Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
JimTullis

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncrush View Post
MTG cards are metric, rounded down from 2.5 x 3.5 inches to the nearest whole mm, 63 x 88. This was a result of them being originally printed by Carta Mundi.
Yup, just one more issue (along with A4 paper) caused by our Failure to Convert in the 70s. :(

For a very long time Carta Mundi was the printer for CCGs (not just MTG), leading to some really funky misprints like MTG cards with Wyvern backs. (I wish I still had mine :( )

CCG and Board Game cards have sizes that run all over the place. Some of this is caused by printing houses using only either Metric or Imperial and some of it is caused by the desire to have cards that stand out from other cards. Some game makers do this to keep you from accidentally shuffling two different types of decks together during a game (say dungeons/portals vs treasure/doors), other game makers do it just to make their cards stand out from other games, and a third type of game makers do it just because of cost (smaller cards cost less, or they got a deal on a certain size card from the printer).

ALL of this is why I'm currently interested in knowing where SJ Games is going with card sizes and stock for Car Wars. It would be nice to be able to pre order (and decorate) some sleeving and storage solutions while waiting for the game. Then we can have a headstart when it arrives.