Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
alexperience

Default Hand, Backpack, Charity

Hi all, I'm not incredibly new to Munchkin having played a few times, but I would like clarification on a few things:

At the end of your turn you are allowed to keep at most (unless otherwise specified) 5 cards in your hand. You would in theory keep cards you don't want to lose easily or that you don't want other people to know about.

If you have more than 5 cards,
  1. What exactly can you put in your backpack that you are not carrying (tapped/turned sideways on the table in front of you?
  2. How many things can you have in yoru backpack? What are the restrictions?
  3. Can you put monsters in yoru backpack?
  4. Are there any restrictions about trading with other people?
  5. Can you please clarify the restrictions for getting rid of Big Items?
  6. And lastly, during the charity phase, whatever does not get "played" goes to teh person with the lowest level, unless that's you, then it is discarded. Does that person get everything you're going to discard or only some items?

Thanks everyone. I know that's a lot of questions!

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 06-14-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Removed the death question
alexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Hand, Backpack, Charity, Death

There is no backpack, so please don't use that term. I'm moving this whole thread out of the Munchkin 101 forum because of using a non-official term so pervasively and we don't want to confuse new players and have them poring through the rules to find something that doesn't exist.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
alexperience

A helpful comment from you might have been to tell me what the correct term is so I can change it.

I'm afraid by you moving my questions elsewhere they won't get answered. I would welcome constructive comments that can help me improve my questions so that they can get answered.

What is the official term for cards not carried, not discarded and not in your hand?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

All Items put into play are carried. Some of your carried Items are used, and you are limited to how many you can use by the types of Item they are (Armor, Headgear, Footgear, Hand), though you can use an unlimited number of Items that don't belong to a "slot."

You are permitted to carry any number of Items (though you may only have one Big Item), and you may carry any Item, even if you can't use it (e.g., a second Armor Item, or an Item that can't be used by your Race or Class). Any Item you are not using must be turned sideways, as per the rules. The term "tapped" is also not a term from Munchkin, and shouldn't be used for that reason, but also since "tapped" means that the card has been used up, basically the opposite of what we want the sideways cards to indicate.

So, at the end of your turn during the Charity phase, you can play to the table any small Items you want to play, even one shot Items (since the rules say you can), even if you can't use the Item. You could also play Curses, GUALs, or other cards which the rules or the cards themselves say can be played at any time or at any time during your turn. If you still have more than 5 cards in your hand, then you must give the excess cards to the lowest Level player(s). If you happen to be the lowest Level player, or tied for lowest, then, and only then, can you just discard cards from your hand. If there are multiple players at the lowest Level, not including you, then you must do your best to give as close to the same number to everyone, so if you have 3 cards and 2 players, one's going to get 1, one's going to get 2.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 06-14-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexperience View Post
A helpful comment from you might have been to tell me what the correct term is so I can change it.

I'm afraid by you moving my questions elsewhere they won't get answered. I would welcome constructive comments that can help me improve my questions so that they can get answered.

What is the official term for cards not carried, not discarded and not in your hand?
I'm answering your question. I moved it to the main Munchkin forum, where it will still get answered, correctly, by me.

The official term for all Items in play is carried, since there seems to be some confusion.

Also, in the future, try to keep it to one question per thread, unless you're grouping together related questions.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 06-14-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
alexperience

Thank you for the answers everybody. This is all really helpful.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Sabin

For Alex's benefit, I have paired one of his specific sub-questions with its answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexperience View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
All Items put into play are carried. Some of your carried Items are used, and you are limited to how many you can use by the types of Item they are (Armor, Headgear, Footgear, Hand), though you can use an unlimited number of Items that don't belong to a "slot."
Your "backpack", as you call it, we call "Items you are carrying" and turn them sideways. Items that are upright and and in-use (many of which take up a "slot", like weapons and armor, and some don't, like Cloak of Obscurity) are called "Items you are using/wearing". Both of these groups are considered "Items you have in play".
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Hand, Backpack, Charity

Also, you can not "carry" Monsters, Curses, Classes, Races, and other non-Item cards. Only Items. You can normally only have one Class and one Race in play, and there are other cards you can have in play (e.g., Treasure cards which give a persistent bonus, like Hireling), but Items are the only type of card you can have extras of out that you aren't actively using.

The restrictions for trading are as written in the rules: Only Items, and only those that are in play (you can't trade Item cards) while you and your trading partner are not in combat (so, you can trade whenever, even if neither player involved in the trade is taking their game turn).

Also, the Big Item issue is spelled out directly in the rules. You can normally only have one, but if you have more than one due to some card allowing you to do so, when you lose that card, you must get rid of them according to how the rules say: If it's your turn, you can sell the Item(s), or you can trade with other players that have room for a Big Item, or if no one wants to trade, you must give it to the lowest Level player who has room. If there's no one that can take a Big Item, and no one will trade with you, and you can't sell it because it's not your turn or you don't have enough to make it to 1,000 G.P., then you can discard the excess Big Item(s).
MiB #1029
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Your "backpack", as you call it, we call "Items you are carrying" and turn them sideways. Items that are upright and and in-use (many of which take up a "slot", like weapons and armor, and some don't, like Cloak of Obscurity) are called "Items you are using/wearing". Both of these groups are considered "Items you have in play".
Except, as I said, all Items in play are carried, which your answer explicitly contradicts, and is therefore incorrect.

In play = carried.

Therefore:

Carried and not used = in play and turned sideways
Carried and used (or equipped) = in play and upright.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 06-14-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Sabin

Default Re: Hand, Backpack, Charity

My apologies for forgetting to add that distinction! I was trying to focus on clarifying the erroneous "backpack" term, and was less than thorough. I'll get better, though! :)
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backpack, cards, charity, death, hand