Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Talent Synergies

Along the same lines as my Combo Spells post, what kind of enhanced effects from combined talents have others created in their games?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Talent Synergies

For example, what if a character w/ both UC V and Physicker could use their 'nerve blow' ability to temporarily paralyze their opponent?

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-22-2019 at 07:32 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:43 AM   #3
Tywyll

This sounds like a neat idea, did you ever do anything with it?
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
This sounds like a neat idea, did you ever do anything with it?
I've been focused on some other gameplay elements for my campaign, but TBH, my intent is really to let my players come up with these during their adventures. It's an aspect of creative problem solving that I like to encourage... if they can make a convincing case for a particular combination, I will usually allow it (and reward it).
Old 06-24-2019, 01:58 AM   #5
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I've been focused on some other gameplay elements for my campaign, but TBH, my intent is really to let my players come up with these during their adventures. It's an aspect of creative problem solving that I like to encourage... if they can make a convincing case for a particular combination, I will usually allow it (and reward it).
Please keep a record and share! :D
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
TippetsTX

One of my players came up with a good one... Streetwise + Mathematician = advantage at gambling. The character will be better at predicting the odds and perhaps 'counting cards' in order to sway the odds in his favor (for example, since most games of chance favor the 'house', I typically resolve them using a 4 or 5 die roll against IQ or maybe DX, but I would reduce by 1 die if the player uses this combo).

Other talents that would provide an advantage in gambling would be Business Sense and Detect Lies.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-22-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
Skarg

Those make sense, though I would probably add an actual gambling talent, or at least mini-knowledge details about which games a characters knows (and how well), and in which games and situations Business Sense or Detect Lies would be relevant or not... IF gambling situations were going to get focus in the game.

I had a player who took Animal Handling and Thief and tried training a Slinker to pick locks and pockets.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #8
TippetsTX

I'm running a city-based campaign where organized crime is a common element... hence the need for some abstracted gambling mechanics. I also considered adding a new talent to cover gambling, but reasoned that both Carousing and Streetwise would provide some baseline knowledge of various games of chance. The proposed combo with Mathematician was unexpected, but I like the creative synergy. I'm generally reticent to create new talents w/o a strong use case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I had a player who took Animal Handling and Thief and tried training a Slinker to pick locks and pockets.
That's a good one too. I'll have to add it to my list.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-22-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #9
TippetsTX

Creating dragonskin armor (assuming you can get access to the materials) would require a combination of Master Armorer, Expert Naturalist and possibly Alchemy. The same talents could also apply to working with the hide or other parts of various fanciful creatures.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:42 PM   #10
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Creating dragonskin armor (assuming you can get access to the materials) would require a combination of Master Armorer, Expert Naturalist and possibly Alchemy. The same talents could also apply to working with the hide or other parts of various fanciful creatures.
How about Tanner and Leatherworker? Those (and Masters in them) and Armorer/Master Armorer were the talents I listed when making a table of various types and qualities of dragon hide armor. I didn't think of Alchemist.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote