Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 02-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #11
TippetsTX

Default Re: Health Rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Small humanoids (Halfling and Goblin) roll one less die against ST for "health" rolls. I.e. if a human would need to roll 4/ST or take 2d poison damage then a Halfling would need to roll 3/ST or take 2d poison damage. To balance that ST is more efficient for them have these tiny folk pay XP to advance ST as if their attribute total was two higher than it actually is.
I understand the desire to enforce some kind of 'hardiness' quality for Halflings given their racial description, but I wouldn't want to grant the same advantage to Gobilns. As a general rule, poisons should be more effective against small creatures.

One alternative approach to reducing the die roll might be to give Halflings a racial trait like "treat ST as 5 points higher for saving throws vs poison". Or create a race-specific talent like 'Hardy' (which hcobb presented in another thread).
Old 02-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #12
hcobb

My update also helps balance in Gargoyles and Reptile Men who have the listed ST in the sources without overpowering human warriors.

Munchkin Reptile Man kung fool warrior takes the lead and encounters goblins with poison arrows. Better luck next time.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #13
TippetsTX

Quote:
My update also helps balance in Gargoyles and Reptile Men who have the listed ST in the sources without overpowering human warriors.
We differ there I suppose. I believe high ST is its own reward and making adjustments to the number of dice rolled based solely on starting ST feels unnatural.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 02-07-2019 at 01:15 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #14
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
We differ there I suppose. I believe high ST is its own reward and making adjustments to the number of dice rolled based solely on starting ST feels unnatural.
Not on starting ST, but on size and the adjustment goes both ways. Large critters add ST easily, but need more of it to be considered healthy.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
TippetsTX

Quote:
Not on starting ST, but on size and the adjustment goes both ways. Large critters add ST easily, but need more of it to be considered healthy.
Yeah, I don't think that kind of adjustment is necessary either TBH. Attribute cost is what it is.

(...says the guy who won't be using RAW attribute costs ;))

Last edited by TippetsTX; 02-07-2019 at 03:54 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:18 AM   #16
Tywyll

I'm not sure why you wouldn't expect a giant to make its save versus the same poison that affects a humanoid. I get drunk off of X amount of alcohol, but that is determined by a number of factors including my size. The amount of alcohol that would get me floored, to a giant, is like a single shot or less and would therefore have little to no effect. It would need a giant sized portion. The same applies with most poisons. Healthy adults survive contact with poisonous substances all the time (albeit suffering sickness) that would severely harm or kill a cat or child.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote