43
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Instead of making it a Limitation on the power, I think the power should be specified to be visible. Let any appropriate reaction modifiers accrue in play on a situational basis.
The -10% "visible" limitation could apply here?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #44
Figleaf23
Banned

I may be mistaken, but I thought DR is not visible by default. If that is correct, then being visible is a limitation. If I'm mistaken, then there is no deduction for the fact it's visible.

Either way though, if the reaction modifier you are attempting to model is the one in Basic Set that applies to the context of wearing armour in social settings, then it's not a property of the power and so need not be built into it.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #45
BaHalus

Quote:
I may be mistaken, but I thought DR is not visible by default. If that is correct, then being visible is a limitation. If I'm mistaken, then there is no deduction for the fact it's visible.

Either way though, if the reaction modifier you are attempting to model is the one in Basic Set that applies to the context of wearing armour in social settings, then it's not a property of the power and so need not be built into it.
Well, I don't know, but force fields, though skin and natural carapaces don't seem to automatically trigger this reaction penalty.

And also, most examples, except the force field, are visible. I don't know, but I think though skin is a visible feature. And so are the natural armors. A force field may or may not be visible.

I really thought about taking this limitation to say that this is "REALLY" visible.

The difference between an natural RD and an armor is that you wear the armor by free will, so, if you wear it, it means that you are seeking or expecting trouble and that is what causes the reaction penalty.

I don't think a person with though skin or a humanoid turtle would have this automatic reaction penalty (They can take an reaction penalty for being ugly, but this is not inherent in the power itself, and is not the same kind of reaction penalty).

It is not the appearance of the armor that matters, is the fact that you are using an armor.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #46
Dinadon

Quote:

How DR looks is a feature. Whether people think you are wearing armor is a feature. Note that I said I armor not DR for the second one. DR is something generic, people react to you wearing armor.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #47
vitruvian

Quote:
Well, the Basic Set at page 286 says at Reaction penalty topic:
plate armor and a full helm would give you -4!
That seems very situational. I wouldn't think that in a context where people are supposed to be wearing full plate, like a tourney or preparing to fight in a battle on the same side, or even trying to get potential foes to negotiate or flee instead of attacking, they are going to be reacting so negatively to the plate all the time. Although if that's really the case, it explains why every single encounter between armored knights that don't already know each other in Le Morte d'Arthur starts off with a melee...
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #48
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
How DR looks is a feature. Whether people think you are wearing armor is a feature. Note that I said I armor not DR for the second one. DR is something generic, people react to you wearing armor.
Then if the DR causes a similar reaction modifier, it's worth the Nuisance Effect rather than being considered a feature, because it's a real negative effect limiting the usage of the ability.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #49
vitruvian

Quote:
Ok, here comes:
Soul Armor, RD 15, Basic cost 75

Hardened +20% (Reduces armor divisor by one level)

Weakned without preparation -20% (10 minute in knees praying for his guardian angel for protection, or the last turn of fading won't appear)
Each and every time it's summoned and fades in?

Quote:
Fade -10% (5 seconds to full manifestation after activation. 0 RD in the turn of the activation, 1 RD in the 2nd turn, 3 RD in the 3rd turn, 7 RD in the 4th turn, full manifestation in the 5th turn. It has a ghostly appearance until the 3rd turn)

Temporary disadvantage -20% (-1 to Basic Speed since the armour is activated)

Can't Wear Armour -40% (It is already an armor, you can't wear a second armor together)

Nuisance Effect -10% (-2 reaction to anyone seeing the armor activation -The ghostly effect is a little bit scaring. After thar, -4 reaction in any situation in which a ful plate armor would cause a -4 reaction penalty)

Perk: Can use non protective clothes +1

Final cost: 75 -80% = 15+1 = 16

What do you think?
Don't see Switchable. Is that meant to be included in the custom 'Fade' limitation?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #50
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Then if the DR causes a similar reaction modifier, it's worth the Nuisance Effect rather than being considered a feature, because it's a real negative effect limiting the usage of the ability.
The OP refered to the negative reaction to armour mentioned in Basic Set. Accordingly, it seems he believes it is necessary to replicate that when the power armor appears. So what he wants is not a unique feature of THIS armour, but for this armour to replicate what is a general feature known about armour.

Tags
ampliations, armour, damage resistance, fade, limitations