Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
Ubiquitous

Default Some questions about the Soldier skill

Someone's bound to have posted a thread on this before, but anyway;

What skills would Soldier cover? For setting' sake assume the TL is between 7-11; no swords or tourniquets but no need for military-grade disintegrator skill either.

I only ask because of niggling little skill-sets beyond 'Guns (Military Rifle)' is an obvious skill-use but Club (Butt-stock) wouldn't occur to me immediately.

Also, would a Mercenary skill be better represented;

As a skill like Solder.

As a Talent geared towards Merc-handy skills.
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Some questions about the Soldier skill

I find the question you are asking inobvious. If you are actually asking about the Soldier skill, then it would not include any weapon skills. Soldier is about more basic elements of the martial life, like camp sanitation, the operation of military radios, gesturing "you go right, and I'll go left", the correct use of protective gear, digging foxholes, erecting crude fortifications, and the like.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 AM   #3
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
What skills would Soldier cover? For setting' sake assume the TL is between 7-11; no swords or tourniquets but no need for military-grade disintegrator skill either.
Soldier *does not* cover combat skills. It allows the use of *routine* non-combat skills, but without the bonus someone with the other skill would get for such routine use. So while someone with Engineer (Combat) might roll at +4 or more to dig a proper foxhole, someone with Soldier would just roll at his base Soldier skill without a bonus.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
chris1982

Well, maybe I can get a warrior skill for my fighter hat covers all weapons as an IQ/Easy skill. Then I don't need him to have a high DX anymore... ;)
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
Johnny Angel

In the modern era it would probably cover things such as basic first aid, cleaning and maintaining a few of the more commonly used weapons, proper radio communication procedure, navigation, basic knowledge of squad level tactics, and a few other things.

I find the topic of what the skill means in other eras an interesting topic; it's something I've often pondered myself. In a setting where there are great variances among what different militaries are taught -say for example what elven infantry might learn compared to dwarven infantry- would it be reasonable for a GM to require some level of specialization? What are some of the non-combat skills a TL 2-3 conscript might learn (if anything)?
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
I find the topic of what the skill means in other eras an interesting topic; it's something I've often pondered myself. In a setting where there are great variances among what different militaries are taught -say for example what elven infantry might learn compared to dwarven infantry- would it be reasonable for a GM to require some level of specialization?
Realistically, it probably requires a specialization by nation, branch and era.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
davidtmoore

Quote:
In the modern era it would probably cover things such as basic first aid, cleaning and maintaining a few of the more commonly used weapons, proper radio communication procedure, navigation, basic knowledge of squad level tactics, and a few other things.

I find the topic of what the skill means in other eras an interesting topic; it's something I've often pondered myself. In a setting where there are great variances among what different militaries are taught -say for example what elven infantry might learn compared to dwarven infantry- would it be reasonable for a GM to require some level of specialization? What are some of the non-combat skills a TL 2-3 conscript might learn (if anything)?
A lot of digging and simple construction, I suspect, for much of history. Soldier/TL1-3 almost certainly includes training in digging latrines, building earthworks, erecting forts, etc.

Weapon maintenance would be universal. As Soldier/TL8 covers routine Armoury (Rifles)/TL8 tasks, so Soldier/TL3 covers routine Armoury (Melee Weapons)/TL3 tasks, and so on.

Ditto tactics. A Roman legionnaire with Soldier/TL2 can take his position in a tortoise or phalanx in the most efficient manner, while a British rifleman with Soldier/TL5 is experienced with the three-lines-of-fire formation.

With fantasy, I guess you need to decide if the "Soldier" profession really exists. Dwarves may well have Soldier/TL3, covering formations in tunnels, axe maintenance, that kind of thing, but elves are individualistic, graceful, yadda yadda, ad nauseam, and might not operate as "soldiers" at all.
davidtmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
sieurin

Realistically, it probably requires a specialization by nation, branch and era.

Couldn't it be covered by Cultural Familiarity? So when the orc guy with Soldier works for a human employer, there is a chance he will miss that "cure them for rations" is not a valid human tactic for "how do we get rid of the fallen?"?
sieurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
RyanW

Quote:
What are some of the non-combat skills a TL 2-3 conscript might learn (if anything)?
Soldiers of all TLs learn a lot of things in common. You don't march from Alesia to the Rubicon without knowing how to take care of your feet.

Building basic field fortifications - Hadrian's Wall required engineers, a fortified camp requires trained but not particularly specialized labor.

Basic heraldry - Who do you salute, and which flag do you stand under?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Basic heraldry - Who do you salute, and which flag do you stand under?
This I think is covered by Savior Faire(Military) rather than Soldier.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-28-2010 at 10:00 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation, soldier