Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 04:50 AM   #21
Causty

Location: The misty vales of Avalon, over yonder from the lofty towers of castle the locals call .. Manchester
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Been a little quiet for a while but I am getting really stoked about this .. I dont game as much as I would like too but I am seriously thinking of supporting the anthology and the starter game :)

On the Peds note, I was never a big arena champ and played more of a role playing type of game but I think that arena based combat would mean that peds running around would just make them cannon fodder and or a nice red mist (paint cloud rules anyone ?), and thus they would be seriously under powered and rules for them would be pretty pointless in this setting ... Where I think the rules for peds should come into their own is in a more highway/wasteland/city type of scenarios as the more story led scenarios and if Mad Max is anything to go by, the more open plan cars would lead to peds being more prevelant ...... (btw will we see Midville resed for 6th ?)

Last edited by Causty; 10-25-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:20 AM   #22
EdwardF

And while I'm on board with all of the above, we also played CW in the 80's as an RPG, but never felt that it allowed for the same levels of immersion that our D&D or CoC games held.

We wound up playing, as we would play Quake, and Unreal Tournament, in the following decade. Multiplayer Free For Alls, with laughs and bragging rights in full swing.

It's the likelihood of Organized Play, that's got me really stoked on this game. Certain other miniature games have a healthy following at my FLGS, and the prospect of seeing a table full of hood mounted .50's blasting away at each other, has me grinning.

I'm going all in on the KS - and can hardly wait for the release next year.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:25 AM   #23
Causty

Location: The misty vales of Avalon, over yonder from the lofty towers of castle the locals call .. Manchester

Something that just dawned on me ....

If I was to support the anthology kickstarter AND the game kickstarter I read I get a bonus for supporting both campaigns ... now how would this work if say I wanted the 4 player or say only the 2 player highway game ? would I have to order all 3 games to get the bonus ? or would it work with just one of them .. I guess supporting the kickstarter in the whole supprts the launch of said game and I just pick at the end which "pack" I go with ?

P.s. I remember my old Autodual Champions .. Will we see super heroes in the game ever ? LOL ......... Only joking ;)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #24
schoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardF View Post
It's the likelihood of Organized Play, that's got me really stoked on this game.
That's a concept.

I know many companies have official events that culminate in a "World Championship." FFG and X-Wing is a good example.

I'd love to see that for the new Car Wars!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #25
swordtart

I fear it was championships and the rules arguments that such things stimulate that probably killed the previous but 1 iteration of CW.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:15 AM   #26
schoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
I fear it was championships and the rules arguments that such things stimulate that probably killed the previous but 1 iteration of CW.
Rules arguments were definitely a problem - though I'm not sure that can only be attributed to competitive play.

Something tells me the rules of the new edition will be both more simple (though not simplistic) and robust.

Game design has come a long way since some of the old editions.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:06 AM   #27
swordtart

Games design may have moved on but people are still based on the original blueprints and can still be idiots. Rules arguments are probably a given (though as I get older I care less).

The issue is when rules arguments at "official" events result in "official rulings", that then get imposed on those of us who were perfectly happy with the way it was. We either have to revisit all our designs and play styles or become Heretics.

Once you start to house rule stuff away from the increasingly convoluted "official" line you start wondering why you are bothering with the official game at all and then you may decide to spawn your own home brew version (and possibly market it via kickstarter).

Just sayin'
Old 10-26-2016, 06:42 AM   #28
EdwardF

I've played at quite a few "Official Events" of SJGames, Munchkin in particular.

Coincidentally, I'll be attending the Halloween Munchkin Event at 7th Dimension Games in Jenkintown, PA this Saturday.

I will say, the insistence on a MIB at these games, has made them run much more smoothly, than other "Organized" play that I've witnessed.
MtG benefited from this as well.

High Five to Josh. See you Saturday.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #29
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
IMO, editing problems, which introduced many rules inconsistencies was one of the big things that killed the earlier iterations. If you hadn't been along for the ride and started with earlier versions, interpreting the later books became very difficult. Which was detrimental to the base of players.

In particular, when rules did get changed, the rules weren't always thoroughly scrubbed for side effects and other usage of the terms, which caused the meaning of other parts of the rules to change. I don't expect this to be much of a problem in the current era, as word processing has come a long way since the eighties.

Competitive games and championships do tend to exacerbate problems with rules. They aren't the source of them though.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Old 11-02-2016, 02:36 AM   #30
schoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Competitive games and championships do tend to exacerbate problems with rules. They aren't the source of them though.
Well said.

They don't create rules problems so much as throw the existing ones into sharp relief.
Closed Thread