Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-30-2019, 10:48 PM   #21
David Johnston2

Default Re: What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be researching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
Humans came from Zhell.
Did they?

"We believe the Zhell were Humans — perhaps the original Human population that took to the stars when Imperial Center was known as Notron."
―Mesh Burzon[src]

That doesn't sound like a definite statement, and it's dubious considering that the Zhell were sharing Coruscant with another and quite different intelligent species.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:00 AM   #22
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Did they?

"We believe the Zhell were Humans — perhaps the original Human population that took to the stars when Imperial Center was known as Notron."
―Mesh Burzon[src]

That doesn't sound like a definite statement, and it's dubious considering that the Zhell were sharing Coruscant with another and quite different intelligent species.
Sounds kind of like the arguments among scholars in the late Imperial era of the Foundation novels, trying to use reason to figure out where humans came from. (And none of them had the correct world; the closest were a minority who thought humans might have originated on the planet orbiting Alpha Centauri B.) Perhaps your scientist has realized that none of the current theories regarding human origin have been properly tested yet, and seeks to track how genes have changed across the galaxy in order to find the homeworld.

I'm assuming that you're looking for your scientist character to have a ready reason to be traveling with this band of interstellar rogues and/or Jedi. Most high-tech scientific pursuits involve staying in one place, where your lab conditions can be carefully monitored; field research of one sort or another would really be the best reason to put an academic into harm's way.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:17 PM   #23
Maximum7

Yeah I’m looking for something that is exciting sounding but can’t alter the storyline in any way.
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:59 AM   #24
Phantasm

IIRC (in the old EU) the oldest pre-Republic human populations were on Coruscant, Alsakan (both in the Core Worlds), and Tion (in the Outer Rim, who fought a war with the Hutt Empire at the time the Republic was forming, and then the Republic in its early years). Not sure about the ages of Corellia and Alderaan, but IIRC they were believed to have been colonized from Coruscant at some point in prehistory due to various artifacts (Centerpoint Station and the Killiks, respectively).

What's the scientist's focus? Biology? Geology? Chemistry? Astrophysics? Genetics? Or is he multidisciplinary (with Science! - or your system's counterpart, as SWSE has Physical Sciences - rather than a bunch of individual skills)?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #25
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
IIRC (in the old EU) the oldest pre-Republic human populations were on Coruscant, Alsakan (both in the Core Worlds), and Tion (in the Outer Rim, who fought a war with the Hutt Empire at the time the Republic was forming, and then the Republic in its early years). Not sure about the ages of Corellia and Alderaan, but IIRC they were believed to have been colonized from Coruscant at some point in prehistory due to various artifacts (Centerpoint Station and the Killiks, respectively).

What's the scientist's focus? Biology? Geology? Chemistry? Astrophysics? Genetics? Or is he multidisciplinary (with Science! - or your system's counterpart, as SWSE has Physical Sciences - rather than a bunch of individual skills)?
Multidisciplinary
Old 02-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #26
Maximum7

My scientist could be working on anything in any field. He can even be working on something on social sciences.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:05 AM   #27
Lord Azagthoth

A scientist in my campaign was researching a strange, self-regenerating material they found on a backwaterwater planet.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #28
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Yeah I’m looking for something that is exciting sounding but can’t alter the storyline in any way.

This is kind of working at cross purposes. Its very difficult to make something with no effect exciting. What kinds of effects are acceptable?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #29
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
This is kind of working at cross purposes. Its very difficult to make something with no effect exciting. What kinds of effects are acceptable?
It should be somewhat interesting. Just nothing that would alter the story. E.g Immortality or Lasers that can punch through deflector shield. Also no technobabble. Have basis in real science.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #30
Irish Wolf

Quote:
It should be somewhat interesting. Just nothing that would alter the story. E.g Immortality or Lasers that can punch through deflector shield. Also no technobabble. Have basis in real science.
You're working in a universe that has hyperdrive, turbolasers, fighter-sized spaceships that make banking turns in vacuum, giant slug-worms that live in asteroids and generate an atmosphere in their intestines, and an order of knights that use the Force and laser swords. "A basis in real science" would seem almost a disqualifier here.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci fi, star wars, technology