Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2022, 11:09 PM   #51
Polydamas

Default Re: Ideas:'Revolutionary' late 2030s Handgun for Black Ops/Horror/lite Sci-Fi setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Eh, it might not seem to be a big deal in Australia where they're all illegal but in the US big honking pistols can be simply bought with a 3 day waiting period (LC3/4) but full auto carbines have major licensing requirements (LC2).

Note that I would not trade the 6D P+ of the S&W .500 for a 5D P (or less) carbine without a full auto feature. Never mind those P- PDWs.
The semi-automatic versions of those carbines and PDWs are not subject to restrictions on automatic weapons (although sometimes to restrictions on assault weapons / tactical rifles), and they are much much more effective at hitting in combat. In the real world, almost any long gun seems superior to a handgun as a combat weapon. But a black ops / monster hunters game might be different.

Where do you get 6d for S&W .500 out of a handgun-length barrel? The carbine or PDW will have more shots and be quicker to reload than the giant revolver ...

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:40 PM   #52
Agemegos

Default Re: Ideas:'Revolutionary' late 2030s Handgun for Black Ops/Horror/lite Sci-Fi setting

The equivalent of a S&W model 29, a Colt Anaconda, a Desert Eagle, or an Auto Mag is not going to be revolutionary in 2035. The revolvers are 1950s tech and the autoloaders are 1970s tech.

The reason that those are curiosities rather than in actual use as weapons has nothing to do with needing improvements to smokeless powder or upgrades to the guns to handle better propellants. We already can and do make actions that are strong enough to fire cartridges that are too powerful. Stupidly overpowered handguns are old hat.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:06 AM   #53
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post

Where do you get 6d for S&W .500 out of a handgun-length barrel? ...
Doug Cole got 6D for the S&W when it came out. It's not a ridiculous number for 600 grains at over 2000 fps..
Old 07-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #54
Donny Brook

A breakthrough in EM tech in 2034 allows a cartridge-sized magnetic bottle to hold about 1.5kg of pseudo-mass. In the new IMI Planitium Eagle (in .50 caseless) the ignition of each round activates a pizoe-electric charge that causes momentary conversion of the pseudo-mass to real mass at the instant of firing. This reduces Rcl to 2 compared to the archaic Desert Eagle 4. The Planitium Eagle is also capable of selective fire (single, 2-round burst, or full auto), and the caseless ammo allows a magazine capacity of 11+1. In 2-round mode it operates at a high-cyclic rate (HT83) giving Rcl 1 for the burst. SAPHE rounds are standard for military applications.

It comes with an integrated laser sight (switchable between visible, IR and UV modes) and an interface jack and/or encrypted Bluetooth connectivity to link to either worn or implanted optics. The onboard processor includes computer targeting software for +1 or it can be slaved to whatever the user is equipped with.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:39 PM   #55
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
The equivalent of a S&W model 29, a Colt Anaconda, a Desert Eagle, or an Auto Mag is not going to be revolutionary in 2035. The revolvers are 1950s tech and the autoloaders are 1970s tech.

The reason that those are curiosities rather than in actual use as weapons has nothing to do with needing improvements to smokeless powder or upgrades to the guns to handle better propellants. We already can and do make actions that are strong enough to fire cartridges that are too powerful. Stupidly overpowered handguns are old hat.
Parenthically, Robert Engen's "Canadians under Fire" has some beautifully bitter comments by army officers fresh back from combat in 1945 about the Browning HP. The problem was that it was a handgun.

I think they would have loved something like the Winchester M1 carbine let alone a modern PDW or assault carbine.

The Canadian Forces still used the HP this century, partially because of a terrible procurement system, but mostly because later handguns are not that much more effective as military weapons (they are lighter and easier to mount with optics and electronics, but still have sharply limited effective range and energy).

But its possible that against targets with greater size, durability, and vitality than a human being one of these giant pistols might be practical.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 07-02-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:04 PM   #56
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Triple Action Thunder is a Breech-loading, single shot handgun designed to fire the .50 BMG cartridge and developed by Triple Action LLC, an FFL based in Logan, Utah -- Wikipedia.

An obvious stunt rather than a practical weapon. Easy to find a shooter of this combo -- just look for the guy whose arms are very short and in elaborate casts.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:47 PM   #57
agentdenton
Banned

The original gyrojet got a bad rep because one batch of ammo was defective and innacurate. Modern tech makes it easier to produce ammo to tne needed standards.

How about a 2 stage gygrojet? A kicker charge gets the bullet moving and spins it down a rifled barrel for stability, the rocket cuts in and boosts the speed up at about the end of the barrel.
agentdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #58
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdenton View Post
How about a 2 stage gygrojet? A kicker charge gets the bullet moving and spins it down a rifled barrel for stability, the rocket cuts in and boosts the speed up at about the end of the barrel.
I've imagined that a few times, basically loading a modified gyrojet round into a shotgun shell, and I think I'm not the first one (or even the hundredth) to have that idea.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:22 PM   #59
agentdenton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I've imagined that a few times, basically loading a modified gyrojet round into a shotgun shell, and I think I'm not the first one (or even the hundredth) to have that idea.
Didn't see it mentioned earlier in the thread, charo.
agentdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #60
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdenton View Post
Didn't see it mentioned earlier in the thread, charo.
I didn't either, I was talking about other threads on other forums.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, tech level