Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #201
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

True. I'll buy 6e, but I won't dabble into the other realms. Not in the cards, not in the budget.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #202
JimTullis

MageSmiley, in order to get me to drop $8 per issue for a digital magazine I would need to see at least 1 story plus 1 article and a cartoon/table/faq type item dedicated to Car Wars.

Articles could be interviews, game reports, or detailed information about factions, drivers, or cars.

Articles and stories should be at least 1 page preferably 2. 1/4 of the page could have art or photos.

The third item would need to be at least half a page.

I'd buy a subscription if I knew at least 10 issues per year had the above minimum Car Wars content.

I don't role play, so I'm really not interested in any of the other stuff at all.

I'd probably pay $5-6 per issue for a dedicated magazine with just the above and $8-9 per for a magazine that went beyond that. I'd probably subscribe to a dedicated digital magazine.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:04 AM   #203
swordtart

If you aren't interested in the specific Genre of a Pyramid issue, if you are a GUPRPS player the mechanics might be applicable to other elements of GURPS. As a non-GURPS player I used to cross-pollinate useful material into the other systems I did play. Pyramid articles were often well written and GURPS mechanics were transparent enough to make conversion straightforward. I subscribed to get access to the back issues as well as I could find something useful and the $ to fact rate was good.

The themed issue approach put me off re-subscribing as the first few proposed issues contained nothing I was particularly interested in. I also already had all those back issues and so the $ per fact rate dropped well below what I was willing to support. I might have bought one issue once in a blue moon and so never got into the habit of subscribing. Once I wasn't subscribing I lost the view of what was coming and so stopped seeing the odd issue that might have been interesting. Net effect I stopped buying.

Unless CW 6th is going to be a GURPS supplement then I don't see how there is even going to be any useful cross-over with the rest of the content of the magazine. Surely all this material should be going into something like ADQ (which I thought was going to include extra cards to exemplify the new rules / factions etc).

If this content is background fiction then I would prefer a traditional fiction format like a book or comic (probably electronic to mitigate printing costs).

If it is "how we are doing" then I would expect it in a blog. I certainly won't pay for material that is there to encourage me to buy. I don't buy catalogues of company product. I accept that advertisements are part of the games magazine model as the advertising revenue offsets the production costs, but there has to be some other content that I am willing to pay for.

Of course there may be completists out there who have to have everything. I bought back issues of magazines to get every last scrap of the previous editions CW material. That was in the wilderness years when there was no content coming out and I needed my "fix". I wouldn't be doing that for a "live" product.

Last edited by swordtart; 10-06-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:14 AM   #204
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
I have to admit that I'm a bit curious how prevalent Car Wars articles would need to be in Pyramid for people here to pick up the issue. One article? Two? Would never buy one? (Mods, that might be worth considering a poll of some sort).
I wouldn't buy a Pyramid for a story or stories or basic setting material. It'd have to have either rules material (which seems unlikely if the 2016 vision is intact) or an arena and/or scenario article, and regardless of type the material would have to be very compelling.

However, I have long stated that I'm an unlikely target for the eventual game, so take that for what it's worth. :)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #205
MazeMonster
Banned

All told, I'm encouraged by the Car Wars background content in Pyramid. The original game debuted in an era when the industry was dominated by RPGs. For a beer and pretzels wargame, Car Wars had a remarkable amount of "fluff", which was part of its undeniable charm. Near future apocalyptic/dystopian Zeerust was the coin of the pop culture realm in the first half of the 80s. The background material was so compelling, it actually inspired vigorous debates over the metaplot completely unconnected to game mechanics. Anybody remember the anarchism debate between Lelslie Fish and Charles Oines in ADQ letters section? I'm very keen to see what the writers of the game will be doing with the world 100 years hence.

Last edited by MazeMonster; 10-10-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #206
JimTullis

MazeMonster, Have you read the current background stories in Pyramid?

If so how long are the stories?
Less than 1 page or Multiple Pages? Is there art?

Do you think they justify buying the back issues if we read none of the rest of the content?
Old 10-10-2017, 03:23 AM   #207
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
If so how long are the stories?
Less than 1 page or Multiple Pages? Is there art?
They're all single-page pieces, including heading and art. "Tech Support", which I've just picked at random, is about 450 words.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #208
adm

I would not recommend buying these issues, just to get the Car Wars stuff. If you are a GURPS player who likes Car Wars, they were a nice bonus. With luck, SJGames will put out a small .pdf file with just the Car Wars content, for Car Wars people.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #209
JimTullis

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in the USA.

I would be extremely thankful for a PDF of the Car Wars 6E bits from Pyramid.
I'd even be thankful enough to spend $10 on it.

I'd also be thankful for any official scrap of news concerning 6E.

Currently most interested in...

An ETA of any sort. Even if it's a goal of a particular convention in 2018/2019.
(I only get to go to one convention each year, I would hate to find out that something major happened with Car Wars at Origins or GenCon and I chose the wrong convention. I'm planning to do nothing but CW 6E at whichever con it debuts at.)

A good idea of the max size (l,w,h) of cars and the size of cards for carry case / storage planning.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:04 AM   #210
schoon

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful that we've had Car Wars for so many years AND that we're getting a new edition.

...and that we've got a great community here.
Closed Thread